Health Discovery Network
Guest MsLongIsland

Leader says Core Banana Muffins not Core

Guest MsLongIsland

Today i told my WW leader about the Core Banana Muffin recipe and she said because of the Fibre One it is not a core recipe. Is it or isnt it according to your leaders. After eating about 6 of them in 2 days, I did manage to lose 2 1/2# this week. And i have to report that they are delicious!!:bcbsalute

Guest jfboots

sorry, but they are not CORE. Muffins are not on the list of CORE foods.

:confused:

I made a batch of corn muffins only to find out from my leader they are not CORE.

SORRY!!

Norma

I see it like this ...

oatmeal is core

bananas are core

unsweetened applesauce is core

eggs are core

oatbran is core

water is core

skim milk is core

skim milk with lemon juice or vinegar to make nonfat buttermilk is core

Eat any of them one at a time and it's CORE. Put them in a bowl, bake them, it's still a "no count food" on the Core Plan.

A slice of any store bought bread is not Core. A slice of "oatbread" made entirely from Core foods is not listed in the book as a Core food. However, the fact remains every item you put in that baked whatever using all core foods is still a no count food following the Core Plan.

I just don't understand why this discussion continues to take place. I simply don't get it. Maybe someone can help me understand why the controversy persists?

While not having an opportunity to read all threads the past week since I'm out traveling around the countryside, the consensus at BCB appears to be that each of us will be responsible and sensitive to our own bodies with regard to Core foods and the recipes we concoct using core ingredients and will decide for ourselves if it's a trigger food for us personally.

I dunno. Maybe this whole thing was laid to rest in other threads, if it has, then excuse my ramblings but I still don't get it for what the whole big deal is over baked oatmeal or a snack cake when it's entirely Core ingredients. The end result won't be marked in the food companion as "Core" but it still is a "no count" item on Core when you look at the ingredients involved in making it.

:bcbsalute

Guest MsLongIsland

Sorry, Skruggie, I am 11 days into WW and The Core program and i didnt know there were controversies. I am only trying to do the right thing.

jfboot, I understand that muffins are not on the core list but i also understand that if all ingredients in ANYTHING are core the final result has to be core, muffin or not.

Frisky the one ingredient that you didnt list was Fibre One cereal that seems not to be on the list. I dont mind counting points for that if need be but have read that Fibre One is going to be put on the revised core list. That will take care of t hat. I totally agree that each person has to take responsibility for themselves.

Sorry if i, a newbie, touched on a sensitive subject.:bcbsalute

MsLongIsland, you had no way of knowing how controversial this subject is right now. :D So thanks for your post. :bcbsalute However, there has been a change in the Core foods, and Fiber One IS a Core food now, per my leader who posted updates in our meeting room last week. So no need to worry about Fiber One....as it stands now. :D

Frisky, the issue has not been laid to rest yet because different members and leaders are getting conflicting information from their regions and from HQ (the toll-free number). Apparently, there are a lot of bugs in the Core program as it was introduced, and heaven knows what is going on right now. I believe that the consensus of opinion here at BCB is that you must make some personal decisions about having "trigger foods" in your diet. My take on it (for myself) is this: if I make foods that are from Core ingredients, but are not considered Core foods (which is bread in any form, apparently), then I need to realize that the prime reason (apparently) that WW has said that bread is not a Core food is because of it's trigger potential. I, therefore, need to see if it is a trigger food for me (which it can be) and remove it from my diet. That's the best that I can do at this time. :bcbsalute

---Katie, CEO of Me, Inc & living my new-normal

highest:375(fall '98),5'4"//11-19-08 WW restart:277//current:247//2nd 10%:225//NEXT MINI GOAL:239//goal:150

*He leadeth me.

Guest MsLongIsland

Thanks, Katie, you are a great help. I am going to continue to consider that recipe as Core and tell my leader so. In fact, my meeting was today and my SIL goes on WEd. and I will have her pass it on to our leader. It is too back that all leaders dont get the same info at the same time.

I, too have trigger foods and right now I am hungry and anything edible could be trigger for me.

I need to realize that the prime reason (apparently) that WW has said that bread is not a Core food is because of it's trigger potential.

Well put, Katie.

We also need to realize that even if bread is a trigger for us, these Core baked products may not be! :eek: :D

I think we are being very generous in calling these baked products: bread, cake, scones, cornbread, dumplings, etc. :angel ;)

Someone else might call them "hockey pucks". :kiss: ;)

And if "hockey pucks" are a trigger for you, you need to limit or restrict them. :D :bcbsalute

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile

Carol, :lol:

MrsLongIsland, even though the Fiber One IS a Core cereal, the muffins/breads are still not, from all we can determine at this time, "Core foods." But, from the way I take it, we can still eat them IF they are not trigger foods for us.

