Health Discovery Network
CordyC

Cordy's CORE Oat Bread

HI Carol,

I did consider 1 1/2 liquid = 1 1/2 liquid, but I was thrown by the vinegar AND the yogurt. I personally wouldn't see the need for the souring of the milk if using yogurt (but that's just a personal opinion), so I wrongly assumed it was either yogurt OR soured milk. (Just how my little brain works, I guess :embarrass )

Anyway, the bottom line is Cordy, this is plain DEEE-LISHHHH! (It was even good when I messed up, LOL!) And I'm going to make it regularly, so I'll be trying new ways to make it. All good! Yummm yummmm!

(Momma25) Momma to five

http://www.realfoodliving.com

In remission from Acute Leukemia

Diabetic, low GI and no FRANKENFOODS!

218/in-between/125

Ottermum! Give it another try! It'll taste even better~

Oh yeeesssssssss!!! I'm soaking my oats tonight! :D WHOOOOOWEEEEEEE!!

Think I'll add some coconut extract and see where that leads me.

Jeannette

"I have searched for the phrase "I shall walk the Earth and my hunger will know no bounds", but I keep getting redirected to Weight Watchers." Ianto Jones, Torchwood

Just took a batch outta the oven, and they look much different! Lighter and less dense. I used 1 1/2 cups fat free milk soured with lemon juice (the yogurt thing just threw me), and I added 1/2 tsp LorAnn Chocolate Hazelnut Flavoring, which smells more like rich coffee than chocolate hazelnut but I have about 20 bottles of these diffferent flavourings I might as well use up. Next time I might use the Strawberry flavour, or the English Toffee. Yum.

I brought the recipe to my leader today with the question, "Is it core if it's made from core ingredients? There seems to be a question about this that WW Int'l in the states can't decide on." She said "Of course it's core if it's made from core ingredients! That's what's in the new Turnaround cookbook, so I can't see that it would be any different." She also has never heard of the "trigger food" argument (or even the phrase as an official term) for not allowing anything made from core ingredients. However, she asked me to email the recipe to her and she would forward it to the WW Canada GM to see what the problem might be if there is any.

Thanks!

Jeannette

"I have searched for the phrase "I shall walk the Earth and my hunger will know no bounds", but I keep getting redirected to Weight Watchers." Ianto Jones, Torchwood

Guest judyo53

I also posted this on the Daily Thread but this was a more appropriate place. I sauteed fresh pineapple rings with a little bit of Brown Sugar Sweet 'n Low sprinkled on top (I sauteed in a spritz of "good" oil). I sliced the bread in half (tried to but got 3 uneven slices as it was still somewhat frozen-had to nuke it again since I keep it in the freezer as I only have 1 piece daily) & placed the sauteed pineapple rings on top for a pineapple upside down cake-as I stated, this is about as creative as I can get-& someone else probably wrote this & I'm thinkin' it came out of my own head!

Cordy, thanks for the recipe, and thanks to everyone's add-in ideas.

This recipe has me craving lemon blueberry scones, so my first batch will probably add in some grated lemon zest, and some blueberries.

Question -- is the splenda amount for the packet Splenda or the Splenda measure?

This will be so much fun!

179.2/137.2/145(WWG)/135 (PG)

Lifetime since May 1988

Back On Program since November 29, 2008

I used the measureable Splenda, skymom, because that's what I have in the house.

I am trying an experiment tomorrow - instead of the overnight soak, I will pour boiling water over the oatmeal and let it sit while I enjoy my coffee. To add the dairy component, I'm going to mix in soy milk powder. Wish me luck!!! :water1:

Gaining Momentum and losing weight!

Hi..........I have just "found" this board again & I'm thrilled with all the new CORE recipes!

I have a question for you Cordy....a friend gave me the recipe for your oatbread, I followed your directions but the "dough" was runny! I managed to scoop the dough onto my baking sheet but while baking, it spread out like a large pancake! Could you possibly tell me what I did wrong? I read all the raves about it & I'm longing to try it!!

You can email me at lorac1945@shaw.ca if you wouldn't mind!

Thanks so much!

Carol

PS...I'm just starting week 4 on CORE & love it!!!

Carol~ Try baking it in a 9" pie pan. Mine turned out perfectly that way. See my above comments. (It wouldn't have held it's shape on a baking sheet, either~) :wave:

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile

Thanks WWCarol.....I will definetly try this today! Another question though & it's one I should know the answer to....is there any "baking" difference in using regular oatmeal or the quick cooking? In my first attempt at the scones, I used quick cooking oats. Now I'm wondering if it should have been different ones.

