Health Discovery Network
Sign in to follow this  
Guest 1texasmom

I need more veggies!

Guest 1texasmom

Help! I am in a veggie rut!! I'm tired of eating green beans and broccoli. I love soup, but not during the summer in Texas. Does anyone have a great salad or side dish recipe?

Hi Texas Mom -

This a great time of the year to try new veggies. To save on cost, I make a weekly trip to Aldi and stock up on the veggies they have. The Aldi in our area has good quality veggies for a very reasonable price.

Last night my DH made roasted veggies on the BBQ grill. He sliced yellow squash, zucchini squash, portabello mushrooms and red peppers. Marinated them in a splash of olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Sprinkled with salt and pepper and grilled til tender. YUM!!

But normally I'm in charge of the veggies and they are prepared in the house.

Sliced cucumbers, raw carrots and pepper strips, with lite ranch for dipping.

How about steamed cauliflower? for a little extra zip add a wedge of light laughing cow cheese.

Zucchini, yellow squash simmered with a can of tomatoes. Add italian seasonings and garlic and sprinkle with mozzarella or parmesan when the veggies are tender.

Although it has pts, corn on the cob is especially good this time of the year.

We also enjoy, steamed cabbage with a spray of ICBINB.

Baby turnips can be peeled and steamed, then mashed like potatoes.

Plus, here are a few veggie recipe threads that were started in the past.

Good luck. If I can be of any more help, just let me know.

5 of day website

www.aboutproduce.com

mediterranean veggies

tangy green beans

roasted veggies combo

zucchini recipes

Laura

Joined January 2002

SW 266.6 Goal 165

Guest 1texasmom

Wow! This is awesome. Thanks for the tips and links. I've never cooked turnips. Sounds like a field trip to the produce aisle is in order.

I'll have to try the turnips, too. I remember, vaguely something as a kid being mashed and were good, then some other white root vegetable being bitter!! Rutabaga, maybe?? Are turnips kind of sweet??

Remember, we're all in this together...I'm pulling for you!

Red Green

~~~

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak Kindly. Leave the rest to God

~~~

-30!

The white ones are turnips and the yellow ones are rutabagas, I think. I also think there are regional differences in what each of them are called. The yellow ones are great roasted, sprayed with a little Pam - they caramelize very nicely in the oven.

Another undiscovered gem in the garden are beets. I like mine glazed with balsamic vinegar & brown sugar substitute. The discoloration aspect is a factor, but the taste is so good!

Gaining Momentum and losing weight!

Oh I love beets, I eat them mostly cold; either plain or pickled.

I think you're right about the turnip/rutabaga, yellow/white thing. I'll have to give the ole rutabaga another go, prepared as you suggest. And..turnips are on my shopping list!

Remember, we're all in this together...I'm pulling for you!

Red Green

~~~

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak Kindly. Leave the rest to God

~~~

-30!

I love veggies! All kinds and even eat soup in the summer. Here is a great site about produce and it has recipes there too.

About Produce

Maureen

235/186.2/155

Made Goal 1/26/05:crazy:

Made Lifetime 3/9/05:headover:

Getting healthy is hard but NOT impossible!!!:)

Here you go, Texas mom! At this link, look at the recipe categories on the right side, and there's one for salads and also vegetarian. I LOVE this site--their recipes are always low-fat, low in calories and high in fiber. http://www.24hourfitness.com/html/nutrition/recipes/

---Katie, CEO of Me, Inc & living my new-normal

highest:375(fall '98),5'4"//11-19-08 WW restart:277//current:247//2nd 10%:225//NEXT MINI GOAL:239//goal:150

*He leadeth me.

Katie,

Is it just me or is the link missing from your post?? You've intrigued me with that site and I want to check it out!! :)

Ha!!! You're right...I forgot to post the link! That was my laugh for the day! :D

Here is the elusive website of which I spoke smile.gif :

http://www.24hourfitness.com/html/nutrition/recipes/

---Katie, CEO of Me, Inc & living my new-normal

highest:375(fall '98),5'4"//11-19-08 WW restart:277//current:247//2nd 10%:225//NEXT MINI GOAL:239//goal:150

*He leadeth me.