Health Discovery Network
wwbabe

Sheryl's Core Chocolate Snack Cake

Sheryl's Core Chocolate Snack Cake

1 tb. instant decaf coffee (this punches up the chocolate flavor)

1 tb. hot tap water

1 *. dry oat bran cereal (hot cereal)

3 tb. unsweetened baking cocoa (not a core food; but 0 points for 3 tb. cocoa, according to Food Companion)

2 medium overripe bananas, with lots of black flecks on skin (this is very important, or cake won't taste as good)

1 cup measure like sugar Splenda

3 large eggs

1 tsp. vanilla extract (I use imitation vanilla; cheaper and tastes as good)

In large bowl put coffee granules. Add hot water and stir throughly until dissolved. Combine oat bran with cocoa, stirring thoroughly, until well combined. Set aside. Break up bananas in bowl over coffee. With tines of fork thoroughly mash bananas into coffee until nice and pulpy. Stir in Splenda. Crack in eggs, one at a time and stir with fork until thoroughly mixed. Stir in vanilla. Stir in oat bran-cocoa mixture. Scrape batter into 8" square nonstick pan sprayed with canola oil cooking spray. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven 20 min. Cake will test done in center. Cool. This is best served very cold with a nice glass of nonfat (or soy) milk.

I really like this. LIke I said before, it's no Sara Lee, but satisfies those chocolate cake cravings and is very healthy. If you like your cakes very sweet, experiment with adding more Splenda, but I don't like very sweet cakes. Hope you like it. Sheryl

That should read 1 cup oat bran. I abbreviated and don't know why the "*" didn't print out on the computer. Glitch?

This looks really good Sheryl. I'll definitely be giving it a try. I'm not sure why the "Cee" doesn't print out. I think it's some glitch to do with the program that censors bad words because it happens when people talk about Washington D.*. or A/* for air conditioning.....anything to do with the letter * (cee) LOL.

Thanks for the recipe.

Ann

Ann

SW: 158.6 Dec 2010

G.W. 137

C.W. 125, Dec. 7, 2018

This looks like an excellent breakfast to me! And cocoa is a super food! :bcbsalute This recipe would have binge potential for me, so I'd have to be very, very careful, but looks delish, Sheryl!

---Katie, CEO of Me, Inc & living my new-normal

highest:375(fall '98),5'4"//11-19-08 WW restart:277//current:247//2nd 10%:225//NEXT MINI GOAL:239//goal:150

*He leadeth me.

I'm still following the winning points. just wondering how many points per serving? Thanks.

As written, I am getting 17 points for the entire pan. I am thinking of making it in muffin tins for easier portion control and trying for 8 muffins at 2 points each. HTH!

273.8/266.8/164

restart 1 November 14

This sounds amazing! Thanks so much for posting the recipe!!! :angel :bcbsalute :bcbsalute

Gaining Momentum and losing weight!

Paris, this is what I do. I cut it into 8 pieces and freeze each piece individually in foil. Then I take out 1 piece at a time to eat. This aids in self-control. The cake also freezes very well, I might add.

Some days I do eat two pieces, but I still lose weight eating this, probably because it's all fiber!

Thanks, Sheryl~ :)

Like Katie, this has the potential to trigger me, so I'll have to evaluate it carefully...But the chocolate snack cakes I've eaten before have had sugar/processed flour, so who knows?!shrug.gif

I'll give them a test-drive! :bcbsalute :D

(I'll have it with milk and consider it a limited-choice for the day~)

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile

P.S. My apologies to those for not giving points, but being on Core I don't count points any more. However, for Flex buddies, I will certainly figure out and give you the points for any future recipes! We all count!

Baking powder is not needed - the eggs do the trick.

However, I still get a subscription to a low carb magazine from my foray into low carbing several months ago. There is a good article on Splenda in it, and the article says that to make the best sugar free cakes, always add 1/2 *. nonfat dry milk, and 1/2 tsp. (or is it 1 tsp???) baking soda to each cup Splenda for every cake recipe. Sorry, I'm at work and can't recall the exact amount of baking soda. Will look it up later.

These additions are supposed to make a sugar free cake more "cake-like" I suppose. Next time I'll try it.

The recipe, as given doesn't rise very high. It's a dense, but flavorful cake. Please don't expect it to be very light like a "real" cake, you'll be sorely disappointed.

But my new take on this way of eating is that I'm trying not to compare new food inventions to the "real thing." I want to appreciate these healthy foods for what they are and not pretend they are a professional baker's delight.

That said, I really do enjoy this cake and the other wonderful baked goods supplied by our buddies here!

Paris, this is what I do. I cut it into 8 pieces and freeze each piece individually in foil. Then I take out 1 piece at a time to eat. This aids in self-control. The cake also freezes very well, I might add.

Some days I do eat two pieces, but I still lose weight eating this, probably because it's all fiber!

Excellent! I think I will do the same. With university starting next week, it will be nice to get a healthy snack out of the freezer and eat it on the run.

I need all the help I can get in the fiber department with lack of gall bladder. :embarrass I think this will do the trick nicely.

Frisky --- I made add some baking powder to my batch and see what happens. I am all about the baking powder these days. :lol:

273.8/266.8/164

restart 1 November 14

Paris~ How much baking powder are you going to use in this recipe first try?...

Paris~ How much baking powder are you going to use in this recipe first try?...

I think I'll go with a one teaspoon and see where that leads. I also may sub one of the eggs for 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce in order to cut some of the Splenda because DH is sensitive to Splenda (aftertaste) in baked goods.

273.8/266.8/164

restart 1 November 14

Thanks for the suggestions and Splenda tip. I'm ok with dense, my cornbread muffins are close to being bricks :) I'm doing Core and am being very careful to pay attention to anything that could be a "trigger". I've noticed when spending points for non-core items, if I go over 5 WPA in a day, the next day some of the cravings are back. I'd just as soon not have to deal with that.

Off to scour the pantry for items needed to make this recipe. Got some real nice speckled bananas begging to be mashed for this cake. :):)

MY speckled bananas are in the freezer and begging to be thawed and mashed... ;) :D

This is not to take away from Sheryl's recipe at ALL. It's another Chocolate Cake recipe I printed off WW's boards several days ago. I have not tried it. I cannot vouch for it. But I thought it would be interesting to see and compare: (Hope you don't mind, Sheryl; I'm making YOURS right now! :) )

Chocolate Cake

2 cups oat flour

2 cups Splenda

3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa

1 1/2 tsp. baking soda

1/2 tsp. salt

1/2 package ff/sf vanilla pudding mix

2 eggs

1 TBS. vinegar

1 cup skim milk

1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce

1/2 tsp. vanilla

1/2 cup boiling water

Mix first six ingredients together, then add the next six. Then add the boiling water. Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes.

Anybody want to try making this (or both) and give us your results? :buddysmoo :bcbsalute

Believe me you're not taking anything away! I love to bake, but never claimed to be a baker! We need all the recipes we can get.

However, with this one I would count the points, because oat bran is a core food, but I believe oat flour is a points food, as in the Food Companion.

Someone, please correct me if I'm wrong - this is controversial and I can't get a straight answer out of anyone - is oat flour core or not? Because I don't know, I count the points.

Sheryl's too modest. :buddysmoo

For me and my food needs/likes, I think I'll stick with the Babe's version because the second recipe contains aspartame (in the pudding) and too much Splenda! :eek:

I am hoping to find some bananas tonight so I can make myself a birthday snack cake! :D

273.8/266.8/164

restart 1 November 14