Health Discovery Network
Sign in to follow this  
LegalEagle

Cabbage

Happy St. Patrick's Day, buddies....

I have a question re. cabbage. I have been reading that some people "fry" cabbage for a zero point, filling, dish.

Do any of you have a special way you do this., i.e., spices, etc., or any other recipes (doesn't have to be fried). I am completely void in the cabbage area.

I have an enormous head of cabbage staring me in the eye every time I open the fridg.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hugs,

Dawna

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please everyone". - Bill Cosby

A lot of people in the south boil that stuff to death. While this isn't fried, it's still a great way to eat it ... nuke it in the microvwave. Chop it up some, put in a covered casserole dish, nuke it on high for 10 minutes or so depending on the size of your casserole. Mine is a 3 quart, it's stuffed when I do it, takes 9 minutes. You can even dice up some potatoes and cook those at the same time. Here's the part those southern gals haven't tried ... give it a few squirts of butter spray instead of dousing it in vinegar. It's delicious. It's still slightly crisp yet it's done.

Check out the cabbage casserole with tvp recipe. Once you make that, you'll have a head of cabbage staring at you only long enough to make that again and again. It's low points, very filling, loaded with protein and fiber, and just plain good. It doesn't taste like cabbage for those that are reluctant to give it a try.

I remember another recipe where they cut the cabbage head into 4 wedges, put a slice of bacon on it, wrapped it in foil, baked it, but didn't eat the bacon. Or maybe it was tossed on a grill. Haven't tried that one, not sure I want the bacon grease in my body although it sure sounds good with the bacon flavoring.

Maybe that'll give you a couple of ways to enjoy that staring head of cabbage. smile.gif I love cabbage. It's good raw added to your lettuce salads too.

Thank you! I'm going to try your idea for tonight, and thank you for the one you bumped up for me. I have printed that one out as well.

BTW, I looked for the Cabbage casserole with TVP, and I can't find it. Do you know where it is?

Hugs,

Dawna

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please everyone". - Bill Cosby

Dawna, I bumped up that Cabbage Roll Casserole for you - it's under Entrees, Beef & Pork.

I stir-fry cabbage quite often - just quarter the head and remove the core, then cut cross-wise across the wedges into 1/4" strips.

Heat up a large nonstick skillet and spray with olive oil or butter flavored Pam. Get the pan good and hot - I use towards the high end of medium high on my electric stove. Add a slivered onion if you like and toss it around a bit til just starting to brown. Add the cabbage to the skillet, stir-fry it for a few minutes, then add maybe 1/4 cup water and cover to let it steam down a bit.

Add some butter spray and/or some cider vinegar to taste; if I have points for it I'll add some bacon bits.

It's good stuff! Good for you too!

How about coleslaw? There are a couple good recipes on here someplace for low points coleslaw that I've tried - one was something like "Kentucky Fried Chicken Coleslaw" or some such - if I can find it I'll bump it up too!

Hugs

Char

I stir-fry cabbage frequently (usually using the prepackaged cole slaw mix). I just spray the pan with Pam, fill the pan with cabbage and any seasonings that appeal to me and cook for a few minutes. I frequently add chipolte pepper flakes to jazz it up a bit. When I want a one-dish meal, I chop up some LF sausage (the Yorkshire Farms Andouille Turkey Sausage is my favorite), when the sausage is hot add the cabbage, and when the cabbage is wilted add a cup of bulger or other grains. This makes a huge, filling meal for 4 or 5 points (depends how much sausage I use).

Peggy

215/155/160 <br />Start day 8/06/01<br />Achieved goal 4/22/02!

Thanks guys, These recipes look great!

I ended up frying it last night in a little butter pam, with salt & pepper. DH loved it, but I thought it was a little flat...don't know why I'm so lacking in creativity when it comes to cabbage. Anyway, this barely made a "dent" in the big head of cabbage, so I'm going to try another one of your ideas tonight.

I'll let you know how it comes out.

Char: I LOVE cole slaw, however, I've never been able to find a good low-pointed dressing for it.

I'm going over to check out that recipe you bumped up for me. Thanks, girlfriend!

Hugs,

Dawna

Guest mrszotz

Hi Dawna wave.gif

I just watched an episode of Good Eats on cabbage!! Here are Alton's recipes, you can easily change some of the ingredients to make them more point friendly :D

Shred, Head, Butter and Bread

Recipe courtesy Alton Brown

1/2 stick unsalted butter

1/2 cup pulverized, seasoned croutons

2 pinches dry mustard

1 teaspoon caraway seeds

1 small head cabbage, shredded

1 tablespoon kosher salt

1 tablespoon sugar

Fill your largest pot 3/4 full with water and bring to a boil on high heat.

Melt the butter and croutons in a skillet. Add the mustard and caraway seeds and stir over medium heat until the butter browns and smells nutty. Remove the skillet from the heat, but leave dressing in the pan.

Add the salt and sugar to the boiling water and cook until dissolved. Place the cabbage in the boiling water and cook for 2 minutes exactly.

Drain the cabbage in the bowl of the salad spinner or colander. Spin the cabbage to remove any excess water. Add the cabbage to the butter-crumb dressing and toss to coat thoroughly.

Yield: 4 servings

Prep Time: 20 minutes

Cook Time: 10 minutes

Home of the Braise

Recipe courtesy Alton Brown

2 tablespoons canola oil

1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, and cubed

1 pint unfiltered apple juice

1/4-teaspoon caraway seeds

1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt

Freshly ground black pepper

1/2 head of red cabbage, shredded

Heat the canola oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the apple to the pan and cook until lightly browned. Increase the heat to high and add the apple juice, caraway seeds, salt, pepper and cabbage to the pan. Cover the pan and shake to toss the cabbage to coat.

