Health Discovery Network
Meffy

Running Stamina

Hi -

I have been jogging 3x a week for a little over a month however, I have been sporadicly jogging for the past year. As of yet, I am only able to go for 2 miles and then I am DONE. I am young (25) , but was a very heavy smoker up until 3 years ago. I would really like to break through that level , any tips? Or am I where I should be at this point ?

Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks

"Go Confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you imagined."-Thoreau

SW-155.6/CW-152.0/WWGW-??/PGW-120

Guest girlinmotion

Are you just trying to run/jog the whole time? Most running training programs involve alternating between running and walking. This teaches your heart to adapt. The link below takes you to the coolrunning website's Couch to 5k program, which gives an example program. Since you can already jog for 20 minutes or so, you may want to start a few weeks into the program. http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Also, most beginner runners do walking intervals, even when they get up to the 5k and 10k distances. I always run 10 minutes, walk 1 minute. I have a better run doing that than if I just ran my full 50 minutes.

I hope that helps.

Thank you ,

I have been trying to add more walking into my run- ( that sounds so wierd!)

"Go Confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you imagined."-Thoreau

SW-155.6/CW-152.0/WWGW-??/PGW-120

I so want to be a runner! I keep trying to do some of the programs I've seen in magazines, where you walk 5 minutes, run for 1 and build up from there over the weeks. But that running one minute even kills me. I get really bad shin splints (even with stretching beforehand), and just can't seem to get the breathing right. If you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

SW:176 (8/31/04)

GW:144 (1/11/05)

CW:127.5

PG: 125

LIFETIME: 04/05/05

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"When it is obvious that the goals cannot be reached, don't adjust the goals, adjust the action steps." - Confucius

Guest sriesub2

Hi Mochajava: The first thing I learned when I started running was to have the proper running shoes, don't use cross trainers or walking shoes, but running shoes. Also if you are feeling tired during your walk, maybe slow down your pace, remember it's time not distance that matters. This is what I am trying to get through my head LOL all summer long, you will find that if you slow down your pace you are actually building your endurance. When I started running I had a hard time running for 20 minutes cause I would go all out, now I slow my pace down and can run for up to 2 1/2 hours....

As my husband says patience is the key. Keep us posted on your progress :)

If you have access to a local running store with a training program, I would highly recommend it. I started with a 5k class 2 years ago. I just ran 18 miles yesterday with my group training for a marathon. I'm 45, and I've been a couch potato my whole life (UNTIL NOW). I love it.

Dianne<br />Lifetime!

Guest 1texasmom

Mocha - warm up. I actually hired a personal trainer last summer to kick start me. That was the best overall piece of advise I got. My legs, calfs, shins, you name it, used to hurt even after just a couple of minutes. She had me start with a 2 minute slow walk, then a 5 minute brisk walk before I run and then a slow jog for 5 minutes. It makes all the difference in the world. I still have aches and pains as I go, but not near as bad.

Meffy - 10%. That's the amount of time you should add to your training run per week. Your body will thank you. This I heard from my trainer but didn't tune it in. Coolrunning and beginnertriathlete both advocate the 10% rule as you increase. So far it's working for me. I've been running 2-3 miles 3x a week and I'm working my way up to 6 miles.

WeighToGo - aewsome run!

Sriessub2 - I agree. Gotta have the right shoes. And the right fit. Take your old shoes in and let them see all of the worn spots. They can help you get shoes to prevent rolling or provide extra support where you need it.

happy trails!

Mocha - I too had the same problem when I started running (a minute seemed like an eternity!) If a minute is too long, start with 45 seconds. If that's too long, try 30. Just keep inching that number higher, and you'll be running in no time!

Make sure you have proper running shoes, and that you're using proper form. You'll do great!

I started running in the spring. I'm running my second 5k tomorrow. As everyone said, shop for the best shoes possible. Try not to go to a store in the mall, I don't find that teen clerks at some of the athletic store have the best experience. Go to a place where they really try to fit you with the right shoe and don't push more expensive ones on you.

Here's a link to a popular training program in our area. http://www.canada.com/vancouver/specials/sunrun/training/run.pdf My friend went from being essentially sedentary to running 10k in about 4 months. Just take your time, don't push yourself too much in the beginning. And just listening to your breath. I find that I end up breathing in 2 and out 1. Do what works for you. :) But make sure you get good shoes and a great bra! ;)

Recommit - Jan 2008

Highest weight - 170

170/142(ww)/137(pg)