Health Discovery Network
Sign in to follow this  
Lady_in_Boots

Never heard of a smoothie like this...

Hi BCB'ers... wave.gif I was watching a late nite cooking program (can you say addict???) and the guest was Mark Tewkesberry (sp?)...Canadian Olympic swimmer...He has opened a fruit bar, much along the line of Booster Juice. He shared a recipe for a smoothie, but it didnt have yogurt or milk in it...a lower point alternative for the days when you are running low on points and have had your dairy. His point was that if you freeze the fruit and take it straight from freezer to blender and whip it up for a long enough time, it will froth and thicken on its own..his recipe was...

1 frozen cut up banananananana

1/2 cup apple juice.

And then he blended..and blended. I tried it this morning and while I would recommend letting the frozen fruit sit a while (my blender is rather prehistoric) it DID froth up and was amazing. My DD loved it, and I did to. 2.5 points cant be bad!

Super OP day to all..... thumbup.gif

Im not dieting...Im finally living!<br /><br />"We cannot control the winds, but we can always adjust our sails." .....Kaz

I've made smoothies for many many years & rarely put milk or yogurt in mine. And I don't freeze my fruit, however at times will use the bags of already frozen fruit. I almost always add a half or whole banana to add thickness then add whatever other fruit I have. Then add a bit of sweetener & about a cup of ice. I usually don't have to add any liquid but sometimes will add a little pineapple juice. The blending doesn't take very long - I'd say about the same amount of time as if you're making a milk shake. What I love about smoothies is you can experiment w/ so many varieties. Enjoy!

JO

MAINTAINING FOR 11 YEARS 0 Months!! :headover:

IF YOU NEVER LEAVE, YOU NEVER HAVE TO COME BACK

I found a "base" I really like for my smoothies - the Diet V-8 Splash. It's only 10 calories for 8 oz. so that's a 0 point liquid. Into it I add my frozen fruit or fresh fruit and a few ice cubes. Sometimes I also add a scoop of protein powder if I'm making a meal of it.

Like FeelGR8, I love this because the possibilities are endless - there are several different flavors of the Splash and of course the fruits could be anything you like. My personal favorite is the Tropical flavored Splash, 1/2 frozen banana, and a scoop of the SlimFast soy protein powder, which is only 1 point. So for 3 points I get a blender full of GOOD! :D And good for me, too.

Char

Thanks Char, I am going to pick up some of this V-8 later today, and give it a try.

You always have the best ideas! bcbsalute.gif

Hugs,

Dawna

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please everyone". - Bill Cosby

Funny I am now addicted to smoothies.I have been having trouble getting in my dairy sooo...this is my yummy smoothie.

1/2 banana

1/2cup ff yogurt

3frozen strawberries, or more

1/2cup skin milk

3.5pts, and it is soo filling. :D thumbup.gif

~~~~~Barbie~~~~

Not giving up~~~~~

weight.png

Guest mommy_dearest

Thanks for all the great smoothie ideas. I will have to try one of these in the morning.

Misty

I just got a smoothie maker so I'm so excited to find all of these wonderful sounding ideas!

Thanks everyone!!!

Take care all<br />Sarah <br />CLWaterV2@aol.com