Thanks for your help!

Carol

If anything, you will get a lighter, more "cake-like" product with the quick oats. The rolled oats should result in a denser product (which I loved! :D )

I've realized that being on Core means needing ( ;) ) to have: oat bran, quick oats, AND rolled oats! (I have found Quick TOASTED Oats at Safeway, which are cool~) and I love the Snoqualmie Rolled Oats because they're even "thicker" than Quaker! :eek:

The neat thing is, you can switch them around and get a different product that way~ :bcbsalute

Just try this with rolled oats sometime and see which you like the Best! :D

Cordy~ Since I didn't "soak oats" last night, I put my rolled oats in milk I had boiled in the microwave.

It soaked that hot milk up pretty quickly! Probably 10 minutes, or so~

I put the batter in an oval casserole dish and added the extras: applesauce and an egg, again. Luckily, no overflow in the bigger dish! :)

I sauteed a can of pineapple chunks in 1 TBS. whipped butter, and 1 tsp. Sucanat. Made a Pineapple Shortcake w/dab of light whipped cream for an extra WAP per serving~

DH said, "It couldn't have been any better!" :angel

So, if you forget to soak overnight, you can still have shortcake today! :bcbsalute

Do you think it work out if I substituted wheat bran for oat bran? I have a box of wheat bran in the cupboard that I would finally like to use up. :)

Also, did anyone else's scones turn out slightly green? :embarrass Mine are a very very light mossy green but not mouldy because they came out of the oven that way, with a slightly mossy/earthy smell. It put my husband and kids off eating them- not a bad thing, but they are kinda putting me off eating them as well. Very weird. Hopefully it won't cause the growth of superflous body parts, though I could use the extra arms and probably another head. :D

Jeannette

Carol, I used hot tap water, 1/3 *. soy milk powder and a 10-minute soak this a.m. Because the size of the oatmeal flake I was using was less thick, it was poifect!!! Your additions sound divine!!

Jeannette, the "green" is a little weird, despite the fact that this is originally based on an Irish soda bread recipe. I have no theories, but I wouldn't think that "Kermit cakes" would be especially edible.

Gaining Momentum and losing weight!

Wheat bran will give you an entirely different product! Not bad, necessarily. Just different. There's really no way to know until you try~

Sounds like you're feeling adventurous...!?

I know what you mean about the color. I never notice the baked "oat" products being greenish the first day, but after the first day I notice it a little bit. (Just like on the Pineapple Oat Bran muffins? After the first day, when I would break one apart? There would be little cob-webby-looking "strings" that would pull between the pieces. :confused: I just figured it was a combination of the ingredients/the moisture/and what happened over time. Still TASTED good!)

Just like the greenish scones/oat bread taste good. OUR problem is getting baked goods to the second and third day~ ;) :bcbsalute

Don't know anything about an "earthy" or "mossy" smell... :confused:

"Oat-y" is what I notice~ There's nothing off-putting on the taste or smell of mine~

Oats can go rancid, if not used within a certain period of time. But you probably would have noticed that smell while measuring.

Thanks Gordy, this sounds great and just what I needed. And thanks to all the others what a wealth of ideas and variations. :exercise:

Bonnyrose

"If you want to predict your future...create it!"

YA YA "Empress who Dances on Tables"

289/242/175>

Sounds like you're feeling adventurous...!?

Nope just frugal :D

I'm not sure, Carol, maybe the smell is oaty.. hmm.. it smells like mild peat moss to me. Hm.. AND it's green!! Great for St. Patty's day!! :lol:

It was a fresh package of Bob's Red Mill Old Fashioned Oats that I used. Maybe it has something to do with the flavoring I used, but I only used 1/2 tsp.

I know what you mean about the color. I never notice the baked "oat" products being greenish the first day, but after the first day I notice it a little bit

They're getting darker every day. I thought I'd leave them out on the counter instead of covering them, hoping the scent might dissipate (sp?) and they might firm up a bit. So far, no luck.

A thought just popped into my head- I soaked the oats for about 14 hours. I wonder if THAT had anything to do with the colour/taste?

I'm pretty sure it's not going to kill us , I just thought it was a little weird. :D

I'll try the wheat bran next time, may be it'll smell/look better.

