Health Discovery Network
SSKatie

QUICK, QUICK, QUICK!

How about we share our secrets for the quickest, zip-zoom recipes we know how to make!? It would be nice to have a place where we can look when we're dog-tired and out of ideas, huh?

Thanks in advance for all your contributions! And thanks for.... sleep.gif .....oh, sorry, I dozed off there for a moment. smile.gif Oh yeah...thanks for helping out your fellow buddies! thumbup.gif

[ February 01, 2004, 10:59 AM: Message edited by: SSKatie ]

---Katie, CEO of Me, Inc & living my new-normal

highest:375(fall '98),5'4"//11-19-08 WW restart:277//current:247//2nd 10%:225//NEXT MINI GOAL:239//goal:150

*He leadeth me.

KATIE'S SUPER-QUICK, VEGGIE-LOADED SOUP smile.gif

One of my favorite quick meals is taking a can of Healthy Choice or Progresso Soup (the low points P soups they make like lentil & chicky noodle) and adding in some veggies & beans to it. I'll take, for example, the HC veggie soup, and add half a can of kidney or black beans, some french cut green beans, and sometimes some carrots that I've put in my little mini-foodprocessor and really ground up pretty small so they cook quickly. I then season it up how I like it with a seasoning blend, dried or bottled garlie pieces, some onion powder, etc., and heat all that up in the microwave or on the stove. You can even add in some cut up potato or some leftover rice if you like. The possibities are endless and couldn't be quicker! smile.gif

highest:375(fall '98),5'4"//11-19-08 WW restart:277//current:247//2nd 10%:225//NEXT MINI GOAL:239//goal:150

*He leadeth me.

Katie ---

I do something very similar. I take a can of the Campbell's Chunky Baked Potato with Bacon & Chives soup and add a cup of frozen mixed veggies in and a splash of white wine or sherry. I let it simmer for a bit. I get twice as much soup (4 cups instead of 2) and all of the yummy taste of creamy potato soup! I split this recipe in half for 4 points for 2 cups of soup.

I also love toasted cheese sandwiches, but I don't like the time, dishes or points involved. I now toast 2 slices of bread, slap 2 slices on cheese on the hot toast and mic it for 10 seconds until the cheese melts. Wonderful and only 3 points with my brands of cheese & bread.

DH recently talked me into buying the Great Value brand of Pepper Stir-Fry Mix. We "stir-fried" it in a large skillet and added some previously baked chicken and a couple of tbsp of bottled teriyaki sauce... heaven! We plan on doing a SW version with chiptole sauce. Also this was v v v cheap - about 80 cents per serving.

HTH :D Paris

Edited for spelling and grammar. odear.gif smile.gif

[ February 01, 2004, 12:14 PM: Message edited by: Paris Madeleine ]

273.8/266.8/164

restart 1 November 14

OOOOO Paris, I'm gonna try all those ideas! I'm working almost full-time hours now so I gotta change the way I've been doing things. Thanks fore the ideas! thumbup.gif (I've been wanting to incorporate using wine/sherry in my cooking and this is a good start!)

*He leadeth me.

Katie,

A good way to get that "homemade" taste in minutes is to splash a bit of wine or sherry into anything that comes from a can or jar. I do this with pasta sauces, gravies, soups, etc. Just let it simmer a bit and viola! instant "cooked all day" taste in 10 minutes.

273.8/266.8/164

restart 1 November 14

Paris, do you use "cooking" sherry & wine or "real"? smile.gif

[ February 01, 2004, 12:33 PM: Message edited by: SSKatie ]

*He leadeth me.

I use real - I buy the Charles Shaw from Trader and Joe's and a lower priced sherry from the liquor store.

I realized I used "family" measurement above; a bit = 2-3 tbsp. bcbsalute.gif

273.8/266.8/164

restart 1 November 14

Thanks, Paris. smile.gif I've got some cooking wine now but I think it will be too salty for me. I'll get some "regular" next time I'm out.

*He leadeth me.

This isn't a recipe per say... Just some things I do... I cook ahead especially on the weekend and since I live alone, I divide whatever I made into 1 serving... For example, this weekend, I mixed up tuna and ff mayo and put it 1pt servings, I made up some jello/pudding and put it into single servings, I opeend a few cans of fruit and .... You get the picture. I truly am lazy/tired after work most days and don't feel like cooking! With the prep done ahead of time, I can just grab things.

