Health Discovery Network
Guest crystallyn

whole wheat pasta that doesn't taste like chewy dirt?

Guest crystallyn

Soooo what brands do you all recommend? I've tried it in the past and HATED whole wheat pasta...always just a bit too chewy and bland tasting. But with CORE, I'm willing to try something different, so any advice from you experienced whole wheat pasta lovers would be appreciated!

Wow, Paris! You remembered! :D

That is a "staff favorite" at my local food co-op. It's great! My family really likes it.

Also, with whole wheat pasta...cook al dente'. Don't overcook. It becomes mush...tongue.gif

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile

I guess my beloved Dreamfields wouldn't be ok?

Ouis

224/212/177/145

hard-corer

There is no "try," there is only "do"~ Yoda

I have used prince WW pasta it is ok as long as you use lots of sauce. I do so love dreamfields that I am not willing to give it up I eat very little pasta so eating dreamfields isn't going to hurt me

Donna

I love WW pasta, but only with the following sauce: Saute sliced mushrooms & onions till they exude their liquid, add a shot of Worcestershire sauce, some S&P, chicken stock & simmer till reduced. Add FF evaporated milk to make a yummy sauce.

Aside from that, I'll be acquiring a taste for it, I guess!!:p

Gaining Momentum and losing weight!

I feel the same way…whole wheat pasta is so gross. It just has a different texture and takes crappy.

I would rather have regular pasta. Isn’t either one 3 points per cup? Or are you trying to stay away from “white”?

Guest Kelly_S

On core plan white pasta is taken out of your FPs and wheat pasta is not....however you can only have pasta (white or wheat) or potatoes for 1 meal a day unless you use FPs for the other.

I buy Heartland whole wheat pasta at Walmart. It comes in a box. I usually cannot stand ww pasta, but I do like this! :)

I like Prince brand whole-wheat pasta too, but I don't like it cooked al-dente (6 minutes, according to the spaghetti box). I like to cook it a good 10-12 minutes to give it a soft texture like white pasta has, and to me, it has kind of a nutty flavor, but very mild. Good luck finding one you like. :)

:salut Karen

Mom to 2 girls (Jun. '03 & May '07)

LT Member -- Lost 55 lb. in 2001

HW (12/2000)....182.2

PP (5/2007).......172

Recommit..........164

Current.............160.5 (-3.5)

Goal.................137

Guest purecheez

If you live near a TJ's, they make an "organic whole wheat penne pasta" that is really good... and 5g fiber per 3/4 cup. It is really filling.

Guest Brucifer
I buy Heartland whole wheat pasta at Walmart. It comes in a box. I usually cannot stand ww pasta, but I do like this! :)

Agreed this stuff is pretty good and tastes great with some red sauce on it

Guest jmjgtodd

I know that Carol said to cook it al dente or it gets mushy, but the first couple of times I cooked it I did cook it for the allotted time and it was too chewy/crunchy for me. As a result, I didn't buy it again for a long time. A friend suggested cooking it longer. So I agree with Karen! I now cook it a few minutes beyond the recommended time and to me it is much better.

I would suggest testing it while you are cooking it to get it to the consistency that you like. I find that cooking it longer deminishes the chewy factor and it is much better. . . Just my opinion!

I cracked up when I read the title of this thread! :D What a great & hilarious description! I feel the same way about Whole wht pasta...just never knew how to describe the taste...til NOW. LOL~

Jel

'You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.'

TJs WW pasta is wonderful--

Ouis

224/212/177/145

hard-corer

There is no "try," there is only "do"~ Yoda

Al dente' means there is "resistance" to the tooth when you bite in...Just like regular pasta! :) (Not "crunchy"! :eek: )

And not mush. :p

Guest jfboots

Where do you find WW pasta?? Also the WW bread?? Is it only available in certain parts of the country??

THANKS!!

Norma

Personally, I don't care for whole wheat pasta, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE 100% Kamut pasta. It is mild, buttery, springy and all whole-grain! Yummmy! If you don't care for WW pasta, try Kamut! Look for it at your local health food store or co-op, or make it at home.

(Momma25) Momma to five

http://www.realfoodliving.com

In remission from Acute Leukemia

Diabetic, low GI and no FRANKENFOODS!

218/in-between/125

We bought some Ronzoni Healthy Harvest today at Publix. I'm hoping it tastes good. It was really all they had. Cross your fingers and I'll report back later. :)

We bought some Ronzoni Healthy Harvest today at Publix. I'm hoping it tastes good. It was really all they had. Cross your fingers and I'll report back later. :)

That's what I'm eating right now as a side dish with my meal, and I really like it - the texture is slightly heavier than regular pasta, but I'm eating it without sauce and I'm very much enjoying it.

181.2/123/125

Just a reminder, check the labels. Some brands call "whole wheat" pasta what is actually a blend of whole wheat and semolina (which is the same as "white" flour). 100% whole-grain pasta is what we want to look for.

(Momma25) Momma to five

http://www.realfoodliving.com

In remission from Acute Leukemia

Diabetic, low GI and no FRANKENFOODS!

218/in-between/125

Just a reminder, check the labels. Some brands call "whole wheat" pasta what is actually a blend of whole wheat and semolina (which is the same as "white" flour). 100% whole-grain pasta is what we want to look for.

Oh geez - t he first ingredient on the Ronzoni box is "enriched semolina" = does that mean that this is the wrong pasta?

And if it is, who makes the correct type of whole wheat pasta? I hate wasting my money (grumble grumble grumble...):(

181.2/123/125

I've got some Hodgson Mill from my regular grocery store (which I haven't tried yet).

And there are LOTS of choices at my food co-op, Bionaturae being my FAVORITE~

They say, "100% Whole Durham Wheat" (one is certified organic).

Skruggie~ It takes a bit to get this all sorted out... :bcbsalute :)

Frag. Looking more closely the Ronzoni does say "whole wheat pasta blend". Danged false advertising. :lol:

I don't wanna throw away what I bought. I wonder how the nutritional information compares?

Bummer. The Ronzoni has 20 more calories per serving. Which isn't a huge deal. But it has only half the fiber (3g vs. 6g) and 2g less protein (7g vs. 9g).

I compared it to Hodgson's Mills. I didn't go to the HFS this wknd. Guess I will hit there to get some *real* whole wheat pasta. Big fat bummer.