So, your leader is apparently right on that, as it is not the intent of the Core program that we make muffins, breads, and baked goods from Core ingredients. But if you do so, you need to use personal responbility in determining if these foods are triggers for you, and then not make them. Again, maybe Weight Watchers will give us clearer instructions about Core in the future, but that is the way that I am interpreting all that I've seen and heard so far. :bcbsalute

highest:375(fall '98),5'4"//11-19-08 WW restart:277//current:247//2nd 10%:225//NEXT MINI GOAL:239//goal:150

*He leadeth me.

Thanks, Ladies. Will check for Newbie status before scratching various body parts in the future wondering why. :) Never even thought about that today when I posted.

Meanwhile, sure wish some of the food finds and recipe ingredients were accessible here in North Carolina. Can't find wheat bran, no oat bran, no light English muffins either. *sigh*

But, corn meal is plentiful along with unsweetened applesauce to make (whispering) "corn bread" while doing Core to go with that big ol pot of red beans and rice on the stove. :):)

MsLongIsland, welcome to BCB. I sure didn't mean to make you feel badly for asking any questions if I did. Also, I was tossing out ingredients not recounting your particular recipe as an example is all. :)

Frisky, I live just above the NC border and you can find all kinds of stuff at Whole Foods in Winston-Salem and at Fresh Market in Greensboro--not sure where you're located. :bcbsalute

*He leadeth me.

Littleton, NC. It's an itty bitty lakeside town. Best store they have is a Piggly Wiggly and it's hardly worth shopping. No Whole Foods or anything around here. Wal-Mart has some stuff over in Roanoke Rapids. Headed back to Texas next week. I'll survive. :)

Well, nice having you so close for a while anyway!! Have a nice trip home! :)

*He leadeth me.

Guest MsLongIsland

Oh Frisky, you didnt hurt my feelings, but thanks for caring. I just didnt know about all of the controversy. I have had a difficult time with Core when i am away from home and have lots of ?? then i find a wonderful recipe and my leader says it isnt core. Then i hear things are changing and and it is core. Believe me, I am also scratching various body parts. On the good side, I am losing wt. and that is the bottom line, right?????

Guest girlinmotion

I do have a caution regarding the banana muffins and the core food plan.

The core foods list says that cereals including 100% bran cereals (like Fiber One) are limited to one meal a day and must be eaten with milk or yogourt.

The issue of whether the muffins are core at all, is still up in the air. I agree that information has been conflicting. The buddies suggestions above are excellent. You need to be honest with yourself. If it is trigger food or a food that will cause you to eat out of your comfort zone, I would suggest that it should not be part of your personal core eating plan.

That said, if you do choose to use the recipe, you would only be permitted to eat the muffins at one meal per day. And you could not have cold cereal at another meal that day. The muffins would be considered your cold cereal with milk for that day. If you wanted to have some cold cereal or one of the muffins at a second meal/snack that day you'd need to use your points allowance.

I hope that helps.

You are allowed to eat them more than once per day, but must count the Points (2) and deduct them from the 35 WAPs. The only difference in "Core vs Non-Core" is whether the food has to be counted. BTW, Carol's muffins DO contain skim milk, so they meet the cereal with milk requirement.

(Momma25) Momma to five

http://www.realfoodliving.com

In remission from Acute Leukemia

Diabetic, low GI and no FRANKENFOODS!

218/in-between/125

HI Ladies,

I understand that it is human nature to want to figure out ways to eat the things we want in unlimited quantities, but that is what got us into this shape in the first place.

The key words here, are TRIGGER FOODS. When I make muffins, I want to eat six. All six. They are trigger foods for me. So when I find myself rationalizing the use of core foods to make something that is not a core food, I know that I am putting my weight loss at risk.

On the other hand, tortillas are not Core, but not a trigger for me. When I reach maintenance, I am planning to eat them in place of whole wheat pasta, or other carbs, but for now, I am counting points to be able to eat what I want.

If we remember that the definition of Core foods is not just the content, but the Trigger quality of them, it makes it easier to accept.

Good Luck

La Libre

Soya

5'2"

SW 156.3

Lifetime Oct 2004 137

CW (around 134)

PGW 124-128

I guess when it comes down to nutrition, or weight, with w.w., weight loss wins. It is funny when you think a very very healthy food such as oat bran or oat meal baked is not core, but sf ff puddings and other foods that are fat free, are core. hmm. After saying this I can see where w.w. is coming from.

Mary8

<BR>

The key words here, are TRIGGER FOODS. When I make muffins, I want to eat six. All six. They are trigger foods for me.

