Health Discovery Network
wwbabe

Sheryl's Core Chocolate Snack Cake

Guest GailnGA

My hubby just baked the cake for me. It turned out much better than I thought it would. Some CORE recipes are nasty. The cake smelled good and looks good and from the bite I took it tastes good. I think it will be even better cold. The next time I bake it I'm going to bake it in a 13 x 9 x 2 and bake it till it gets a little crisp. Then I'm going to slice bananas on top of it, then cover them with ff/sf/ banana creme pudding. I could just taste this when I tasted the cake.

Now the dreaded question. I mentioned oat bran on one of the other boards and they almost snapped my head off saying that oat bran is NOT Core. What's the deal with that? Do y'all count it as CORE? Y'all seem to be a lot more liberal when it comes to that new CORE rule. You know...the no bread rule whether the ingredients are all Core or not.

Thanks for the wonderful recipes.

Gail

Gail -- we have determined that on this board, you have to decide for yourself whether a food is Core or not. People have gotten conflicting information from their WW leaders, and arguing about it took us away from our focus, which is helping each other stay OP 24/7.

Nancy

Original SW 175 (1996)

2008 stats: SW 153.6 12/31/07 ~ HW 156.0 09/15/08 ~ CW 153.2 09/22/08 ~ GW 137 ~ PGW 130

My pictures!

"Good food brings good health and longevity." - Chinese fortune cookie

A member at my meeting asked about oat bran and I had just looked it up for her.

In the latest Complete Food Companion, under the category "Food Listed By Brand Name", under Cereal, Hot, then Quaker Oats (page 119) you'll see Oat bran, 1/2 cup checked Core.

Use this information how you see fit. :bcbsalute

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile

Guest GailnGA

Thanks:-) The cake turned out just wonderful!!! I cut it into 16 pieces and put 2 in a sandwich bag. I will eat one a day...two at the most. If I have points to spare I will count the points for it.

My hubby and 12 year old son also like it.

Gail

Guest moonchildokc

I made this today with a slight alteration. I used fructose instead of splenda and added 1/2 cup applesauce sweetened with Splenda. I made some of the sf/ff jello pudding (cheesecake flavor) and after cutting a piece of the cake, I topped it with a blob of this cheesecake pudding. Man, it was GOOD! I'm not sure I like the coffee taste, though. I may try it without the coffee next time.

Guest compact

great recipe. a very satisfying cake -- i ate two pieces and then was so full i couldn't eat lunch, which is not good. made it easy to put the rest in the freezer!

my son likes it too.

i'm very sensitive to caffeine (even the trace amount in decaf! even the cocoa powder can keep me awake) so I put in a tsp of rum essence and it was great.

my only reservation is the splenda. i only used half a cup but still not thrilled with the taste. if i used apple sauce, should i increase the dry ingredients? has anyone made the cake without splenda?

thanks for this recipe, it was a real treat to make it today. i like this better than 'real' cake.

compact

Try fructose, Compact! It looks and measures like granulated sugar; it's Core. I found mine in the sugar section. Sometimes it's in the "diet" section or "diabetic" or "sugar-free" section of the grocery store. I've found it in envelopes (brand: Estee) AND in the bulk bins (a LOT cheaper~)

Use use less than sugar if you're using it "cold", and if you're going to "bake" with it, you use about the same amount as sugar~

I just used 2 TBS. in my Baked Oatmeal (instead of 3 Splenda packets) with excellent results~ :) :bcbsalute

Guest compact

thanks Carol, I'll try it!

had a slice of the cake for breakfast this morning. My dear son was asking me to make make another one already (even before we've eaten the last -- I think he's saying that this should become a house staple) -- will have to go scouting for big, ripe bananas. I like him eating it, it's good food (especially with all that fiber), but not if he's going to eat it all!

compact

Sheryl,

Not to be obtuse, but do you mean to call for a Tablespoon of the crystals of coffee or the actual liquid that has already been brewed?

"If Wile E. Coyote had enough money to buy all that Acme crap, why didn't he just buy dinner?"

My pics

Sheryl,

Not to be obtuse, but do you mean to call for a Tablespoon of the crystals of coffee or the actual liquid that has already been brewed?

She means the crystals. :)

I use espresso crystals. :) :bcbsalute

Little jar with a green lid found in the coffee section.

WWCarol and Suzabelle - It's been a long time, but did either of you come up with a version of this that didn't have the bananas in it? What recipe did you use and how did it taste? TIA!

