Health Discovery Network
Ella MAe

Losing too fast?

I have been on the plan for about 3 weeks now, and have already dropped from 199.5 to 186.5. While losing a bunch the first week is normal, I've continued to lose at least 4 lbs per week since then. I know everyone recommends losing at a rate of 1.5- 2 lbs a week to ensure a healthy metabolism, so I'm a little concerned. I'm 5"9" and am using all 24 points each day, plus an average of about half my FP each week as well. I have bumped up my activity a fair bit and am averaging arouund 15-20 AP / week, but don't always eat them all. I've also cut out all alcohol, which used to be a fair amount.

Is this rate of loss something to be concerned about, or should I just thank the weight-loss goddesses for blessing me? Is it just my body celebrating the lack of beer? Has anyone else experienced this? I'm really doing this as a permanent life-style change, so the last thing I would want is to mess up my system in the process. Thanks in advance for any insight you may have.

Far too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought...

5'9", 26 yrs. old

SW: 199.5

CW: 181.0

10%:179.0

Goal - 155-ish?

I don't think you need to be concerned quite yet, but if it keeps up you might want to eat more of your Activity and Flex Points.

The Welcome book says

The Weight Watchers program is designed for a safe rate of weight loss - up to two pounds per week (after the first three weeks)

If you lose at a greater rate, you must review the Program guidlines and adapt them, if necessary, to avoid rapid weight loss. Not following the Program as designed may pose the risk of developing health complications associated with rapid weight loss.

I would give it another week if it hasn't quite been 3 weeks yet. If you're still dropping too fast then eat more points.

Joanne

SW 252.6/WWG 157/2013 Restart 192.6:bcb_huh:/CW189

Guest judyo53

Ella Mae (my granddaughter's name is Elle May), give me some of those lost pounds since you're getting too many! LOL! Seriously, I would think it should even out soon but as Joanne said, if it doesn't you should consider eating more of your AP's & FP's. I eat every point available to me.

Also, I've always been happy that I hate beer since I can't imagine being able to drink it & not gain weight (although DH is a beanpole & drinks it-but then he's not a binge eater like I've been). But since you've dropped it (the beer) so dramatically that might be the reason you're losing at such a great pace, & your body should still adjust to that after a while.

Don't worry about messing up your system by eating & living a healthier lifestyle. Everything you're doing is positive & will be so beneficial. Keep it up!

Hi:

Just my two cents-my brother in law cut back from 6 beers a day to one or two per day on Dr. orders, and lost 25 lbs in 8 weeks. No other changes, and the loss seemed to be all in his gut. The doctor insisted on ordering a lot of tests for him because of the weight loss. The loss of calories from the beer do not equate with the weight that he lost. Of couse, the tests showed that he was FINE. My brother-in-law has since heard many stories like his. Beer does seem to make a difference! I agree you should speak with your leader if it continues another week, but I feel sure you will level off and continue to lose more slowly and healthfully because you seem to be following the plan really well. Yay for YOU!

Latebloomer

I think your body will even itself out. You should expect to have a severe slow down, or even a gain within the next few weeks.

Kathy<br />I will succeed this time! (#4--I think)<br />SW 227.8 3/20/03<br />CW 175.2 5/28/04<br />GW 158 Sept 2004!!!<br />1st 10% 8/8/03 (-23.6)<br />2nd 10% 1/8/04 (-43.0)

Guest ClaremoreZebraBandMom0407

I don't know about you, but if I drink a beer (which isn't very often) I retain water horribly. If I drink beer during the weekend and then WI on Tuesday I'm usually up 2-3 lbs. Maybe it still alot of water retention that you are getting rid of.

Guest Navarican

I started with WW in April and like you had decided that this was to be a permanant lifestyle change. I had the same questions because until the 11th week, I only had 3 WI's less than 2 lbs. the rest showed a loss of between 2.6 and 3.6 each week. I have started to slow down but I am eating all my points and I feel fine. I have not drank too much alcohol since my DH was diagnosed with HepC. I checked with my doctor about the rapid weight loss and he told me that some women carry (and lose) the weight differently and will lose weight at a faster rate. If it concerns you, check with your doctor. I think it's great that you have lost. Keep up the good work!!!

Ella Mae, if you're not eating all your APs, and you're concerned that you may be losing too fast, just starting eating those APs. They are extra fuel for your active body, so they're given to us to be eaten. In my humble opinion, they're not really optional like Flex Points are--our body needs the APs we earn for muscle repair after we exercise and to keep our metabolism up. Most people who eat all their APs (as long as they're figuring them correctly :) ) seem to have good losses, and stay more satisfied!

---Katie, CEO of Me, Inc & living my new-normal

highest:375(fall '98),5'4"//11-19-08 WW restart:277//current:247//2nd 10%:225//NEXT MINI GOAL:239//goal:150

*He leadeth me.

Ella Mae, I agree that you don't have to be concerned yet, but your weight loss will probably slow down over the next few weeks. You can keep doing what you're doing, or eat more of your activity and Flex points if you want. You are doing great .. keep up the good work!

:bcbsalute

Nancy

Original SW 175 (1996)

2008 stats: SW 153.6 12/31/07 ~ HW 156.0 09/15/08 ~ CW 153.2 09/22/08 ~ GW 137 ~ PGW 130

My pictures!

"Good food brings good health and longevity." - Chinese fortune cookie

Ella Mae:

Congrats on your WL thus far. I do drink beer, but not as much as Margarita's. I've found a sugar free Margarita mix that I use and like a lot. My point is that I'm not an expert on how decreasing beer may make you lose even more weight, but I did read recently an article that said,

"Many alcoholic drinks contain lots of energy. Calories from alcohol are also added to energy from the food eaten during the day. An interesting point to note is alcohol cannot be stored so its energy is metabolized until all alcohol is cleared from the body. It also means the body is limited to burning stored fat when drinking alcohol."
So decreasing it could mean that one burns more calories and fat, thus your continued big weight losses.

I would, as all have said, not worry about it at this point. But I also would journal, that way, if the rapid weight loss continues you could show your WW leader exactly what you've been consuming and that will give her a better idea of what may be going on.

Lastly, if the rapid wieght loss continues and you need to see your doctor, a journal would help him or her to have a better idea of what to look for, test for, or recommend that you change in your daily nutrition intake.

GTF

SW: 204.6 Highest ever :mad:

CW: 186.5 Thank Goodness:bcb_up

10%:183.6 Fantastic :bcb_happy

GW: 155 Excellent!

In regard to losing: Every ounce counts!