Health Discovery Network
Balie

Chicken with 40 cloves of Garlic

Now don't let the title scare you. This recipe is quite delicious and the garlic actually becomes sweet. It is a very elegant dinner.

2 t Olive Oil

1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts (I cut them into 4 ounce sizes)

40 cloves garlic - peeled

1 1/2 Cups white wine

3 sprigs Thyme ( I used 1 t dry and was fine)

1 spring Rosemary (I used 1/2 t and was fine)

1 teaspoon tarragon

parsley

4 stalks celery cut into 1-2 inch lengths

2 1/2 Cups pearl onions ( or use chopped)

Preheat oven to 350.

Place the onion and celery on the bottom of a prepared 13 x 9 inch pan. Lightly sprinkle parsley over all.

Lightly brown the chicken on each side in the olive oil. Approximately 5 minutes. Place chicken on the celery and onions. Lightly brown the cloves of garlic, approximately 3 minutes. Place the garlic around the chicken.

Combine the wine, thyme, rosemary, tarragon. Pour over chicken. Cover and place in the oven. Check chicken at 45 minutes. and then at 15-20 minute intervals. Recipe calls for cooking 1 1/2 hours.

According to recipe:Calories: 336, Fat 10 g, dietary fiber 1.6 g. POINTS:7

I didn't use the olive oil, used Olive flavored Pam instead. The original recipe called for Cognac at the final step and I omitted that altogether. But if you choose to use the cognac, this is what the recipe said:

Heat 2 Tablespoons cognac in small saucepan and light with a match. Pour over chicken and shake casserole until flames die down. That sounded scary to me and cognac is very expensive!

any idea how many bulbs this is?

VANESSA

274/248.5/under 150

Size 26/20/8ish

1/4/08: -10

2/1/08: -8.5

3/7/08: -0

4/4/08: -4.5

5/2/08: -4

I have made this recipe a few times and it is very good. It is about 3-4 heads of garlic. The garlic becomes sweet and very flavorful.

I strive to be the person, my dog thinks I am.

Between Tomorrow's Dream

Yesterday's Regret

Is Today's Opportunity.

Can't wait to try this one! My mom used to make something very similar, but it had (shudder)... cream and egg yolk at the end to thicken it. Batter leave that out though. It sounds like the juices would be excellent tossed w/ some ww angel hair pasta, too.