Health Discovery Network
Sign in to follow this  
motivated1

Zucchinni crust for pizza

I have found high point recipes for this, and tried to invent one on my own last night, but it needs some tweaking, maybe you can help!

I grated 3 large zucchinni, salted it and let it drain 15 minutes, squeezed out the liquid. Added 2 cloves chopped garlic, 1/4 c. parmesan and 1/4 cup flour, some Chef Paul Hot and Spicy Italian Seasoning, and baked it in 400 degree over on a pizza pan I had sprayed with Pam.

It was yummy, but not as crispy as I had hoped.

Any suggestions?? :confused: I ideally would like to top it with some sauce and more veggies.

Points for my concoction: 1/2 "pizza" 3 points

I would add 1 t. baking powder to the ingredients - the little bit of "poofing" will make it easier to dry out as it bakes.

It sounds yummy, and I will be trying it soon. Maybe tonight....

Gaining Momentum and losing weight!

Guest mrszotz

Hello wave.gif

The recipe I use for zucchini crust is...

3 cups shredded zucchini (strained for 30 minutes then squeeze out any remaining liquid)

1/2 cup egg beaters (I've used egg whites with good results too)

1/3 cup whole wheat flour

1/2 teaspoon salt

I use the same baking you did... mine come out pretty crispy. Maybe it's the addition of the egg beaters?? I have a quiche recipe that uses a zucchini as the crust and I add egg whites to that and it's crispy.

Hope that helps a little smile.gif

Cool. Do you have the points calculated on this Mrs. Zotz?

Jessica (in Seattle)

5'6"

HW: 204.4

CW: 165.6

WWG: 148

PG: 135

Getting back to goal

Do you peel the zucchini before you shred it, or leave the skin on?

Started 08/21/02<br /><br />194.6\145\133.2\130(ish)<br />SW\WW Goal\CW\Personal Goal<br /><br />Got 10% keychain - 10/30/02<br />2nd 10% keychain - 01/22/03<br /><br />GOAL! - 04/02/03<br />Lifetime - 05/07/03

Guest mrszotz

I guess it would help to post the nutritional information wouldn't it?!?! :D

I don't peel the zuchinni... I think it needs the added texture.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Zucchini Crust

3 cups shredded zucchini -- strained for 30 minutes, then squeezed to make sure all liquid is gone

1/2 cup Egg Beaters® 99% egg substitute -- or egg whites

1/2 teaspoon salt

Mix all ingredients together very well. Spray pizza pan with a little pam and spread mixture evenly over pan. Bake at 425 for 8-10 minutes.

With Zucchini:

Per Recipe: 235 Calories; 1g Fat; 19g Protein; 42g Carbohydrate; 7g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 1249mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 Grain(Starch); 1 1/2 Lean Meat; 2 Vegetable; 0 Fat.

Without Zucchini:

Per Recipe: 183 Calories; 1g Fat; 15g Protein; 31g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 1238mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 Grain(Starch); 1 1/2 Lean Meat; 0 Fat.

Hope that helps!!

Mary

Thanks for the helpful hints!! I will get some more zucchinni and try out adding the egg and whole wheat flour for some CRUNCH!!

Guest FirstCavWife

I have never heard of such a thing as a zucchinni crust!!!! I am definitely interested!!! The first thing that I wondered was if a baking stone would help with the crunch factor? I don't have any zucchinni....or I would try it tonight!!!

Your thoughts?

-Dawn

Great. Thanks. I can't wait to try this out. smile.gif

Jessica (in Seattle)

5'6"

HW: 204.4

CW: 165.6

WWG: 148

PG: 135

Getting back to goal

Mary, I made another one last night, using your recipe and it was fantastic!! I baked mine longer because I used a lot of zucchinni, then when it was firm, I topped it with spaghetti sauce, LF cheese, mushrooms and turkey pepperoni!!

Fantastic!

I can't wait for lunch today, I am having leftovers!!!

Thanks for the help!!

I've got this in the oven right now (couldn't wait for lunch LOL!) but I'm not sure I did this right. I drained the zucchini as much as I could, but when I added it to the egg whites and flour mixture it had a lot of moisture. I wasn't sure if I should drain it again cause maybe it was the eggs or not so I didn't. Hope it turns out OK.

Joanne

SW 252.6/WWG 157/2013 Restart 192.6:bcb_huh:/CW189

Ok, so it was more like a zucchini frittata than a pizza, but it was really tasty and filling. I may try drying the zucchini even longer next time or maybe salting it to get more water out. Either way, I will be making this a regular. It's a great way to start your day with plenty of veggies!

Joanne

SW 252.6/WWG 157/2013 Restart 192.6:bcb_huh:/CW189

Guest mrszotz

I just couldn't get pizza out of mind so I made one for lunch... I ate the whole thing too!! Here's my recipe...

* Exported from MasterCook *

Zucchini Crust Pizza

Recipe By: Mary Z

Servings: 1

Points per serving: 6.5

Crust:

3 cups shredded zucchini -- strained for 30 minutes, then squeezed to make sure all liquid is gone

1/3 cup Egg Beaters® 99% egg substitute

1/2 teaspoon salt -- add to shredded zucchini so it helps with liquid removal

Toppings:

1/3 cup Ragú Tomato & Basil Light Pasta Sauce

1 cup sliced mushrooms -- thinly sliced

1/4 cup sliced olives

1/3 cup chopped onions

1/2 cup chopped tomatoes

1/3 cup chopped green bell pepper -- I like to use red, orange, yellow, and green together

1/3 cup lowfat part-skim mozzarella cheese

1 tablespoon parmesan cheese

Mix all crust ingredients together very well. Spray pizza pan with a little pam and spread mixture evenly over pan. Bake at 425 for 8-10 minutes. When crust is done, layer other ingredients on top and bake for 10 minutes. Broil for another 2 minutes. (Vegetables were not added to the nutritional information)

Per Serving: 328 Calories; 9g Fat; 26g Protein; 39g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 24mg Cholesterol; 1733mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 1/2 Grain(Starch); 2 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Fat.

I am stuffed :D

Mary Z

MAN, this looks good, Mary!!

Thanks for sharing your "lunch" with us! :D ;) Carol

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile

This is SO GOOD!

I saw this months ago but just made it.

I used:

2 cups shredded zucchini

1/2 of 1/3 of a cup of whole wheat flour(1pt)

1 egg white

75% Cabot Cheese(2 ounces=2pts)

seasoned tomato sauce(0)

and mixed it with the shredded zucchini as described and cooked it as described. It made a huge serving for 4pts!

Making it again this weekend!

Its worth every ounce of determination and self-discipline required to make this a lifestyle!

Highest weight:258

Current weight: 158