Health Discovery Network
chichimoms

beginner's exercise program

Does anyone know of a good beginner's fitness program that progresses slowly and involves stretching, cardio, and weight training? In addition to being very out of shape, I have pretty bad asthma and COPD so I need to start slow or I won't stick with it. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Start: 8/8/04 - 223

Current: 199.5

Goal: 136

23.5 down, 63.5 to go

Guest kellysmom

I've heard that Curves, a ladies fitness program is great. Low impact and the best thing is that it's only 30 minutes!

Guest girlinmotion

I've also heard that Curves is a nice way to start, if you are looking to join a club. However, if you would be just as happy doing something on your own, you can do a lot of good that way as well. The best way to start on your own is usually with walking. Start off with 15-20 minutes most days of the week. Work up to 30-60 minutes 5-6 days per week. Walk at a pace that feels comfortable, eventually increasing your pace so that you are breathing faster and you feel you are "working". Because you have some physical limitations, be patient with yourself. If you can only manage 10 minutes at a slow pace, just do that for the first week or so...then try 15 minutes or a faster pace. Before you know it you'll be walking away like the energizer bunny! Maybe you'll even take it up to a jog someday.

If you don't have some solid walking shoes (with cushioning and support), buy some walking or running shoes. Running shoes are pretty much like walking shoes, but better. So buy the best shoes you can afford. Preferably, go to a running store or big sports store and talk to an expert. They should assess which way you pronate, and how high your arch is, then bring you some shoes to try. Pick one that feels supportive but comfortable. If they don't look at the way your foot moves etc., ask. Good shoes are important.

Walking takes care of the cardio aspect of fitness. Other options for cardio would be aerobics, aquarobics, biking, elliptical, most sports etc. If you already have an activity you like (or even used to do as a kid) that gets your heartrate up, try getting into doing that more often. Cardio can be a lot of fun. Playing tag with kids is cardio. Running around with your dog can be cardio. Just get moving!

The other components of a decent fitness routine are stretching and strengthening exercises. You can get a video on beginner weightlifting if you like. Kathy Smith is one I recommend. I've also heard good things about Karen Voights books and videos, and the Weightlifting for Dummy's series. I started out with some basic exercises, soup cans, and 5 lb dumbells (cheap from Walmart is fine). Weightlifting is great for a lot of reasons. It tones your muscles which is so motivating when you start to see strong toned muscles emerge as you lose your extra body weight! Having toned muscles will also increase your metabolism making weightloss and maintenance easier. And not to mention preventing osteoporosis!

Here is a good routine to do 2-3 times per week. Always rest 1 day in between.

Start with 1 set of 8 repetitions. Work up to 2-3 sets of 15 repetitions.

Upper Body

Bicep Curls:

Hold weights at sides. Curl weights up in front of you, palms up, until your hands reach your shoulders. Lower. Repeat

Tricep Dips:

Sit on the edge of a couch or bench, hands beside you gripping the cushion. Legs are bent with feet on the floor. Lower your butt in front of the couch using your upper arms to support you. Raise up to straigthen arms. Repeat. This is harder the farther your feet are away from you.

Lateral Raises:

Stand with weights at sides. Raise arms to a "T"-position, weights at shoulder height. Lower. Repeat.

Chest Flies:

Lie on your back on a bench or cushion. Raise weights above your chest, palms facing each other. Slowly open your arms into a "T"-position. Raise arms back to starting point. Repeath.

Lower Body

Squats:

Stand with feet shoulder width apart. Squat, sticking butt out behind you. Work up to squatting low enough that thighs are parallel to the floor. Be sure your knees stay in line with your ankles. Your knees should never get in front of your toes.

One-Leg Squats:

Same as regular squats but you lift one foot...this takes practise :headover:

Lunges:

Stand with feet shoulder width apart. Step forward with right leg, a big step. Lower your body straight down until front thigh is approx. parallel with the floor. Again be sure your front knee stays in line with your ankles. Your front knee should never get in front of your toe. Raise. Bring foot back. Repeat with left foot.

Calf Raises

Stand with feet shoulder width apart. Slowly raise heels so you are standing on your tip toes. Slowly lower. Repeat. Make this harder by holding weights.

Plies:

Step feet a yard apart or so. Turn toes out. Lower butt straight down to engage those inner thighs. Raise back up. Repeat.

Abs

Curls:

Lie on your back, legs bent, feet on the floor. Support your neck in your hands. Keep your chin in neutral position throughout, as if you had a grapefruit tucked between your chest and your chin. Relax your neck. Now slowly curl your ribs toward your pelvis so that your head and upper back comes off the floor. Uncurl. Repeat. It helps to keep a good position if you stare at a spot on the ceiling.

Bicycles:

Like on your back, knees bent, feet in the air (lower leg parallel to floor). Straighten right leg, lowering as far as possible without arching your back. Bend and return it to starting position. Now straighten and lower left leg. Repeat.

I hope those are helpful, they work a lot of the major muscle groups! I do exercises like this in front of my favourite TV shows so that I enjoy my workouts more. Another good way to keep it fun is to have a partner or some favourite music on!

Hi chichimoms,

I recommend the WATP (walk away the pounds / Leslie Sansone) series. It is a good start if you are very out of shape and you can always adjust the movements. No fancy dancy steps just walking in place and adding for example kneelifts and such if you can.

I bought the 3boxed set WATP express with stretchie band. It has a 15min (1mile), 30min(2mile), 45min(3mil3) workout which includes at the end of the workout the stretchie (rubber band for resistance / arm strength) and some stretching.

