Health Discovery Network
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Band Mom

Prosciutto

Guest Band Mom

I found a recipe that calls for prosciutto.

What is prosciutto?

cooking.com

Prosciutto is an Italian-style raw ham, a specialty of Parma, cured by dry-salting for one month, followed by air-drying in cool curing sheds for half a year or longer. It is usually cut into tissue-thin slices that highlight its intense flavor and deep pink color. The slices are enjoyed on their own or are heated or cooked as part of a recipe. Prosciutto di Parma, imported from Italy, is regarded as the best quality. Refrigerate prosciutto, well wrapped, for several weeks.

Hope that helps! smile.gif

Maureen

235/186.2/155

Made Goal 1/26/05:crazy:

Made Lifetime 3/9/05:headover:

Getting healthy is hard but NOT impossible!!!:)

I believe its highly fattening. I have had it in the past at weddings as an appetizer and it was wrapped around a hearty slice of cantaloupe.

Not sure of the points value on that stuff. But yes, it is tasty. If ever anyone finds out the points pass it on. Thanks. wave.gif

Janet :D

Joined WW May 5,2003<br />SW: 237<br />CW: 186.8<br />GW: 130 <br />Joined Curves on 8/6/03. Love it!<br /><br />"Always take care of You first".

I bought some to use in a recipe a few weeks ago. It worked out to 1 pt. per 1/2 ounce.

Lisa

~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~

"How many times must you fall and then get back up before reaching the goal? Do it as many times as it takes." CW

Guest Band Mom

Thanks for the info. Now for another question.

Do you buy it in the deli? Or is it prepackaged in the meat area?

Is there a subststitue to be used in a bead soup recipe?

[ October 01, 2003, 02:05 PM: Message edited by: Band Mom ]

Originally posted by Band Mom:

Do you buy it in the deli? Or is it prepackaged in the meat area?

You can buy it in the deli, but usually only at an Italian specialty store. I find mine at Trader Joe's (or comparable store) in the prepackaged meat section.

273.8/266.8/164

restart 1 November 14

Guest Band Mom

Thanks. I love Trader Joes. Just started shopping there a few months ago.

Guest shannon35

I buy mine at Albertsons. I studied in Italy last year and really grew to like a lot of the local cuisine (including prosciutto) eating with DH's family. At my Albertson's it comes pre-packaged and is in the section with the packs of salami, etc. I haven't had it in awhile and I have to point it every time because I forget but it's a point a slice, or 1.5 for two. I can't remember exactly.

Just thought I'd let you know!

Shannon

I can't get this at my local grocery store but it's at Costco in the refridgerated deli section.

YUM!!! I love prosciutto. On pizza, with pasta, on a sandwich or just plain. smile.gif

Junglejoy