Health Discovery Network
Sign in to follow this  
LauraH

Favorite Freezer Friendly Meals

Hi Buddies -

I'll be heading out of town for 10 days in July. I thought DD and DH would probably appreciate some home cooking while I'm gone. 1) It will be much healthier and 2) eating out every day doesn't fit into our budget.

Anyway, I've never done much freezing of meals and was wondering if you'd share meals that freeze well. I know I will be making a meatloaf and some sort of pasta dish. But beyond that I'm pretty clueless.

Thanks!

Laura

Joined January 2002

SW 266.6 Goal 165

Guest raidermom

One of my favorites from the freezer is stuffed cabbage! I portion them out 6 to a freezer bag and take out as much or as little as needed (if it's the whole family eating I have to pull out FOUR bags!). I would put 6 to a freezer bag and cover them with the sauce...(all precooked) and then all DH has to do is thaw them out and bake!

Chili is another easy one to pull out of the freezer and cook. ;)

I freeze just about everything into single servings. Soups, spaghetti sauce, casseroles. Soups are always good because you can pair it with a salad or sandwich and make a great meal. My favorite one (just personal preference, not because it freezes the best) is taco soup. I always have spaghetti sauce in the freezer because even the kids (teenage boys) can boil water and make spaghetti then have the sauce to make a meal. The latest casserole I have frozen is Mexican Cornbread, but just about any will work. My dh tells me that there is no reason to buy premade frozen meals at the grocery store because I have them all homemade in my own freezer. LOL! :D

Maureen

235/186.2/155

Made Goal 1/26/05:crazy:

Made Lifetime 3/9/05:headover:

Getting healthy is hard but NOT impossible!!!:)

Maureen -

Would you mind sharing the Mexican cornbread recipe?

It sounds delicious :D

Laura

Joined January 2002

SW 266.6 Goal 165

Guest jeremysmom

I agree...it does sound good. Please post!!

Good morning, buddies,

Cheryl: Would you mind sharing your stuffed cabbage recipe?

Thanks!

Hugs,

Dawna

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please everyone". - Bill Cosby

Guest raidermom

LOL....I have to give you this link to a pretty good recipe. I am forever on a quest for a good stuffed cabbage recipe and this one peaked my interest and DH and I really liked it. I left out the raisins and used Splenda instead of sugar...it freezes well, in fact I had a lot of sauce leftover for freezing and that's a GOOD thing as far as I'm concerned. :D

If this isn't to your liking, I will dig up another recipe I use that uses a sauce made with crushed tomatoes, wine..etc. DH calls it the Italian version......"who puts wine and garlic in stuffed cabbage???" He's Polish...I'm Italian...LOL. ;)

Anyway, I think the humor of the person who wrote out this recipe is 80% of the reason I had to try it.....

http://www.celebritydeli.com/stuffedcab2.htm

A good hint: If you've seen it frozen in the grocery, it probably freezes well at home! thumbup.gif

I just pulled up an "Unstuffed Cabbage" on Beef/Pork Forum (only several of us used the Morningstar Grillers instead...).

(Cheryl~ That guy is verbose! LOL~)

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile

Here is the Mexican Cornbread recipe that I got from my leader and my whole family loves it.

Mexican Cornbread

16 ounce can cream corn

1 cup cornmeal

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon salt

1 cup skim milk

2 eggs

1/2 cup taco sauce

2 cups shredded ff cheese (divided)

1 medium onion, chopped

1 garlic clove minced

4 ounce can diced green chilies

1 pound 94% ff ground beef, cooked and crumbled

Combine first 8 ingredients (1 cup of the cheese). Pour half into 9x13 pan. Layer cheese, onion, garlic, green chilies, and ground beef on top of cornmeal mixture. Cover with remaining cornmeal mixture. Cook at 375 for about 45 minutes until browned.

6 servings

1 serving is 6.5 points

**Note: I have also add red bell peppers chopped up and black beans. You can really add a lot of other things to mix this up. Just be sure to change the points for any extras.

Maureen

235/186.2/155

Made Goal 1/26/05:crazy:

Made Lifetime 3/9/05:headover:

Getting healthy is hard but NOT impossible!!!:)

Cheryl, that stuffed cabbage recipe was hilarious!! :D:D I noticed that she used converted rice, which has a very low GI value--just thought I'd point that out, as I'm reading The New Glucose Revolution Life Plan. They talk about converted rice being the same as parboiled rice, and that, during the parboiling process, water soluble nutrients from the germ and outer layer are transferred into the interior of the rice. FAS-cinating!

---Katie, CEO of Me, Inc & living my new-normal

highest:375(fall '98),5'4"//11-19-08 WW restart:277//current:247//2nd 10%:225//NEXT MINI GOAL:239//goal:150

*He leadeth me.