Health Discovery Network
carrie01

Need some ideas on good workouts

I have been doing the Richard Simmons dvd's...they have really worked for me. The only problem is I am not losing any inches....I have joined a Gym but have fallen out of the "work out mode" I've started working out with Richard again but would love some ideas on good workouts either at the gym or home targeting losing inches.......please help!!!

Carrie :crazy:

27-5'4"

210/180/140

Hmmm - what kind of workouts are you looking for? Strength training; cardio, or both? How long have you been doing the Richard Simmons tapes? Is it possible that you have advanced beyond that level? If you really like the tapes you could also try getting some really light handweights (like 1 pound) to hold while you do the tape, that would help with toning and also increase your heart rate and burn more calories.

Does your gym offer cardio classes that you can try? In the past I have taken step aerobics and really liked it. I tried a spinning class (stationery cycling with a leader) and I'm hooked! Or do you prefer to do tapes at home? I've heard lots of people talk about the "Walk Away the Pounds (WATP)" tapes and also tapes from "The Firm". I'm not much for videos so I couldn't recommend either one.

Right now I'm doing a Couch to 10k running program; combined with strength training. On alternate days that I don't run, I'm doing a spinning class. I'd be happy to share my strength training routine if thats what you are interested in.

Denise

Thank you for the reply...yeah that would be great if you could share. I have been doing Richard since May i worked out diligently but slowed down after about 2.5 months....I bought another video thats a bit more intense....since losing my weight I have noticed my upper arms are a bit "flabby"....not very cute I've tried working the weight machines at the gym, but don't seem to be doing it right because I'm not sore.....so I'm an open for any suggestions....thank you again!!

27-5'4"

210/180/140

Check out this thread for an excellent strength-training program posted by GirlInMotion (I think it's the third post down): http://www.healthdiscovery.net/forums/showthread.php?t=65217

There are two critical keys to strength training:

1) Proper Form and

2) Correct Intensity

If you are not feeling "sore" a day or two after strength training, then chances are, you need to focus on these two things. Have someone at your gym (hopefully a personal trainer) help you with your form as well as what weight is appropriate. Or, if you work out at home, you should choose a weight that you can do 8-12reps with. If you can't complete 8 repetitions, then the weight is too heavy. If you can do more than 12 (without struggling), then the weight is too light.

Aim to do 2 sets of each exercise for 8-12 repetitions, at least once a week. This may not sound like much, but if you are working at a high enough intensity (i.e. high enough weight), you WILL feel sore, and after a month or two of training, you should start to SEE results (inches lost, increased muscle definition). BUT...you DO have to be consistent to get results. Many people break strength training into two sessions a week - upper body one day, lower body the other. If you can committ to 30 minutes each time, you will get results.

Good luck,

Jen

ACE-certified Personal Trainer

& WW Lifetime Member

weight.png

Oh thank you so much Jenn. I definately have started MAKING the time...I work out at least 4 times a week 1 hr at a time....It's more cardio than anything. I think I get it now though...I 'm going to switch off days with cardio and strength training. THANK YOU

27-5'4"

210/180/140

Guest Trishq

If you want to lose inches all I can say is Pilates!!!!

See if your gym offers it. I lost inches after just a week. It is amazing.

I think I get it now though...I 'm going to switch off days with cardio and strength training. THANK YOU

Exactly! This is what many people do. Just remember to warm up with some light cardio for at least 5 minutes before strength-training. This will increase blood-flow to your muscles and limber everything up, which is key to injury prevention. You could use your Richard Simmons tapes.

Cardio is important for burning that fat, but it is also important for conditioning your heart and cardiorespiratory system, which in turn lowers your risk for all sorts of chronic health problems (heart disease, diabetes, hypertension, to name a few).

Strength-training is often overlooked by many of us trying to lose weight, but it's just as important for long-term health. It helps preserve range of motion as we get older,alleviates/prevents some types of back pain, keeps the joints flexible, preserves lean tissue, delays/slows down osteoporosis, and preserves our functional abilities (i.e. hauling heavy bags of groceries).

When you combine the two, plus some stretching on a regular basis, you've got a terrific blueprint for healthy activity. As an added benefit, of course, you'll start to "see" those muscles as the fat melts away.

I lost about half my weight before I began exercising. Then I went to doing cardio for 30 min 5 times a week. THEN I started mixing in strength training - alternating as you say. After about three months, I noticed that I had nicely rounded shoulders and definition in my arms. I was close to my goal weight, though, so that helped. More importantly, I can run, jump, and otherwise keep up with my kids (aged 2 and 5). I can grab a bag of groceries in EACH arm and make it up the stairs without getting winded.

And if I look better in the mirror, well, that's just icing on the cake!

- Jen

ACE-certified Personal Trainer

& WW Lifetime Member

weight.png

Guest Brucifer

Carrie01

I don't know if this will help from the posative reinforcement aspect but basically everything Jennifer is telling you are the same things I'm hearing from the people I work with that are really into weight training and overall fitness (I work for a specialty retail and commercial fitness company)

I'm not sure, but most gyms that I've been to usually have a physio ball or a stretch trainer of some sort. Right after you're done with your cardio, stretching is just so important.

As for the weight training (depending on how much you really want to redefine your muscular shape) you can even split it up into four different workouts. Day 1 - Chest & Triceps, Day 2 - Lower Back and Biceps, Day 3 - Shoulders and Upper Back, Day 4 - Legs and Abdominals

But as Jennifer mentioned always warm up with some light cardio and stretching. It will really make a difference as to how much your body will be able to endure.

Good luck with your new plan... I know I'm excited about starting mine next week!!!

For those who exercise at home, which would include doing Richard Simmons, check out Mary at Total Fitness DVDs. That's where I get the majority of my fitness DVDs. I have both a gym membership and a home gym. I do strength training by Cathe Friedrich and other instructors, and I love boxing by Cathe, and riding. I go to the gym to ride a bike and do some things there, but mostly I workout at home. I also enjoy kettlebells very much. I lost about half my weight just doing kettlebells four times a week and walking. There is also Collage DVDs online, but Mary has excellent customer service. There are some fantastic instructors and working out at home can be just as effective as hitting the gym!

Jennifer wrote --- If you are not feeling "sore" a day or two after strength training, then chances are, you need to focus on these two things. Have someone at your gym (hopefully a personal trainer) help you with your form as well as what weight is appropriate. Or, if you work out at home, you should choose a weight that you can do 8-12reps with. If you can't complete 8 repetitions, then the weight is too heavy. If you can do more than 12 (without struggling), then the weight is too light.

I had my second personal training session. The last time I felt sore the day after. This time, I was brushed when I finished the session. We really upped to ante today, but I feel beat. Is that OK or should I not try so hard?

Paddler

Hi, not sure what "brushed" means unless its like sore but not as much but I'd think its a good thing. Better to just ask you personal trainer. Good for you on taking the steps towards your goals

I find chopping wood to be a excellent exercise. I also heard recently it's one of the best ways to burn off calories. I mean, I do it because I have a nice big natural fire rather than an artificial one, but whose to say you can't just randomly chop wood hehe.