Health Discovery Network
WWCarol

Homemade ALBA

I use the purchased Alba and you mix it with either milk or water. Mixing with milk counts as 2 milk servings. or you can use it in recipes.

Joanne

SW 252.6/WWG 157/2013 Restart 192.6:bcb_huh:/CW189

You would add it to one cup of water. :) :bcbsalute

I'll edit the recipe to say this.

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile

Sorry, Joanne~ Didn't see your answer. I'll add your info to the post. :bcbsalute

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile

Guest SweetKisses03

Does this come out milky or more thick like a shake? What can I add to make it thicker? Does anyone have any good recipes to add this powder to?

I haven't tried the home made version, but I use the regular storebought Alba. It suggests blending with ice cubes to make it thicker. I make smoothies with the mix, milk or water, and frozen fruit to make a really thick shake.

I've read that Carol adds some dried egg whites to thicken and add protein to her smoothies. I haven't tried it yet.

Joanne

I missed this, the first time around, so I just have a quick question about it. I can't get Alba near me and the WW smoothies are a bit out of my budget so I'm excited to try this..

Chocolate Alba

1/4 cup nonfat dry milk powder

3 T. splenda

1 teas. unsweetened cocoa

For flex, is this still 1 pt and 1 milk serving when mixed with water?

Sorry if this has been answered already, I looked back thru the posts but couldn't find anything about points for just the straight recipe.

**Sharyn**

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane!" ~ Jimmy Buffet

SW: 169

CW: 161

GW: 140

Thanks Carol. This is great. I have seen this in different places on here but have never seen it in the stores. This is similar to the WW smoothie mix correct?

~*~Kambi~*~

SW 240 (3/16/11)

CW 237.5 (3/18/11)

I think I can, I think I can

:bcb_march

Joanne, may I verify this with you? This is what I'm getting from reading this thread:

Put together the dry mix.

Add 1 cup of water (or milk)

Put in blender with ice cubes to make a milkshake.

Put in blender with ice cubes and fruit to make a smoothie.

Tish

Onward and Downward

That's my understanding. I have not tried these as I can find Alba locally.

Joanne

OK, thanks. Sometimes reading through a thread can be a bit confusing! I think I've got it.

Tish

Onward and Downward

Has anyone tried adding the dry instant chocolate pudding or xanthan powder to make these thicker?

I've added pudding to make it thicker and it works. Lately all I do now to make my smoothies is use 1 cup of light vanilla flavored soy milk (1 pt) and frozen fruit of choice (1 point) and mix it up and it is thick and tasty. Sometimes I will add vanilla extract to make it more vanilla tasting, but I find the soy milk helps to thicken it up and I can have a whole cup of soy milk for only point!

Cindi

SW - 215 on 7/27/07

CW - 141.5

GW - 150

38 yrs old

5'7"

Bumping...is "Alba" similar to the WW smoothies?

"Do", or "Do Not". There is no "Try".

- Yoda, The Empire Strikes Back

bumping for grannie-k

and replying to Shyjade:

The Alba shakes I get at the store are similar to the WW smoothies and do count as a milk serving. They have a bit less protein than the WW smoothies but they are much less expensive. If they aren't on sale I pay about $3.79 for a box of 8. The WW smoothies are 7.50 for a box of 7 at our meeting location.

Joanne

Thanks so much this is just what I was looking for!

Sandy

SW 239 1-1-07

129 GOAL 12-20-14

110 pounds lost

I DID IT:bcb_up

newbie here....I haven't been to WW for awhile due to monetary issues...mainly being out of a job...I hope to have that rectified soon enough though...:):)

anyhow thank you for this recipe....I live in the Buffalo, NY area where we used to be able to find alba which is cheaper in all of our supermarkets.....then Tops and Wegman's stopped carrying it....so my mom was forced to buy the more expensive WW mixes.....until I found it at Budwey's in of all places the baking needs aisle (try figuring that one out.....LOL)....but now Budwey's seems to have stopped carrying it now as well.....and so we were at wits end until I had this thought....I've been researching on the internet all the time about frugal living and have found websites with many recipes for making your own things like laundry soap and bodywash/shampoo and even dandruff treatments and hair conditioner......not only do you save money in the process, many of these recipes have the added bonus of being environmentally friendly.....we don't need NO-bama's stinkin' energy taxes....all that needs ot be done is to encourage frugal living.....that will be a big help to the environment

anyhow I thought....hmmm....maybe there's a way to make alba mixes ourselves.....so back to google I went and lo and behold.....found this forum.....:D:D

thank you again.....not only is this cheaper than WW mixes....it's also cheaper than Alba....because I imagine milk solids don't cost that awfully much....neither does unsweetened cocoa powder...which many stores have their own version of....what may be a bit pricey though is splenda and flavoring extracts depending on the brand....there does exist a competitor to splenda though called Nevella....which thus far has remained cheaper than splenda....what I wish is for the all-natural zero calorie sweeteners like Truvia or PureVia to number one....come down in cost....and number 2....make it available in bulk form....that would be great....:D:D

here's a website that has a bunch of DIY formulas:

http://www.budget101.com/household.htm

to make your own shampoo/body wash all you need to do is put 2 fl. oz. of liquid castile soap into a bottle (a sufficiently sized old shampoo or body wash bottle will do) with a pint of water and use essential oils to provide scent if the luquid castile soap you're using does not already have one...although even if it already has a scent there are essential oils that can pair nicely with the scent already there...but use unscented if you wish to have a completely customized scent using nothing but essential oils....I'd try frankincense and myrrh oils so I could see if I can make myself smell like the inside of a Catholic Church....but not at what those oils cost.....sheesh....though I guess that's why the Bible descibes frankincense and myrrh as precious gifts...LOL

there are decently priced ones though...like cedarwood...which is nice and manly.....and I am a guy....so...:p:D

rosemary....despite its feminine name also provides a manly herby and outdoorsy type scent....minty essential oils are nice and manlyy to....and refreshing....tea tree oil can work to provide not only a decent scent which can also be manly but also to have your shampoo/body wash have antibacterial properties too....a blend of citronella and tea tree oils in this recipe would make a decent shampoo/body wash that can be used on camping trips as an insect repelling wash...I for one can't wait to try this recipe...you save money because you're making something that can serve double duty as both a shampoo and a body wash....this recipe does produce a product that is thin...but it does the job....they suggest using xanthan gum as anaturla thickener but when I saw the price for a small package of Bob's Red Mill brand of the stuff...which is the only brand that sells it there....I decided...no way....the package of Bob's Red Mill xanthan gum was like almost 11 dollars for a small package that was half full of air....LOL....so I think I'll do without that....:p:D

thanks so much for this post! have been trying new recipes with it, but running out of the basic smoothie, so will try this. is this really all there is in the recipe? seems like the smoothies have more flavours than just nonfat milk? Thanks!

I just make mine in a regular blender.  I use Kefir and add frozen fruit, you can add fresh, or protein powder, etc

:workout:

Ann