Health Discovery Network
DebbieBar

Core Question

Is Fiber One Cereal a Core Food?

Also, I intend to do the Core Food plan this week AND count points. Would activity points be added to the regular points or the 35 non core points?

Are rice cakes core or non-core? I was thinking of using these substitutes for bread at lunch.

Thank you

Debbie B.

It is not marked in the Complete Food Companion as a Core Food. I would suspect it is not core due to the other ingredients.

Though I was suprised to see 1/2 cup listed as 0 points. I think if you had more though you'd have to count it as calories would add up.

Joanne

SW 252.6/WWG 157/2013 Restart 192.6:bcb_huh:/CW189

Guest girlinmotion

The only cereals that are core foods are:

-cooked cereal with no added sugar such as oatmeal, cream of wheat etc

-puffed cereal (plain, no added sugar)

-shredded wheat (minis or "bales", not the kind with sugary coatings though :ugh: )

Also, you may only eat cold cereal one time per day, and it must be served with milk or yogourt. This is intended to eliminate the common "dieter" scenario where cold cereal is used as a crunch snack (and therefore eaten in large quantities). If you like it sweet, add fresh fruit or Splenda.

As far as I can tell, hot cereal can be eaten more than once per day if you like.

Note that if you are trying to stretch these limits for some reason you need to be careful. When you are reading a cereal label to determine if it contains any non-core foods, you need to watch for added fruit juice concentrate, malt syrup etc. Those are all added sugars. In addition, flours are not core foods.

Guest Kelly_S

The APs are earned and used the same day just like before but you only need to use them for the noncore foods.

Actually, Fiber One is not 100% bran

http://www.generalmills.com/stream_image.aspx?rid=731

Even All-Bran is not core as it is not really 100% bran.

Post 100% bran is the only bran cereal I saw that is core.

Rice cakes are not core either.

The Activity Point Info has not been released yet, but my leader has said they are added to the Weekly Allowance and the week one book says,

"The Wieght Watchers program lets you add to your weekly POINTS allowance with activity. You'll learn how in your third week of membership."

So until week 3 we won't know for sure if you have to use them the same day.

Joanne

SW 252.6/WWG 157/2013 Restart 192.6:bcb_huh:/CW189

Guest Kelly_S

Those of us that have e-tools or online have found out the answer. Yes they are still used the day they are earned or lost.

I appreciate all the responses. I get more out of this board than the meetings!! Looks like I'm going to give in and buy the food companion book and then produce a shopping list from the checkmarked items.

Debbie B.