Jeannette

Well what about "taste" Ottermum? THAT'S what's important...! :eek: ;)

Mine taste "buttery" and "oaty"..they are absolutely delicious~ :angel Like fresh-from-a-bakery. There is no question that they are good-to-eat.

If yours don't taste good, I'd dump 'em. :p I just went to check on mine (second day) and it would be hard to call them greenish...more like "browned" and inside, golden-brown.

(On this last batch, I left out the vinegar; the yogurt was sour enough, I figured.) :bcbsalute

OK I just pulled these out of the oven a few minutes ago - can't say I'm thrilled with the result. I doubt I'll be making them again. In fact, I'm not sure what I'll do with the pan that I've made. I know my husband won't eat them and I don't think I will either. I made them exactly as the recipe said, they did rise, but they aren't at all what I expected. Oh well, different tastes eh? Sheila

If yours don't taste good, I'd dump 'em. I just went to check on mine (second day) and it would be hard to call them greenish...more like "browned" and inside, golden-brown.

Well, I stuck that batch in the freezer (I still hear my little 92 year old German grandmother in my head telling me, "wasting food is a sin!" :( ) and made another one last night.

I followed the instructions to the letter, except I used 1/4 cup of splenda and only soaked it for 10 minutes, used the yogurt/ milk combo, didn't throw in any flavorings. This batch came out more golden, but the inside portion was less green this time, but not golden, and they had less of that smell. It wasn't until I was in bed that it dawned on me that they have probably been slightly underbaked this whole time!!! ARRGH!!! :embarrass BOY, DO I FEEL STUPID!!! I have been married to this "30 minutes" time, and they were firm in the middle to the touch. They looked golden when I took them out, but they're oats- they always look golden. :lol: I guess next time I'll have to leave them in there for 35 minutes or maybe 40.

Thanks for your help, Carol! :buddysmoo What can I say, I'm an idiot. :o

Jeannette

(I still hear my little 92 year old German grandmother in my head telling me, "wasting food is a sin!" )

Don't you probably think she meant to say, "Wasting edible food is a sin"?! ;) :p

And I don't believe it anyway. It can become bird crumbs! (Unless the birds won't eat it! :eek: )

Or it can become compost, and return to/enrich/the earth! :angel

I cook mine in a small convection oven, so it's getting very "cooked" in that 30 minutes time. These are very different baked goods from the usual scones/cornbread/cake most of us are used to. I decided to call the Cornbread I made last night "Polenta Bread". It's very crunchy, substantial, and "sour" from all the sour cream/yogurt in it. I really really liked it! :) But it ain't Marie Callendars (soft/buttery/honey sweet). It's completely different. And it was great with my Lentil Chili.

BTW,

Try the savory/garlic version spread out on parchment to about 10 inches (or more for thin crust) for a Core Pizza Crust.

Also, I never soak mine overnight any more. I started not overnight soaking last week (I think I posted about it, not sure) and it works just great! I also think overnight soaking made that batch spoil. The leftovers smelled awful the next day and I tossed them. But the leftovers made with the non-overnight soaking stays fresh longer which is a good thing :headover:

Cordy m'dear, you've got a Core classic here! So versatile!

(Momma25) Momma to five

http://www.realfoodliving.com

In remission from Acute Leukemia

Diabetic, low GI and no FRANKENFOODS!

218/in-between/125

Don't you probably think she meant to say, "Wasting edible food is a sin"?!

Oh very funny!! :p

I avoid the overnight soaking now, particularly since I noticed that it was "stringy" when I stirred the oats the next day. ICK!! The next batch I make I'll use the wheat bran and bake it for longer.

Jeannette

I soaked overnight in the fridge. Did you, Momma or Ottermum? Just wondering about the possible reason they spoiled~ :confused:

I think we're getting this stuff figured out here! :bcbsalute

Also, if you don't have parchment, I'm a HUGE fan of Reynold's Non-stick Aluminum foil...NOTHING sticks to it! :D

And when you mentioned the thin "pizza crust", Momma, I started thinking idea.gif ...Oatmeal "Cookies"! :eek:

Add more Splenda...cinammon. Seems like it could work...Obviously very dense, very substantial, very "healthy" oatmeal "cookies"...! ;)

Or, couldn't it be the base of a fruit "tart". A kuchen with sliced, layered fresh fruits on top~ Just tossing out some ideas~ :)