Health Discovery Network
Sign in to follow this  
Kpw1956

egg yolks

Any ideas what would be a good use for unused egg yolks? Are they good for the dogs coat or my own hair? Our WW meeting today were talking about Breakfast IQ and the suggestion to use 1 egg yolk per 3 egg whites for omelettes... or other baking purposes. I hate to be wasteful...Heaven knows my waist knows it too! My MIL has had to watch my FIL's choleserol for years and I always cringe seeing this pile of egg yolks go down the drain..

I know it is probably better to go down the drain than the alternative, but if the yolks could be used for something else... I'd feel a little better adapting to this way of cooking.

Kathie

Joined WW 12/29/03<br />SW 259<br />CW 242<br />GW-145<br />Personal goal - 130

Great question! I wish I had an answer. Hopefully a buddy will post some ideas for leftover egg yolks.

*~LINDA~*

HW 386

SW 330

CW 284.2

GW 174

PW 150's

LOST: 102.2 lbs

5'10"

I was inspired by the egg yolk query and decided to do some web research. Here are some quick homemade beauty treatments so you can use up your spare egg yolks.

Egg and Honey Moisturizing Facial Mask

1 egg yolk

1 tsp honey

1 tsp vitamin E oil

1 tsp almond oil

Mix all ingredients together until smooth and apply to face. Rinse off with warm water after 15 minutes. The egg yolks help to clarify and moisturize the skin.

Moisturizing Hair Mask

1/2 c plain yogurt

1 egg yolk

1 Tb honey

Wet hair and towel dry. Mix all ingredients together and massage into hair. Cover with a shower cap and let it remain in hair for 20 minutes. Rinse with warm water and shampoo thoroughly.

Avocado Moisturizing Hair Mask

1/2 avocado (1 whole avocado for long hair)

1 egg yolk

Mash avocado and mix with egg yolk

Massage into hair concentrating on dry ends. Let it sit for 20 minutes. Rinse out and shampoo.

Hope these help you with your egg yolk problem. At least they seem like they'd be fun and inexpensive to try.

Susan wave.gif

SW 251.5/CW 241.5/GW 145

I always give my big german shepherd my leftover egg yolks (which he loves), but I wonder if I am really doing him a favor.

Donna

SW 310

GOAL 12/4/07

Proud to a Vegan WW.

"Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." Michael Pollan

"Well, it seems to be working for me." Dr Michael Culmer

"Nuts are in hard shells for reasons." Dr John McDougall

"The salad IS the main course." Dr Joel Fuhrman

I give the yokes to my Scottie too. He loves them. Anyone know for sure if it's really ok for them?

I just recently read in the WW magazine that giving grapes to dogs can cause liver problems!!!!

Diane

237 - 1/3/6

198.8 - 12/30/08

"Live each day as if it's the BEST day of your life!"

So, it looks like the raw egg white is not good for the dog, but the only danger of raw egg yolk is from any uncooked bacteria.

Since my dog eats sticks when he is bored and garbage when the can tips over, I think he can tolerate the egg yolks. He might be getting the egg yolk anyway if he could manage to tip over the garbage can again!

Donna

SW 310

GOAL 12/4/07

Proud to a Vegan WW.

"Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." Michael Pollan

"Well, it seems to be working for me." Dr Michael Culmer

"Nuts are in hard shells for reasons." Dr John McDougall

"The salad IS the main course." Dr Joel Fuhrman

Thank you, Duchess...

DJW, your dog sounds like mine. He will eat ANYTHING...plastic...metal...paper...literally anything that he finds.

Diane

237 - 1/3/6

198.8 - 12/30/08

"Live each day as if it's the BEST day of your life!"