I started with the one mile and can do the three mile now easily and even started a running programm. If I can do it, you can too :)

For more information:

www.collagevideo.com (information, buying)

www.videofitness.com (information)

Bee

5'7 - 195/193/160

June 2003 - sw 291

May 2006 - Recommitted

Guest judyo53

I also recommend WATP for a beginner & I have the 3 tape set for abs which has a band you put around your waist that has two resistance bands/tubes coming out with hand grips. This was included with the set. I've heard some people say the band thing broke but mine hasn't & I've had it for over a year now.

Thank you SO MUCH for all your great replies. I feel hopeful now, and ready to get going! :exercise2

Start: 8/8/04 - 223

Current: 199.5

Goal: 136

23.5 down, 63.5 to go

Start slow!

You don't need a ton of equipment/clubs to get in some exercise.

I have WATP. and it's great.

I walk outside at least 6 days a week. Yesterday I did 1 1/2 hours of walking, but I've been doing it for some time for exercise.

Follow your "own" program, take it easy, start slow and work up to "more".

Ashlee :walking: :strong:

Be the change that you want to be.

Guest Ransomed One

Thank you all -- I got some good ideas from this thread, too. I really appreciate the way folks on this board really give specific answers!! :jumprope:

I've also heard that Curves is a nice way to start, if you are looking to join a club. However, if you would be just as happy doing something on your own, you can do a lot of good that way as well. The best way to start on your own is usually with walking. Start off with 15-20 minutes most days of the week. Work up to 30-60 minutes 5-6 days per week. Walk at a pace that feels comfortable, eventually increasing your pace so that you are breathing faster and you feel you are "working". Because you have some physical limitations, be patient with yourself. If you can only manage 10 minutes at a slow pace, just do that for the first week or so...then try 15 minutes or a faster pace. Before you know it you'll be walking away like the energizer bunny! Maybe you'll even take it up to a jog someday.

If you don't have some solid walking shoes (with cushioning and support), buy some walking or running shoes. Running shoes are pretty much like walking shoes, but better. So buy the best shoes you can afford. Preferably, go to a running store or big sports store and talk to an expert. They should assess which way you pronate, and how high your arch is, then bring you some shoes to try. Pick one that feels supportive but comfortable. If they don't look at the way your foot moves etc., ask. Good shoes are important.

Walking takes care of the cardio aspect of fitness. Other options for cardio would be aerobics, aquarobics, biking, elliptical, most sports etc. If you already have an activity you like (or even used to do as a kid) that gets your heartrate up, try getting into doing that more often. Cardio can be a lot of fun. Playing tag with kids is cardio. Running around with your dog can be cardio. Just get moving!

The other components of a decent fitness routine are stretching and strengthening exercises. You can get a video on beginner weightlifting if you like. Kathy Smith is one I recommend. I've also heard good things about Karen Voights books and videos, and the Weightlifting for Dummy's series. I started out with some basic exercises, soup cans, and 5 lb dumbells (cheap from Walmart is fine). Weightlifting is great for a lot of reasons. It tones your muscles which is so motivating when you start to see strong toned muscles emerge as you lose your extra body weight! Having toned muscles will also increase your metabolism making weightloss and maintenance easier. And not to mention preventing osteoporosis!

Here is a good routine to do 2-3 times per week. Always rest 1 day in between.

Start with 1 set of 8 repetitions. Work up to 2-3 sets of 15 repetitions.

Upper Body

Bicep Curls:

Hold weights at sides. Curl weights up in front of you, palms up, until your hands reach your shoulders. Lower. Repeat

Tricep Dips:

Sit on the edge of a couch or bench, hands beside you gripping the cushion. Legs are bent with feet on the floor. Lower your butt in front of the couch using your upper arms to support you. Raise up to straigthen arms. Repeat. This is harder the farther your feet are away from you.

Lateral Raises:

Stand with weights at sides. Raise arms to a "T"-position, weights at shoulder height. Lower. Repeat.

Chest Flies:

Lie on your back on a bench or cushion. Raise weights above your chest, palms facing each other. Slowly open your arms into a "T"-position. Raise arms back to starting point. Repeath.

Lower Body

Squats:

Stand with feet shoulder width apart. Squat, sticking butt out behind you. Work up to squatting low enough that thighs are parallel to the floor. Be sure your knees stay in line with your ankles. Your knees should never get in front of your toes.

One-Leg Squats:

Same as regular squats but you lift one foot...this takes practise :headover:

Lunges:

Stand with feet shoulder width apart. Step forward with right leg, a big step. Lower your body straight down until front thigh is approx. parallel with the floor. Again be sure your front knee stays in line with your ankles. Your front knee should never get in front of your toe. Raise. Bring foot back. Repeat with left foot.

Calf Raises

Stand with feet shoulder width apart. Slowly raise heels so you are standing on your tip toes. Slowly lower. Repeat. Make this harder by holding weights.

Plies:

Step feet a yard apart or so. Turn toes out. Lower butt straight down to engage those inner thighs. Raise back up. Repeat.

Abs

Curls:

Lie on your back, legs bent, feet on the floor. Support your neck in your hands. Keep your chin in neutral position throughout, as if you had a grapefruit tucked between your chest and your chin. Relax your neck. Now slowly curl your ribs toward your pelvis so that your head and upper back comes off the floor. Uncurl. Repeat. It helps to keep a good position if you stare at a spot on the ceiling.

Bicycles:

Like on your back, knees bent, feet in the air (lower leg parallel to floor). Straighten right leg, lowering as far as possible without arching your back. Bend and return it to starting position. Now straighten and lower left leg. Repeat.

Great post! Excellent advise.

*~LINDA~*

HW 386

SW 330

CW 284.2

GW 174

PW 150's

LOST: 102.2 lbs

5'10"