Reduce the heat to low and cook for 20 minutes.

Yield: 4 servings

Prep Time: 30 minutes

Cook Time: 30 minutes

They looked really good on the show!! I think that caraway seed really pops the flavor of cabbage. Let us know if you try one of his recipes thumbup.gif smile.gif

Mary

We love cabbage at our house. I like to saute it in a pan with nonstick spray and at the end add a little soy sauce and sesame oil to taste and serve with chinese style meats or just saute with butter flavored spray, salt and pepper and then serve with a mustard/horseradish/sourcream sauce. It's great with smoked meats such as ham, sausage or also corned beef.

Susan wave.gif

SW 251.5/CW 241.5/GW 145

Bump, since we just past St. Patrick's Day again, and I was wondering what to do with the rest of my cabbage. Maybe I am not the only one.

Marianne

No problem eating cabbage at my house. smile.gif Chopped up a head of it today and added it to 0 point veggie soup. It's yummy done that way, takes on a slightly sweet flavor for some reason. I doctor it up with Cajun spices for a little kick.

Anyone else tried the cabbage casserole with tvp? It's great stuff. Think I'll buy more cabbage and mix up a big old pan of that this week.

Guest p.c.

I cook mine in the pressure cooker (I'm from the South!). Quarter it, add a handful of baby carrots and a quartered potato and cook til done. Spray with ICBINB, salt and pepper and you have a yummy, filling veggie dinner.

I am the only one in my family who likes cooked cabbage. I like it cooked to death too! (southern roots showing!) Because I like cabbage this thread caught my eye. I like to fix it from time to time much to my families dread... (only I eat it!) It stinks up the whole house when it is boiled.. Does it smell as bad when you 'fry' it. I might try it..

Curious... What is TVP referring to in this thread? _____,Vegetable, potatoe? Turnip, tomato? My mother grew up in the country and they made some sort of cooked down tomatoes that they put on their cooked cabbage. Whuzza TVP?????

Joined WW 12/29/03<br />SW 259<br />CW 242<br />GW-145<br />Personal goal - 130

TVP is textured vegetable protein, it's a soy product. Tell ya what, go find a bag of Bob's Red Mill tvp, it's smallish chunks, add 4 tablespoons (or 1 packet) Taco seasoning mix to 1 cup hot water, add 1 cup dry tvp, stir it up and let it rehydrate. Fill some taco shells with it, add the usual stuff like chopped lettuce, tomatoes, and salsa, serve it to your family and see if any of them guess it's not real meat. It's every bit as good if not better than the meat served at Taco Bell.

I regularly use it mixed with ground beef in various dishes. It takes on the flavor of what you cook it in. It's fat free, high in protein, and more than budget friendly.

You'll find lots more info searching down in the Mess Hall and recipes too. Made Paris' Ole Chili Mac using tvp for the meat, the SU (Spousal Unit) couldn't tell the difference. In fact, he's so wary at times with the strange things I make, he asked "What are those things in there that look like noodles?" They WERE noodles for a change. Is he gun shy? Ehh, maybe a little. smile.gif

LOL, Frisky! :D

Aren't you GLAD you were able to say that they were NOODLES?!....Whew. Close call! ;) :D

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile

P.S. And to answer your question, Dawna. I "roast" my cabbage, just like my other veggies. I slice it in 1" slices, and lay it on my Reynolds non-stick foil, lightly sprayed with olive oil. Lightly spray the cabbbage, and you can sprinkle on some kosher salt, if wanted. 425 degree oven for 20-25 minutes until cooked, with slight browning. Delicious!

I love to make too much and have left-overs~

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile

Where can I buy the TVP product. Trader Joes? Health food store? Veggie area of the regular grocery store? In a box, bag or can?

Sounds like it would be worth trying.

Thanks for the quick response to my inquiry before. I am sure I might not be the only newbie wondering what TVP was...

Joined WW 12/29/03<br />SW 259<br />CW 242<br />GW-145<br />Personal goal - 130

Where to buy: health food stores, organic food stores, Trader Joes, Whole Foods, and Kroger to name a few.

Bob's Red Mill packages it in a bag, here's a picture of it:

http://www.bobsredmill.com/catalog/index.php?action=showdetails&product_ID=396

Some health/organic stores have it in bulk bins but the only one near me has rather large chunks that look like dog food so I stick to buying the bags put out by Bob's Red Mill.

In Kroger, it's in the "Natural" products aisle. Beats me why they call it that but in my store it's in Aisle 4. That may or not help you depending on if you have a Kroger or if the store is laid out the same. Wherever they have the health food stuff is where you'll find it. Usually it's across the aisle from where they have the diet food products.

If you're hesitant, try 1/2 ground beef and 1/2 tvp. Or go all the way, make it 100% tvp and wait for the comments to pour in about how good that particular recipe tastes.

TVP by itself doesn't taste all that great. It needs to be added to spicey stuff like taco seasoning or chili. It rehydrates quickly, ready to eat in a few minutes time. If my SU will eat it as Taco Meat, it passes any test I can put it to. smile.gif

I steam my cabbage with a few drops of crab boil added to the steam water. It is so good. A small red potatoes added is wonderful, too. I loved how the fried cabbage sounded and am going to try that here. Love, Cinde wave.gif

"There's so much to be done, count all the bees in the hive, chase all the clouds from the sky."CINDE SW 219-CW 184-GW 150-10% goal reached 04/13/02