Health Discovery Network
plcm111195

Eggplant Meatballs

Looks like we lost some of the recipes so I'm reposting this one.

Lighter Version 1 point for all

Eggplant Meatballs

1 1lb eggplant (0)

2 slices high-fiber, low-cal bread, toasted and made into crumbs in blender (1)

1 egg white (0)

fresh basil

salt and red pepper to taste (I like it spicy)

Preheat oven to 500 degrees. Cut slits in eggplant to prevent bursting when cooking. Cook eggplant for 45-50 minutes or until soft. Let cool. Scoop insides of eggplant into seive and mash out excess water. Mix in bread crumbs, egg white, basil, salt and red pepper. Roll into balls. Spray a pyrex pan with cooking spray. Place the balls into it and spray with cooking spray. Bake at 350 till brown.

I made about 15 small "meatballs" and it took about 40-45 minutes.

Joanne

SW 252.6/WWG 157/2013 Restart 192.6:bcb_huh:/CW189

Wow, that sounds awesome! Hmmmm, if I add these veggie balls to a batch of Cola Chicken without the chicken (in other words, veggies cooked in salsa and diet cola), this would be a lifesaver on those days when I want a practically free lunch. Add a cup of bulgar for 2 points, and it's a satisfying lunch that is the points bargain of the century!!!

Gaining Momentum and losing weight!

These are totally delish! And my BF is the pickiest eater in the whole wide world and he loved them. He is a strict veggie and it's always hard for me to find new and tasty foods for him but this he loved. i made 14 "meat"balls, i simmered a jar of 1 point spaghetti sauce and i steamed 1 bag of frozen broccoli florets and some corn. Once everything was done, I mixed them ALL together in the spaghetti sauce and it was a full meal and it was so great. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE RECIPE!! :D

If not now, when?

www.ginacraig.com

I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with saints. (Billy Joel)

Does anyone know if you could microwave the eggplant for the first step? I love the eggplant parmesan I found on this board, and this sounds great, but it kinda kills me that when the eggplant is availabe (summer), that you have to have the oven on for so dag long. I have $400 electric bills sometimes so this is a real issue for me. Any suggestions?

Latebloomer

i have no idea about that. but i know when it comes out of the oven it's cooked thru and thru perfectly w/ a little bit of a roasted flavor. i'm doubtful that you could get those same results from a micro. but if you're just looking for a quick fix, it might be worth it to you.

If not now, when?

www.ginacraig.com

I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with saints. (Billy Joel)

If you're grilling, you could just throw an eggplant on the grill and then remove any charred skin. (That's what they do in the Middle East anyway to get a "roasted" flavor in their baba ganoujh, eggplant dip.)

Sometimes you will see recipes that have you cut the eggplant and sprinkle it with salt to release some bitterness. Wash off the salt and proceed.

I'm sure you could use the microwave. Perhaps it would have more moisture in it because of the shorter cooking time?

Our BIG gas stove is a monster in summer, and I am sooo happy with my little "countertop" Cuisinart Convection/Toaster oven. It will cook a 5 lb. chicken or 9" pie! It preheats QUICKLY and does not "heat up" the kitchen! ((thumbs up!))

If you try the microwave, let us know how it works! :D I meant to try this recipe a long time ago, but forgot. I'm anxious to try it~ :)

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile

Ooo these are yummy. I forgot about this recipe. Enjoy them, Melia!

Lifetime as of November 21, 2005 & getting back to goal!

HW - 185

GW - 145

CW - 158

This sounds innovative and easy- but

-what does it taste like?

-do you just pop an eggplant (with slits) into the oven and that's it? No skinning and cutting the tops?

I would love some feedback and to possibly make this this weekend!

206.5 | 202 | 150

Mini Goal: 5% 196lbs

have made eggplant meatballs for years. However they have lean beef in them I don't understand how these meatballs could possibly be solid without another ingredient, like meat? My meatballs also contain basil.

It has bread crumb and egg as binder, just like a meat meatball would.

Locavore on Core, eating local, organic farm-fresh foods, avoiding "Frankenfoods," and blogging all about it!

have made eggplant meatballs for years. However they have lean beef in them I don't understand how these meatballs could possibly be solid without another ingredient, like meat? My meatballs also contain basil.

My recipe is the most cohesive vegetarian meatball I have made. One of my sons is vegetarian and I have had a number of disasters that fell apart. This recipe does stay together. I was careful to add them to the sauce at the last minute rather than give them a chance to fall apart simmering in sauce for a long time the way I do for meat-balls.

marge

SW: 206

GW: 146

CW: 166. 8:bcb_march

40#: 2/5; 45# 4/1; 50# 4/29

weight.png