Health Discovery Network

Taco Soup

2 pts per 1 cup serving.

1 lb lean ground beef browned with onion.

1 can Whole Kernel Corn.

1 can Ro-tel

1 can Diced Tomatoes

1 can Bush's Chili Beans.

1 can Bush's Black Beans.

1 pkg Taco Seasoning Mix. (I use McCormick's)

1 pkg Buttermilk Salad Dressing Mix.

Combine all ingredients. Cook at least 30 minutes to

allow flavors to blend. This is delicious and very

filling.:D

This sounds like a great recipe. Thanks I'm printing it for my WW meetings :)

"When we go back to the Old way of eating ,

we go back to the Old weight...." Author Unknown

Dawn

Just wanted to let everyone know...I eat this all the time and I LOVE it! I dont' add the corn because I'm not a big corn fan, and instead of black beans I add Pinto Beans. But it's really good the original way too!

Andrea

Recommitted:6/17/04

173.8/168/164

WW Goal: 164 (4 lbs to go!)

10% Goal: 156.8 (9.8 lbs to go)

PG: 150 (18 lbs to go)

Guest jeremysmom

Sounds good, but does any one know the points??

It's 2 points for 1 cup....but it's VERY filling!

Andrea

173.8/168/164

Hi, made this last night and was totally delish! have a question though, what is ro-tel?? i could not find it anywhere and even asked 2 different employers at the store and i had them both stumped! i just used old elpaso taco sauce instead even though i have no idea what the ro-tel was. :p

also, just made a couple of changes.......BF is a strict veggie so i used soy crumbles instead of beef (couldn't tell the difference at all) and i used red beans instead of black. everything else was the same (used low sodium on everything i could). make a TON. BF used it in a bun like sloppy joes (or sloppy soys, as we call them), i mixed mine w/ lettuce for a taco salad. VERY VERY GOOD. will def make again!! i have leftovers today for lunch too!!

any help on the rotel will be greatly appreciated! thanks!

If not now, when?

www.ginacraig.com

I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with saints. (Billy Joel)

Hi Gina,

Rotel is a brand name of a product that is diced tomatoes with green chili's in it. Most stores have it, my tiny town does. = ) It would be right with the canned tomatoes. I use the Walmart generic brand version or you could use a can of plain tomatoes and if you want add in a small can of green chillis. Hope this helps = )

Kristen

SW 245/CW 153/GW 150/

Guest whatever_mickey

My leader was talking about this at the last meeting. I am going to try this tonite.

Mickey

Quick and probably stupid :embarrass question! Do you drain all the beans and corn before combining them? Or is the liquid needed for the soup part?

:bcbsalute MT

:salut MT

a18ec6f08b2b3ca.gif

I just made this and I can't believe how GOOD it is! Thanks for sharing the recipe. Does anyone know how many points it will be if I made it without the ground beef?

Sheila

Start Wt. 235.0

Current Wt. 193

Great recipe! And no, do not drain the beans. The vegetarian version of this would be good too, probably 1 1/2 points per cup. Enjoy!

This sounds Core except for maybe the Buttermilk Salad Dressing Mix. Anyone know? Also, I was making the chicken tortilla soup today, and I realized IT is Core! Can someone bump it out?

Latebloomer

Latebloomer

I drain the beans just because I like my soup a little bit thicker. I can't stand the taste of runny soup (i'm crazy i know)....in a nutshell, I like chili like soups and that's pretty much what you get if you drain the beans.

Andrea

173.8/168/164

If you use a no-sugar taco seasoning (or make your own) and do not use the buttermilk salad dressing mix, it would be CORE.

Also, I cook my beans from dried and don't use canned. If I want extra liquid, I add some of the cooking "juice".

Any idea on the sizes of the cans of diced tomatoes and beans that this recipes calls for?

(Momma25) Momma to five

http://www.realfoodliving.com

In remission from Acute Leukemia

Diabetic, low GI and no FRANKENFOODS!

218/in-between/125

Guest Trishq

I made this tonight and it was wonderful. I used lean ground turkey instead of the meat and added an additional can of pinto beans. It was yummy

I made this last night and it was GREAT! But I'm a little worried about the points, it seems like it must be more than 2 pts. per cup.

mine wasn't real thin it was pretty thick. Has anyone checked the points for it?