Its worth every ounce of determination and self-discipline required to make this a lifestyle!

Highest weight:258

Current weight: 158

Guest Denise02

I plan for lazy days!!

I buy ground beef in bulk. I then come home and make lots of meatballs, and cook them. I then freeze on cookie sheets, and put in ziplocs. On a lazy day there is the meat for pasta and meatballs. Meatballs and spuds. Or a meatball stew.

Frozen chicken breasts tossed in fry pan. Lots of fresh ground pepper. Let thaw and cook all in one. Serve with frozen veggie of choice and either rice or Pasta.

Pita Pizas.

Denise

One of my favorite meals is chickne wraps.

Even if chicken breast is frozen, put in microwave for a bit, then slice up, grill in a frying pan with dill, mrs dash that kinda thing, or some peanut sauce.

Then cut up a pepper, throw in the last min or two.Put in a ww wrap with tatziki, and spinach , and yummmmy, one of my favorite meals. :D

~~~~~Barbie~~~~

Not giving up~~~~~

weight.png

I like to prep fresh veggies....put in zip lock bags & have "salad on demand",by just mixing in a bowl & adding salad dressing.Keep hard boiled eggs,to eat out of hand,or add to salad.I'll use frozen ground beef that I cooked & measured.Add 1 can of LF mushroom soup, thin with milk or water...seasonings & supper is done.Serve over toast,pasta or rice.You could thin it more & add fresh mushrooms & a splash of beef broth or sherry & you have soup.Keep it thick & serve on buns for sandwiches.

Patti<br />*****<br />Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down. <br />******************************<br /><br />"The road to someday, leads to the town of nowhere. Procrastination is the silent killer."<br />~Anthony Robbins

When it's a "hurry" night or I'm just too tired to cook anything else, we'll have breakfast for dinner. Scrambled Veggie Eggbeaters, turkey bacon, english muffin. Thanks for all the other ideas!! wave.gif

5'10" SW 243/CW 212/WW 174/PG 160

~~Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain

Guest girlinmotion

I use a dried fat-free black bean dip mix, or low fat canned refried beans, to make bean burritos.

Add boiling water to the bean mix or heat the can of beans.

Throw tortilla (s) in the microwave.

Slice some tomatoes, lettuce, onions, peppers...whatever you have on hand.

Top with salsa and low fat sour cream.

If you want to dress it up a little, just add some fresh/canned hot peppers, tabasco, sliced olives, or fresh cilantro.

Mmmmmm....

My latest quickie meal is that I cooked up a bunch of grilled chicken breasts (seasoned a few different ways) and then sliced them and stuck them in the freezer. Now I can make chicken salads, wraps, burritos, quesadillas, etc. Just pull out the chicken. It's great.

I also make meals with pasta roni or rice a roni. Just toss in frozen cooked shrimp at the end of boiling or grill a few chicken breasts on the foreman grill to toss on top or mix in. I also add frozen veggies, usually spinach, broccoli or peas at the end of boiling. A whole balanced meal in about 10 minutes. It ususally runs about 6 points for a pretty good serving. Leftovers are great for lunches too.

-Christina

1st Goal: Size 18

weight.png

What is making you fat? It isn't your schedule or your metabolism or your willpower. Stop making excuses.

-Dr. Phil

Here is my quickie:

I microwave a WW macaroni & cheese, then I add a can of Italian style or Mexican style stewed tomatoes. A whopping dish for only 4 points. smile.gif

Mary

I've re-discoverd packet cooking! This is really excellent--I used hickory-smoke BBQ sauce and added some garlic powder for more flavor. Such fast clean-up!! Hope you enjoy it!

(Make up ahead and put in the frig, then stick in the oven when you get home!)

* Exported from MasterCook *

Chicken In A Packet

Recipe By :n/a

Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00

Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

-------- ------------ --------------------------------

1/2 cup bottled barbecue sauce

4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves -- (4 oz ea)

1 green pepper -- cut into strips

1 sweet red pepper -- cut into strips

4 small baking potatoes or 12 new potatoes -- thinly sliced