189.8 :bcb_yuck: /140/140 /pg135

Maintaining since 5/18/06 :bcbkickbu

Nope, I didn't. :)

But have you tried the Chocolate Brownies on this forum? I haven't (because I can't have aspartame in the SF/FF pudding), but that looks like a version of this cake (without bananas).

Have you checked that out yet?............. :D

Made these tonight. Good (I am actually realizing I PREFER Core baked goods sometimes, they are so filling!) but I am not crazy about the banana taste. Its a little overpowering for me. I think next week, I am gonna try subbing in FF yogurt, and see how that works. I'll report :bcbsalute

Lifetime as of November 21, 2005 & getting back to goal!

HW - 185

GW - 145

CW - 158

Allright, tonight I made these with 1 c. ff plain yogurt instead of with any kind of pureed fruit. They are great! A little bit of a different taste, but I like them a lot. Reminds me of No-Pudge :D

HW - 185

GW - 145

CW - 158

Guest sodacracker

try applesause instead of the bananas. :)

I bought only 2 bananas at the store today just to get them nice and ripe for this cake!!! If I love it, I am going to make it on the 4th of july with blueberries, strawberries, and so white topping (either plain yogurt or a white sf/ff pudding) to make my own "flag cake."

I am not defined by the number, but how healthy my body is!

2 teach is 2 touch 4 ever

~*Nicole*~

bumpsters!

HW - 185

GW - 145

CW - 158

I made this yesterday and loved it! So light and fluffy. I went a bit overboard with the cocoa (we just bought organic non-dutched natural unsweetened cocoa and it's heavenly) so it's too chocolatey for my husband, but they're heavenly for me. I used 1 banana and 1 cup of unsweetnened applesauce, and fructose as sweetener. Next time I'll do all applesauce since I could still taste the banana. I was a bit leery when the recipe didn't call for milk, but they're superb. I made mine in cupcake paper cups (12) and they peeled off right away.

SW: 185.8

WWGW: 168

CW: 159.5

PGW: 147

The exception may prove the rule, but what proves the exception? “It is not that such things are possible,” the camel thinks, smiling. “But such things are possible for me.”

Bumping Up

Original SW: 149

New SW (11/8/10): 138

CW: 132

GW: 125

:work_out:

"You were once wild here - don't let them tame you." - Isadora Duncan

WWCarol and Suzabelle - It's been a long time, but did either of you come up with a version of this that didn't have the bananas in it? What recipe did you use and how did it taste? TIA!

Yep! Here it is!

Warning: 1 piece will fill you up for a long long time! :)

This "Chocolate Cake" recipe came from playing with: Lynn's Chocolate Baked Oatmeal, my Baked Oatmeal, Sheryls' Chocolate Snackin' Cake, and the Brownie recipes...Here goes!

"CHOCOLATE CAKE"

Servings: 8-16 (I can't eat 1/8th anymore...!)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. (I use a small toaster/convection oven.)

Line an 8X8" pan with Reynold's Non-Stick aluminum foil or spray with non-stick spray.

In one bowl, stir:

2 Cups oat bran

1 1/2 tsp. baking powder (Rumford, aluminum-free, is good)

1 tsp. baking soda

Package of chocolate pudding mix, small (I used regular, but use FF/SF for all-CORE)

1/4 Cup of cocoa, unsweetened

3 Splenda packets (you may want yours sweeter)

Pinch of salt

In another bowl, mix:

3 eggs, beaten

1 tsp. vanilla

1 Cup FF milk

1/2 C. applesauce, unsweetened (I use a 4 oz. pre-portioned container)

1 TBS. instant espresso coffee crystals

Add liquid bowl into dry bowl, mix quickly and pour into pan; put pan into oven for 25 minutes (or until sides of cake have pulled away from pan; cracks may appear on top). COOL.

Note: I've tried this "warm" and it was excellent. :) Great the next day, cold.

Let me know what you think! :)

just tried this. I used cream of wheat because it's the only hot cereal other than real oats that I had. Also I used stevia as a sweetener. I did use the dry milk and baking soda. (mostly because stevia is so sweet that I only used about 2 tblspoons., so I had to make up the bulk with something.) It actually turned out quite cakey. dense, but cakey.

SW 165

CW 140

reached goal and staying there!!

Hmmmm ... I might have to check out a variation of this the next time I have a chocolate craving. :-) Thanks!!