Health Discovery Network
Sign in to follow this  
darkscore

Making Vegetable Stock?

I buy a lot of fresh veggies, and I've been considering making vegetable stock from the various 'left overs'. I'm wondering if there is anything or any kind of veggie that I shouldn't put in this. For example, right now I have a butt end of a celery bunch, a couple of butt ends of bok choy, some top caps of peppers (minus the stem), the core of a cauliflower. I always cut the end off a cucumber and throw it away. Can I use these ends in the stock?

Also, can I freeze these bits & pieces until I have enough to make the stock?

Any guidance anyone can offer would be very much appreciated.

Donna in Calgary, Alberta

SW: Apr. 3/02: 226.6

CW: Aug/09: 163.8

GW: 136

http://photobucket.com/albums/c94/darkscore/My%20Pictures/?

My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely! :p

I make chicken-veggie stock from scratch and do just as you describe! I have a large Ziploc in the freezer that I throw odds and ends in and when it is full I make stock. I've never had any problems with this method.

273.8/266.8/164

restart 1 November 14

I make veggie stock from all my bits and pieces that I save in a freezer bag. When I make the stock, I thaw the veggies and put them on a cookie sheet, sprayed with non-stick spray, sprinkle them liberally with fresh garlic cloves, salt & pepper and roast them in the oven for 20 minutes or so, until they are soft & golden. I have found that doing this before I boil the veggies gives me a richer tasting stock.

Success is a journey not a destination!

Guest Denise02

I also save the water from steamed veggies for a soup base. I just put all the "drippingsP into a container in the freezer as I get them and when there is enough I use it for soup.

Denise