Health Discovery Network
Sign in to follow this  
Giselle*sMom

Anyone use bulgur as "fried rice"?

Just curious to know if anyone has had any experience with bulgur and using it as a fried rice. I just had an insane craving for chinese food and thought it would be cool to use bulgur instead of white rice. Any input and/or recipe ideas appreciated. Thanks!

Sincerely,

Cat

HW167 / WW140 / CW125

Hey, you must be reading my mind... I've been craving this... And I have the ingredients...

I did make it before and used precooked bulgur in a frying pan(w/ pam) and added egg Beaters, spices, onions, garlic, and soy/worcestshire sauce. Twas good :D

Sorry I don't have a recipe.

Its worth every ounce of determination and self-discipline required to make this a lifestyle!

Highest weight:258

Current weight: 158

Monmis,

Thanks, that's exactly what I needed to know! Just wanted to make sure that it didn't fall apart or have some funny texture during the "frying" part. I'm gonna try this tonight. :D

Sincerely,

Cat

HW167 / WW140 / CW125

I've done it before and it was great! I used pre-cooked bulgar and had a WW Fried Rice recipe that worked wonderfully~

Did yours turn out well? Carol

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile

Carol,

I just made this and it turned out yummy!

My ingredients:

4c cooked bulgur (8 pts)

1/2c egg substitute (1 pt)

2 tbs ready chopped garlic (0 pt)

1 c chopped onion (1 pt, book says 0 for uncooked, but I figured it was cooked in the end so I counted as 1 to be safe)

3 Sliced Louis Kemp Fat Free Imitation Crab Legs (1 pt)

Soy Sauce

Cooking spray

I spritzed pan with cooking spray, and make sure you have a pan big enough for all that bulgur! Cooked garlic and onion first, then added the bulgur, egg substitute, imitation crab and added soy sauce to taste. Cooked until the egg firmed up.

It comes out to 12 points for the whole thing and I simply divided # servings to get about 3-4 points per serving.

I'm also a soy sauce junkie (I know, so much sodium), so I added even more after I cooked it. This is pretty good if you need that "fix".

You could also add more veggies to give it more bulk and decrease points per serving. I was thinking of adding carrots and snow peas for the next time I make it. See ya later wave.gif

Sincerely,

Cat

HW167 / WW140 / CW125

Mmmm...sounds good, Cat!

I just think "bulgar" when I hear "rice" now...! Haven't made "bulgar pudding" yet, but I plan on it!! ;) tongue.gif

By the way, I always count cooked bulgar as 2 points per cup? Is that a misprint?

Thanks for the great idea~ wave.gif Carol

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile

Whhhooooops, yes, that was a misprint. I meant 8 points for the 4 cups! Thanks for pointing that out...I've corrected it!

Sincerely,

Cat

HW167 / WW140 / CW125

And by the bye, you can UNCOUNT your onion - the 1 point is for a cup of COOKED onion, measured AFTER cooking - which is a LOT more onion than a cup of raw onion which you then cook.

It takes a lot of chopped cooked onions to total 1 cup. Try it - chop a cup, cook it, then measure it - depending on how much it cooked, the volume will be half or less of what you started with!

Char

Oh CAT...this sounds yummy...and I've got all the ingredients...guess I know what we are having for dinner tonight!! Thanks for posting! :D

Robyn

O ne<br />U nplanned<br />C hoice<br />H urts<br /><br />Pre WW Loss 12 lbs<br />WW Start 11/11/02<br />WW loss to date 65.2 lbs<br />Loss this week -0.4 lbs<br />Total loss to date 77.2 lbs

Oh, thanks Char! I think I would probably add more egg to use up that one point! Or perhaps some shrimp? Hmmmmmm...the things I can do!

Robyn, hope you liked it!

Sincerely,

Cat

HW167 / WW140 / CW125

CAT...

Made your "fried rice" leaving out the imitation crab and adding the carrots and snow peas. It was GREAT and very colorful! smile.gif Served it with a broccoli/shrimp stirfry...YUM!! thumbup.gif Thanks again!

