Health Discovery Network
Sign in to follow this  
MRSchultz

Rhubarg ideas anyone?

Hi:

I just received a huge bunch of rhubarb from a friend of mine. Now, I need some WW friendly recipes to use them for. Does anybody have any to share?

Thanks. Marcia smile.gif

187(start)/187(now)/150WW/135P<br /><br />Be Smart, Do It For YOURSELF!

Here is one I found this AM in my WW New Complete Cookbook when I was looking for the same ideas...

Strawberry-Rhubarb Tartlets

Makes 4 servings

6 Graham Crackers (2 1/2" squares)

2 tsp. red. cal. Margarine, melted

3 cups chopped rhubarb

1/3 cup sugar

pinch salt

1 tsp. cornstarch, dissolved in 1 tsp water

1 & 1/2 cups sliced strawberries

1/4 cup + 2 Tbl. nonfat cream cheese

2 Tabl. nonfat sour cream

3/4 tsp. vanilla extract

1. To prepare the crust, in a food processor or blender, whirl the graham crackers until finely crushed. Add the Margarine and process until well blended. Divide the crust among four 4" tartlet pans, pressing it over the bottom and up the sides to form a crust.

2. To prepare the filling in a medium saucepan over low-heat, combine the rhubarb, all but 1 tsp. of the sugar, and the salt with 1/4 cup water. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the rhubarb is soft, about 15 minutes. Stir in the dissolved cornstarch: bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat and cook, stirring constantly,30 seconds longer. Remove from the heat, and stir in the strawberries. Divide among the tartle pans: refrigerate, covered, until chilled, 1-2 hours.

3. To prepare the topping, in a small bowl, combine the cream cheese, sour cream, the remaining tsp. of sugar and the vanilla: stir until smooth. Spread over the tartlets: cover and refrigeratee until firm, 2-3 hours.

Per serving: 194 calories, 2 g Total Fat, 0 g Saturated Fat, 2 mg Cholesterol, 226 mg Sodium, 39 g Total Carbohydrates, 3 g Dietary Fiber, 5 g Protein, 159 mg Calcium. POINTS per serving 3

I don't have a tartlet pan so I am going to spread mine in a small baking dish.

To cut points more I will use Reduced Fat graham crackers & splenda (in place of the sugar).

I am going to try to make these this afternoon.

Cindy

recommitted 9/07

Starting over....one pound at a time...

I dice it up in a heavy pan and cook it with lots of splenda and cinnamon until soft, then mash it a bit. I've been eating this with yogurt, cottage cheese, strawberries, or pineapple. It is also good with brown rice, kashi cereal, or with toast and cream cheese.

There are many paths up the mountain but if we keep climbing we'll all reach the summit.

I was looking for point friendly ideas at allrecipes.com and found a quick and easy rhubarb pie that was a HIT at my house. I used a low fat frozen pie crust. I didn't try it but one of the people on the site said that she used splenda insteaad of sugar (1/3 cup extra plus tbsp. more flour to compensate for thickener). I also left out the butter and didn't miss it a bit. I didn't figure out the points for the filling but here's the recipe:

4 cups chopped rhubarb

1 1/3 cups white sugar

6 tablespoons all-purpose flour

1 tablespoon butter

1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie

1 Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).

2 Combine sugar and flour. Sprinkle 1/4 of it over pastry in pie plate. Heap rhubarb over this mixture. Sprinkle with remaining sugar and flour. Dot with small pieces of butter. Cover with top crust.

3 Place pie on lowest rack in oven. Bake for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C), and continue baking for 40 to 45 minutes. Serve warm or cold.

Weight loss to date: -78lbs.<br />Pounds to go: 35!

I never did make the tartlets but I did convert my normal recipe (from the "old days" ugh.gif ). I just used splenda as well, and omitted the margarine/butter. BUT I used a recipe from my WW cookbook for the crust... :eek: It ws not good. The worst crust I have ever, ever had!!!!Flour, red. cal. margarine, cottage cheese and yogurt?????? Anyone else ever tried it????

I can't believe that it was that bad! Maybe it was just me.

The filling was great though. I have decided that I will just "stew"it with some splemda as well for a treat! ;)

Cindy

recommitted 9/07

Starting over....one pound at a time...

Oh my!! Thank you so much for finding this. I'm not too creative when it comes to baking so all I've done with my rhubarb is make a sauce with splenda and then the pie. This gives me a lot to look forward to. kiss.gif

Weight loss to date: -78lbs.<br />Pounds to go: 35!