1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Tear off two pieces of foil the size of a cookie sheet. Place one piece of the foil on a cookie sheet. Spoon half of the barbecue sauce on the center of the foil. Layer the chicken, green and red peppers and potatoes on top. Sprinkle with the black pepper. Top with the remaining barbecue sauce. Place the remaining piece of foil on top. Seal edges with double folds. Bake for 50 minutes.

Carefully open the packet and check the chicken for doneness. If the chicken is still pink, close the packet and bake about 5 minutes more or until done.

To make individual packets, use four 18- by 14-inch pieces of foil. On one half of each piece of foil, layer the ingredients as directed above. Fold the other half of the foil over the top and seal each packet. Bake as directed.

This recipe yields 4 servings.

Comments: Here's a barbecued chicken meal that's oh-so-easy to prepare -- the chicken, potatoes and peppers all cook together in one big foil packet. Best of all, there's no messy cleanup!

Nutritional Information Per Serving: Calories: 203; Fat: 2 grams (11% of calories); Cholesterol: 68 milligrams; Sodium: 324 milligrams; Fiber (grams) 3.6.

Source:

"Prevention's Recipe Archive at http://www.prevention.com/cooking"

S(Formatted for MC5):

"12-30-1999 by Joe Comiskey - jcomiskey@krypto.net"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 146 Calories; 2g Fat (10.1% calories from fat); 28g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 68mg Cholesterol; 78mg Sodium. Exchanges: 4 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable.

NOTES : Weight Watcher points calculated at 4

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0

*He leadeth me.

Guest iv_lovebug

Hi

I am new and been on the weight watchers program now for three weeks going on four and have lost 11pounds. YIPPEE!!!!! Here are a couple of quick ideas I have come up with.

Tonight I took some left over turkey chili from hormel and spread on a fat free flour tortilla I then added turkey pepproni and some mozzarella cheese and nooked for 45 seconds. Very quick and very yummy.

My other quick idea is taking a box or two of Zattarains red beans and rice depending on how large your family is and adding the smoked turkey sausage to it. Good and easy.

Besides trimming the fat off my menu, I also trim time off by substituting Morning star crumbles instead of ground beef.

I let them thaw and just dump them in where the browned, drained beef would go in a recipe. Or, if I am in a real pinch for time, I dump them into a colonder and run hot water over them to thaw before adding them to the dish.

Kahfess

SW-9/20/04-403.2

:workout: CW - 350.00

:headover: GW-180

Keep the faith, not the weight!

Guest wataphreek

When I don't have a lot of time I usually get some canned foods out of the pantry and just "dump" them together. One creation that I've tried is a can of corn (drained), a can of kidney beans (drained and rinsed), a can of mexican style diced or stewed tomatoes. Mix it together, add some pepper and garlic if you want and serve over rice or couscous. Very good!

The best way to get rid of retained water is to drink even more water. Sounds crazy at first but it's true. Try it.

Guest wataphreek
How do you deal with the sodium that comes from canned or preservative foods? I retain water like crazy.

For the veggies I always get the kind with no salt added. And instead of using flavored diced or stewed tomatoes, you can get the no salt added and season it yourself.

:exercise2 I didnt have much time tonight for dinner, so I took Ecrich boiled ham slices and put canned pineapple rings (cut rings in half and put one ring rolled up into each slice of ham) then tooth pick them. Put a dab of Sugar free Apricot jam (smuckers) on top of each roll. bake in oven until all becomes bubbly and yummy. Im sure you could vary this reciepe many ways.........the ham is 3 slices for 1 pt. and the pineapple was 5 pts for the whole can.......the jam is 0 but I counted it as 1 pt. just because I used extra.....so We are talking 9 points for the whole pan, and it made 9 ham rolls!...........I served it with mixed greens (opts) and I am absolutley stuffed!.........It was sooooooooooooo good! and it only took 10 minutes for my whole dinner to be done:crazy:

Hope you Enjoy!

*Until We Meet Again.................

weight.png

Guest Nix

This isn't really a quick meal, but if you use a crock pot, you can put it together in the am & it's ready when you get home from work + the house really smells good when you walk in:D

Nix