Robyn wave.gif

O ne<br />U nplanned<br />C hoice<br />H urts<br /><br />Pre WW Loss 12 lbs<br />WW Start 11/11/02<br />WW loss to date 65.2 lbs<br />Loss this week -0.4 lbs<br />Total loss to date 77.2 lbs

I live 20 miles from the nearest bulgar, so I guess I need to make another trip! This sounds like a really good supper one night with a Shrimp stir fry. I live in a shrimp area so I was thrilled to see how low the points were cause I love it! Oops sorry got off the subject. Anyway will try this next week. Rhonda wave.gif

Hugs, Rhonda<br /><br />"Plans fail for lack of counsel, but with many advisors they succeed" Proverbs l5:22<br /><br /> 5'5"<br /> WWSW-190<br /> CW-174<br /> WWGW-150<br /> PGW-145<br /><br />NEVER GIVE UP! NEVER SURRENDER!<br />GALAXY QUEST

Robyn,

Glad you liked it!

I had my leftovers for dinner again tonight...yum yum. I reheated it in a frying pan and added a little more fresh garlic and soy sauce. I really think the soy sauce is what "makes" it. There's something about cooking it with the soy sauce rather than adding it on afterward. Tastes different and more savory to me!

RhondaD, I am definitely going to try it with shrimps next time! I hope you enjoy it too!

Sincerely,

Cat

HW167 / WW140 / CW125

This sounds so good!!!! Thank you!!!! (The best part is I have everything I need to make it!)

5'6"/SW 230/CW 151/WWG 145/PG 135

Guest Christym1969

This may sound dumb but what is Bulgar? I never heard of it til I saw it on this board.

Guest Christym1969

Thanks Cat! I will have to try it if I can find it. I'm not sure if our stores sell it here. I will have to try to find it at the health food store. Thanks again!

Alrighty gals...

I have bulgar, but I am going to get other stuff to make this next week. I am going to put salad size shrimp, small pieces of broccoli and shredded carrot...YUMMMMMM...my stomach is already growling! lol

Thank you SOOOO much for this idea.

Kristi

5.8 POUNDS ARE GONE FOREVER!!!! THANKS WW!<br />207.8/202.0/150

Guest Christym1969

Hi I just bought some Bulgar today and made it. I can't say it would be a favorite of mine. I made it according to the directions on the package maybe I need to try some other recipes. I thought it reminded me of cream of wheat cereal which I don't really like either. I will have to try out some of the recipes you all posted.

Hi Christy,

Booo, sorry to hear you didn't like it. I have never had cream of wheat, so I can't compare. When I make mine, it really has a consistency that is like white rice.

Maybe you will like it better with some of the other recipe suggestions. Tonight I made a batch and mixed in one cup of it with my plate of veggie stir fry. It was good, very rice-like.

I want to try it for breakfast, like an oatmeal thing. Maybe add some apples and cinammon.

Good luck when you try it again next time!

Sincerely,

Cat

HW167 / WW140 / CW125

bump

Maureen

235/186.2/155

Made Goal 1/26/05:crazy:

Made Lifetime 3/9/05:headover:

Getting healthy is hard but NOT impossible!!!:)

I bought some Bulgar yesterday, cooked it up in the microwave- it turned out nice and fluffy. I made some "fried rice" with it and boy is it yummy!!

Made some today on the stove and it turned out more like risotto. Made more fried rice with it- used lots of carrot, celery, onion, cabbage, a few peas, egg sub. and diced up some lean pork loin that I had made a chinese bbq marinade for.

It is fantastic. I was afraid since it had turned out more pasty that it wouldn't work but it is still great. I could eat this everyday for lunch!!!

Thanks so much for giving me the courage to try bulgar!!! :D

Susan

SW 251.5/CW 241.5/GW 145

Gosh, your all making me crazy. I had Bulgar for breakfast this morning. I used 1 C Cooked, added a packet of splenda, 1/8 c Raisins, a few sprinkles of Cinnamon and 1/4 c FF Milk. Nuked it till hot.....and oh my.....super delicious.

Now, since I have another cup of it in the fridge ready to go.....I have some frozen cooked shrimp in the freezer that defrosts quickly under cold water. I will sautee the shrimp with garlic, teriayki sauce (low sodium brand) and some ginger. Then toss in the bulgar and see what happens. Maybe it will taste good !! Will let you guys know. If anyone has any "EASY" ideas for recipes please share. Later........ wave.gif

Janet :D

Joined WW May 5,2003<br />SW: 237<br />CW: 186.8<br />GW: 130 <br />Joined Curves on 8/6/03. Love it!<br /><br />"Always take care of You first".

I also made it today for my supper. Pretty easy and really good. I made only half the amount and I added thinly sliced carrots, 1/4 cup frozen peas and mushrooms. thumbup.gif