Health Discovery Network
DebbieBar

Core Dieters who have lost weight

I noticed a lot of big losses with core dieters this week. Is it because you are eating less in general or do you lose wieght in spite of eating more food because the food you are eating is not processed?

Debbie B.

Guest Kelly_S

Much of it is science. Carbs tend to hold water to help process and simple carbs hold more. Since they are eat less procssed/simple carbs while some is fat loss some is also water loss.

I would say probably about 1/3 of it is water loss based on my nutritional classes.

Guest Ransomed One

So, Kelly S, would you expect the high weight losses to continue? Or should that level out? And would it work that way no matter how far you are from goal?

So many questions...

Guest Kelly_S

Again it should level out to .5-2 pound average a week. Just like with those who do a lowcarb diet and those who start a new diet (BTW much of Core is LOWERING carb ) will experience the water weight loss and then it levels out.

Guest judyo53

I mentioned on another thread that my curiosity is getting to me regarding how many points I'm actually eating on Core, so I might start journalling for a week or two just to see if I'm eating less, the same or more & try to figure that out depending on how my weigh ins come out.

So, if most of it is water weight does that mean those people who are switching back and forth between the two programs would expect a gain during their flex week?

Debbie B.

Guest Kelly_S

I did not say it was MOST I said it was a combination of about 1/3 probably based on some of my classes.

In reality unless you eat a lot of processed foods when you switch to Flex from Core there probably won't be that much of a change. And it still should be average out .5-2 pounds a week no matter what.

Guest Ransomed One

Thank you for this explanation. I find nutrition so complicated.

And although I am doing Flex, I do know that a lot of my eating changes has been, as you said, a reduction in simple carbs. :bcbsalute

I can think of a few other things:

They changed something (anything). This can break a plateau.

They're getting more water, because of the higher water content of their food (say, grapes (core) vs. raisins (not core), or cooked cereal vs. dry cereal).

They're eating fewer calories.

They're eating more calories (and have broken out of "starvation mode").

They're alternate-week losers (like me) and this was their week.

They feel less stressed on Core - and have shed some water as a result. (The same may happen if you feel stressed on Core and switch to Flex.)

I've heard fairly often that weight loss over 2 lb. in a week is water. It's hard to under-eat by enough calories to burn more excess fat than that. To the extent that's true, the weight loss should even out. Anyone who's still losing this fast after a month or so will probably be asked to "do something" -- it's not healthy to lose too fast.

Nancy

Original SW 175 (1996)

2008 stats: SW 153.6 12/31/07 ~ HW 156.0 09/15/08 ~ CW 153.2 09/22/08 ~ GW 137 ~ PGW 130

My pictures!

"Good food brings good health and longevity." - Chinese fortune cookie

Judy053, my first 5 days on Core I did keep track of points as if I were doing Flex. I also was eating up fruit yogurt and not starting with the oil as per Core. My daily points do not come to my allowed amount for my weight. After 5 days I lost 1.6 lbs and decided to heck with counting. I'm now just ticking off the veg., water, milk and oil. Last week I used all my flex points and this week I have 2 1/2 days to go and have 1/2 of them left. The first 5 days was confusing and a little hard as any new program is. This week has been so much easier.

I love being able to have canned soup to which I've added leftover green beans and couscous.

Last week I was the only member in the room of about 50 that was doing Core.

Ann

ann p

I was wondering if the big losses on Core were because they were just trying something new. I don't know. I don't want to jump into Core until I do more research and see how the early-switchers are doing after a few months. I'm that kind of person, careful and researched before I try anything new.

Lori

Lori - SW: 225, CW: 221.8, Weekly Loss: +1.2 :( Total Loss: -3.2

Guest ges79

There was an article this past month in Good Housekeeping that was titled, "How to lose weight while eating more" or something close to that.

Low and behold, it was basically advocating for high-density foods- which is EXACTLY what Core is.

I have been struggling to lose on Flex for months now, and am already seeing the scale go down.

I think it's a couple of things: (at least for me)

1. I'm less hungry because the food is much more satisfying

2. I don't think about food anymore or obssess over how many pts I have eaten or have left

3. Kinda ties into 3- when I'm full, I'm full...because I know that if I'm hungry later, there's plenty of things to eat!

I'm on my second week of CORE and I "think" I'm doing ok. and feeling good.

For me, I think it's been going well because:

- I'm eating more protein. I "like" protein and it keeps me full.

- I've started to eat more beans, which I've never done before, i.e. protein.

- It's a "new" plan to try so I'm not bored.

- I don't feel so "anxious" for some reason as if I'm "running" out of food to eat.

- I'm not eating much in the way of "sweets" other than fresh fruit and a Chapman's (2 point) no sugar fudge ice cream bar once in a while.

- I'm making absolutely "sure" that I eat my 3 meals, even if they are late in the day, i.e. lunch maybe at 1 or 1:30 sometimes.

So we will "see" how week 2 goes on Wed - weigh in day.

Ashlee :walking:

Be the change that you want to be.

Go to the Daily Thread under BCB Headquarters, set the view to show threads from last year, go back about 26 pages and start reading. Core was rolled out in August of last year, there are many threads about it, how it works for some, not for others, there's lots and lots of input.

I'm doing a combination, the "Flore" (Flex/Core) plan. I still track points because I have a tendency to overeat but I'm eating 99% Core foods. The 1% non-Core is things I like real well that the WPAs are spent on.

Both plans have merit and you're asked to stick to one plan or the other for a full week before switching. You could always try Core for just one week, if you hate it or find it doesn't fit in well with your lifestyle, switch back to Flex.

And yes, you can still journal online. The Points Pad isn't great from what I've read at the WW boards but lots of members use it.