Health Discovery Network
WWCarol

SF No-Cook BLACKBERRY SAUCE and JAM

I found this "Low Sugar Freezer Jam" recipe at my Farmer's Market. I "tweaked" it to make No-Sugar No-Cook Blackberry Sauce and SF Blackberry Jam. DH is putting the sauce on waffles, and I used the jam as pie-filling in graham cracker crust tarts. This stuff is out-of-this-world delicious!:D Try different berries (add lemon juice or not, depending on the berries. Read pectin recipes in box to get good ideas~)

SF No-Cook Blackberry Sauce (Or Pie Filling):

6 cups ripe rinsed blackberries (I doubled the berries from the original recipe and it was perfect this way)

1 box pectin

1/2 lemon, juiced

1/4 cup of pourable Splenda, or 3 Splenda packets

Put berries in pan. Add lemon juice. Sprinkle pectin on top and stir. Let stand 30 minutes. Stir in Splenda.

SF No-Cook Blackberry Jam

6 cups ripe rinsed blackberries

1 box pectin

1/2 lemon, juiced

1/4 cup of Splenda

1 envelope of Knox gelatin, unflavored

Put berries into 3 quart pan. Sprinkle with pectin. Stir and let stand 30 minutes. Stir in Splenda. Dissolve gelatin in 1/4 cup boiling water. Bring berry mix to just under boil stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Add gelatin and stir. Pour into freezer containers. Can be done with 27 cups of berries at a time. Gels nicely.

Here is the original recipe:

Low Sugar Freezer Jam

3 cups berries

1 box pectin

1 3/4 cup sugar

1 1/2 envelopes unflavored gelatin

Put berries into 3 quart pan. Sprinkle with pectin. Stir and let stand 30 minutes. Stir in sugar. Dissolve gelatin in 1/4 cup boiling water. Bring berry mix to just under boil stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Add gelatin and stir. Pour into freezer containers. Can be done with 27 cups of berries at a time. Gels nicely.

P.S. Cleaning hint: If you get blackberry juice on any clothing, pour boiling water through the stain. It will wash away.:bcbsalute

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile

Guest jeremysmom

Thanks for this post. Jam is one of the things I really miss, and I HATE paying out the wazoo for store bought diet jams.

SF No-Cook Blackberry Jam

1/4 Splenda

Carol, would this be 1/4 cup of Splenda? Thanks for the recipe. I was just thinking the other day about trying to find a SF jam/jelly recipe.

Lisa

~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~

"How many times must you fall and then get back up before reaching the goal? Do it as many times as it takes." CW

Thanks for noticing, Lisa. You're right...1/4 cup of Splenda.

I changed it!

Tonight I put the "sauce" in a prepared graham cracker tart-sized crust (2 pt.), and topped it with whipped light cream in a spray can ( 4 TBS. = 30 calories). I'm calling this DELICIOUS Blackberry Tart = THREE points of HEAVEN!! :D It was better than any regular Blackberry Pie I have ever made!! :eek: :bcbsalute

I also put the "jam" in the tart-sized crusts. BOTH versions were fantastic!:D

Have you tried the liquid pectin? :help: There are a slew of ads on the Food Network Canada showing jam recipes using liquid pectin, and it looks as easy as anything! Since I have six boxes of blueberries in my fridge, I may try a small batch of jam with Splenda.

Gaining Momentum and losing weight!

Oh, oh, oh! Another question! I found this on the Splenda website:

MAKING JELLIES AND JAMS WITH SPLENDA

Even though SPLENDA® Granular is made from sugar, it does not act like sugar in every cooking and baking application. Regular pectin needs sugar and acid to gel. Jams and jellies made with SPLENDA® Granular must use low methoxyl pectin with calcium added. Regular pectin and even some no-sugar needed pectin will not gel with SPLENDA® Granular. The SPLENDA® test kitchen has made successful batches of jam and jelly using Pomona's Universal Pectin and Mrs. Wages Lite Home Jell. Both of these brands have added monocalcium phosphate, which allows the pectin to set without sugar. Read the ingredient list on the side of the pectin box to find out if your brand has added monocalcium phosphate. Always check with pectin manufacturer's instructions before making jams or jellies.

So, just curious if the pectin you used happened to be the low methoxyl pectin with calcium added?

Lisa

~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~

"How many times must you fall and then get back up before reaching the goal? Do it as many times as it takes." CW

Cordy~ I used the liquid pectin with some blackberry syrup I tried first. The syrup was slightly thick. It probably would have thickened up more if I had cooked it...which I didn't. It's definitely worth a try. If you don't get the results you want then try a box of "dry pectin" some time! (Even "failures" are "edible"! You just call it a different name!;) ) Definitely try it, Cordy! And let us know what you think.

DTTM~I added a box of PLAIN OLD MCP pectin! :eek: My DD said the pectin worked because of the sugar in-the-berries! :D It was a beautiful sight! It worked fast, and beautifully.

First I had bought the Sure Jell Low-Sugar Pectin. When I read that it could not be used with sugar substitutes, I decided that I may as well use regular dry pectin I had on hand!

If you don't get the results you want, you can always add the dissolved unflavored Knox gelatin! It just made it set up a bit more (not turn into Jell-O or anything~ ;) :) )

DTTM~I added a box of PLAIN OLD MCP pectin! :eek: My DD said the pectin worked because of the sugar in-the-berries! :D It was a beautiful sight! It worked fast, and beautifully.

It probably also worked because of the lemon juice that you added which provides the acid. You could have also added in some lemon rind (finely minced) which has natural pectin and could help the process.

:exercise:Babyphat:exercise:

gotta get rid of the babyphat

sw 181.5

cw 162

gw 140

tl 19.5

It's that time of year again...Made Marionberry tarts for my family last night.

Core filling (I used the top recipe, not the jam), and counted the points for the graham cracker crust and light whipped cream topping. Yummy!