Health Discovery Network
Sign in to follow this  
Gillie

"Day Old" Bread?!

This is going to sound ridiculous but what exactly is "day old" bread?? If I buy a loaf of the light bread and need it to be "day old"...do I literally wait a day? Do I leave it out? I'm sure I'm giving some of you a laugh here but I need help! crazy.gif

Weight loss to date: -78lbs.<br />Pounds to go: 35!

Ok, as I understand it, "day old" bread is sold in the supermarkets as "day old". It is generally on a table near the bakery that says "day old". I see that you are in MA, like me. I shop in the "Market Basket" supermarkets. They always have a day old table near the bakery, and there is always day old bread on it.

Dawna

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please everyone". - Bill Cosby

Guest Eileen7316

Gillie,

I tried not to laugh - honest! But we were all beginners at one point.

"Day old bread" is exactly that - at least a day old. Although the whiter the bread, the longer it stays squishy, and that's not what you want.

It actually means sorta dried out bread. Not as fresh as fresh. Clear as mud?

Usually you make bread crumbs out of day old bread. And I have found that fresh baked and bakery breads seem to be "day old" sooner than commercial brand breads.

Hope this helps!

:D I figured I'd be giving some of you all a laugh. I'm making a stuffing recipe with the "day old" light bread. So essentially the bread I bought two days ago should be sufficiently "day old"!

Weight loss to date: -78lbs.<br />Pounds to go: 35!

LOL, Gillie! I called my mama with this exact question not too long ago.

If you need DOB really fast, stick it in the oven on a cookie sheet under the broiler for a minute - it doesn't really toast it but definitely dries it out.

273.8/266.8/164

restart 1 November 14