La Libre, the key words you wrote are "FOR ME". This is something that we need to understand, not everyone's triggers are the same. I am not triggered by muffins. I won't eat all six. Ever. But, someone mentioned in another Core post that they won't overeat quinoa which IS a Core food. I will overeat quinoa, so for me, it is not a Core food, it is a trigger food. That's how adults handle their weight loss, they identify what foods are a trigger FOR THEM and control the food.

This is the one big problem I have with Core, telling me a food is not Core because someone else may overeat it. That's great for them, but I know what my triggers are and they are not the same as someone else's.

(Momma25) Momma to five

218/in-between/125

The problem I have with all this is that if I could judge for myself what works and what doesn't I wouldn't be here. But I don't have those answers so I've turned to WW. I have to take the program they offer and work it as they recommend. It's been my experience that whenever I try to "adjust" or "tweak" the program to fit my desires, that is when I falter and my weight loss drops off. If I follow the program without alterations, I'm more successful. It's unfortunate that the literature that was offered isn't as clear or precise as we'd like, but I'd rather err on the side of less than more. If that means I can't make or "bake" a questionable recipe, then that's what I must do if I am to be successful at my weight loss endeavor. That, afterall, is why I turned to WW to begin with.

"you gotta wanna"

weight.png

Sameboat,

I understand where you're coming from, but I personally disagree. The problem is that Core is not clear and consistent "as written". In the Getting Started Book, it states that if you take all Core foods and make a dish from them, it is CORE. (So, I AM following it "as written") Now, the rumors are that some Core foods are not Core because some people may overeat them! Sorry, I'm not "some people" and I resent being treated as if I don't know my own trigger foods.

I am not overweight because I don't know my body or what works. I am overweight because of poor choices that I am fully aware of. I know what works and how to work it, but it's up to ME to work it. That's why I turned to WW, to help me to do that. However, the Core program is inconsistent and doesn't make the nutritional and scientific sense that previous WW plans do, it is difficult to comprehend. As written, Core baked goods are Core if made up of all Core foods.

As for "tweaking" the program to fit my needs, that is ESSENTIAL, IMHO, if I want to find a plan that works for life. It has to be mine (not someone else's) for it work for ME. WW has always encouraged us to work the program according to our own needs and preferences. Always. Until Core.

Just my humble opinion, your mileage may vary.

(Momma25) Momma to five

218/in-between/125

You rock, Momma!! :strong:

Jeannette

"I have searched for the phrase "I shall walk the Earth and my hunger will know no bounds", but I keep getting redirected to Weight Watchers." Ianto Jones, Torchwood

You are absolutely right, sameboat. That has been my experience as well. Everytime there is a change in the plan, I fight it tooth and nail, thinking I know better and what works for me. Eventually, I try it "their" way and darnit all if they haven't been right every time! The corrections are not rumors in my area. The leaders got the information this week. They aren't passing out the information to members because as one leader said "there's maybe 1 person per meeting doing core, its not worth the trouble"

There are many things that are not on the core list that I'd never over eat. The splenda sweetened yogurt for instance. I could never over eat that, but it's still not a core food. I would never eat or over eat a ribeye, but that doesn't make it a core food either. And I don't really care for chocolate, but I doubt that they'll make it a core food. While several of the core foods like couscous and the 94% FF popcorn I could and did easily overeat on core. Trigger potential is not the only criteria for a core food.

I also don't understand if they taste like hockeypucks, why would you want to eat them anyways? And if they taste good, you can count the points.

Are you referring to my "hockeypuck" humor, Bskc?

I think we are being very generous in calling these baked products: bread, cake, scones, cornbread, dumplings, etc. :angel ;)

Someone else might call them "hockey pucks". :kiss: ;)

See the "winks"? ;)

My hockey-pucks taste wonderful (to me), thank you! And my DH thinks so, too~ :D

I've been making sure I have Core baked products available every day for my family. And I make them because they are healthy choices made with entirely healthy ingredients. :bcbsalute

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile

Bskc,

Bottom line, if'n you don't want to eat what we consider Core baked goods, no one is forcing you to. :bcbsalute

As for the "rumors", WW has not released "official" changes to the membership, for whatever reasons.

"there's maybe 1 person per meeting doing core, its not worth the trouble"

Not worth the trouble? Really? If this information is so important to Core, why wouldn't it be important and worth the trouble to get the word out? If it's not worth the trouble, it's obviously not that important. AND, the information has STILL not gotten to some areas and not being given to members in areas where the leaders have gotten it! That tells me again, that it's not that important. If it were, WW would certainly get it to the paying membership.

And, as it has been stated repeatedly, the official Core materials (Week One) booklet states that if you put Core foods together, the end result is Core. So, that is how it's written - and that's how I am reading it.

Would you please consider giving this debate a rest? It's been argued in several threads in multiple forums and it's really getting worn and counterproductive to the spirit and support of BCB.

(Momma25) Momma to five

218/in-between/125