Terrilyn

My Weight Loss Chart

Starting Weight: 184.6

Current Weight: 165.2

Goal Weight: 115

I was curious about the points too. I used as many of the exact brand names suggested in the recipe and calculated the points to be 3.7 per cup. Still relatively low, for as filling as it is. This is a great recipe!

I have been on WW since July and have seen posts for this recipe before and not made it. Well I made this just a little bit ago and YUMMY!!!! I love it! Definately something that I could almost live off of!! I love something that I can just open a bunch of cans and have something soooo good!:exercise:

~~~Steph~~~

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

I worry about the points as well, as cans come in lots of different sizes and generally beans are 4 points per cup and ground beef even more.

I ran this through the online recipe builder with the amounts in the cans I'm using tomorrow and the entire total is 32 points. I'm using 95% lean ground meat and can't find Buttermilk Salad dressing so am using Ranch. I don't know how much this will make but will measure it and figure out what the per cup total is. IF it's 8 servings then it would be 4 points per serving.

If you want to lose the weight you’ll find a way - if not, you’ll find an excuse.

SW: 265 (1/10/05)

CW: 175

WW Goal weight:179 (1/19/06)

Lifetime: 3/2/06

PG: 165

I just made this, but tweaked it to my tastes. I love it! Thanks to Jerz_Girl for alerting me to this awesome recipe. :D

Here's what I did:

Taco Soup with Paris' tweaks

1 pound 93% lean ground beef

1 large onion, chopped

4 tbsp garlic, minced

1 Simply Organic® ranch dressing packet

1 Simply Organic® taco seasoning packet

2 cups roasted corn, frozen

2 zucchini, shredded

2 carrots, shredded

2 cups medium salsa

1 (15 oz) can Muir Glen® fire-roasted crushed tomatoes

1 (15 oz) can Westbrae® chili beans

4-cups fat-free organic chicken stock

In a large, heavy soup pot, brown the ground beef with the onion and garlic. When the beef is cooked through and onion translucent, add in the spice packets and combine. Mix in the rest of the ingredients, bring to a boil, then turn down the heat and allow to simmer for several minutes. Add water or stock if needed for more broth.

Serves 14-16 @ 2 points per cup (entire recipe is 26 points by my count with a Points Slider)

273.8/266.8/164

restart 1 November 14

Adding the stock and veggies would definitely bring the points down Paris. The actual points of the posted recipe are 3.5 per cup. I ran it through the online recipe builder and will post the amounts in the cans I used below. I used the products we have here in Canada (so substituted brands). If you think about it, there’s no broth and it’s full of beans and meat. A cup of beans has 4 points so it has to be close to that amount of points. I left out the salad mix and it was very good.

Taco Soup

3.5 pts per 1 cup serving.

1 lb lean ground beef browned with onion. (used 95% lean)

1 can Whole Kernel Corn (11 ounces)

1 can Ro-tel (19 ounces)

1 can Diced Tomatoes (14 ounces)

1 can Bush's Chili Beans (14 ounces)

1 can Bush's Black Beans (19 ounces)

1 pkg Taco Seasoning Mix. (I use McCormick's)

1 pkg Buttermilk Salad Dressing Mix.

If you want to lose the weight you’ll find a way - if not, you’ll find an excuse.

SW: 265 (1/10/05)

CW: 175

WW Goal weight:179 (1/19/06)

Lifetime: 3/2/06

PG: 165

I love Mexican foods and I can't wait to try this one....Has anyone added Cilantro? If so, how did that work out?

Guest chocomomma

I make a taco soup recipe, but I use Golden Hominy, instead of corn. I've never calculated the points - maybe someone can.

1 lb lean ground beef

1 can mild rotel

1 package mild taco seasoning mix

1 package ranch dressing mix

2 cans busch's chili beans

1 can golden hominy

Mix together and enjoy. Of course, I am a cracker and fat free cheese freak also. I'll have to limit my cracker intake.

I make this often and my whole family loves it...

Options I have found:

Use ground turkey instead of the hamburger

Use kidney beans in place of the Bush beans

Don't use corn

Add another can of stewed tomatoes to make it go further

:wave: TLC:wave:

"Be like a postage stamp, stick to something until you get where you are going..."

Starting date: 8-15-05

SW: 197.4

10% target: 19

CW: 181.0

"You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there."

www.picturetrail.com/kimjomom