Health Discovery Network
lorac55ca

Carol's Core Banana Bran Breakfast Muffins

There might be some controversy over whether these are CORE or not so to be on the safe side, I count the Points for them. I made the dozen over a week ago & so far have only had 4. they freeze great!I have a picture of them...wish I could share it!!

Carol

CAROL'S CORE BANANA BRAN BREAKFAST MUFFINS

2 cups quick-cooking oats

1/2 cup oat bran

1/2 tsp salt

1 tbsp baking powder

1 1/2 tsp baking soda

1 1/2 tsp cinnamon

1/2 tsp nutmeg

Liquid Ingredients

3/4 cup Splenda Granular

2 large bananas -- very ripe, mashed**

1 tsp vanilla

1 lg egg -- beaten

2 tbsp canola oil

1 tbsp orange zest

1 1/2 cups skim milk -- soured w/lemon juice

2 cups Fiber One Cereal

Preheat oven to 375°

Pam spray 12 Texas size muffin tin or divide batter into regular size tins.

Stir all wet ingredients together including bran cereal.

Let stand 5 minutes or until the bran cereal is soft.

Combine all dry ingredients ; fold wet into the dry mixture. Batter is about the consistency of cake batter. Divide evenly into the muffin tins.

Bake 17-19 minutes.Test with a cake tester or toothpick for doneness.

Remove from oven & let cool for 5 minutes before removing from the tins.

Finish cooling on a wire rack

12 Jumbo Muffins @ 2 Points each or free on CORE

** I mash my bananas with my immersion blender till smooth & creamy.

***Any allowable fruits{ie: blueberries} can be added as long as they are a CORE fruit & not dried.

Carol, these sound wonderful!

The only thing that I'm not sure is Core is the Fiber One Cereal, so if it's not Core, you'd only have to count the points for the Fiber One, if you're on the Core Plan.

Does anyone have any info on Fiber One? I'm not a big cold cereal eater, and the only cereal I'm really clear on is my beloved spoon-sized shredded wheat! I'll look it up right now!

Carol, thank you for the recipe!.....going to print it now!

Guest judyo53

Supposedly one of these changes/corrections was that Fiber One is Core, which I was surprised it wasn't listed that way to begin with. However, I've yet to hear about any changes at my meeting. This one does make sense, though.

From what I've been told the Fiber One is CORE because it has aspartame instead of sugar in the list of ingredients.

If WW considers bran cereal a potential "trigger" food I just can't see myself bingeing on a dry bran cereal! It would like eating sawdust!!!

A friend of mine substituted spoon sized shredded wheat with bran in place of the Fiber One. It made a smaller muffin but she says it works. Suggestion was to add about 1/8-1/4 cup more liquid.

Carol

PS....I made a batch of these yesterday using the shredded wheat with bran{crushed them a bit but not to make a 'flour}, stireed in 1 cup finely grated carrot & a peeled diced apple.They turned out great!!!

Hi Carol! :wave:

Do you think I could substitute All Bran for the Fibre One? I've got a open box to use up.

Jeannette

"I have searched for the phrase "I shall walk the Earth and my hunger will know no bounds", but I keep getting redirected to Weight Watchers." Ianto Jones, Torchwood

Thanks! Glad to know my favorite, shredded wheat can be subsituted.

I won't be using Fiber One now because I avoid products with aspartame. No wonder it's Core - no sugar! Good to know shredded wheat can be substituted.

These sound so good! Going to give them a try soon.

Lori

start 208

current 193

goal ww 158

goal personal 148

highest 242

"Don't tell God how big the storm is, instead tell the storm how big your God is."

You would have to use Kelloggs Extra Fiber All Bran Cereal (sugar free) as the regular All Bran has sugar.

ann p

You would have to use Kelloggs Extra Fiber All Bran Cereal (sugar free) as the regular All Bran has sugar.

Does the Extra Fiber have aspartame? :p

Does anyone have e-tools? I'd love to know if any of these bran cereals mentioned are Core. I didn't think so.

But, depending upon the points per muffin, with the bran cereal (possibly) not being Core, it seems like it could be a fraction of a point, if not "zero". :bcbsalute :)

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile

The All Bran with Extra Fiber has aspartame and high fructose corn syrup so I doubt it's truly Core, but with all the fiber it would be less than one point.

I ran the recipe through MC with the Fiber One and 1/12 of 2 cups of Fiber One is only 20 calories with 4g of fiber so you could count it as 0 points if you only ate one.

Joanne

SW 252.6/WWG 157/2013 Restart 192.6:bcb_huh:/CW189