Health Discovery Network
Guest Suzabelle

Question about Soy Milk

Guest Suzabelle

Hi!

I have never had soy milk and would like to try it. Could you let me know which brands you like and might recommend?

I know I'm taking the somewhat lazy way out with this question but I tried to look for all relevant posts and it was just too annoying trying to drill down to find exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks for your help!

Suzanne

All I can tell you is that I didn't like soy milk when I tried it but now prefer it over lactaid. I used to prefer lactaid but now find it disgusting.

There was a thread awhile back about acquiring tastes and an article that you can get used to anything. Some people train themselves to like skim milk over whole milk. I'm sure the same thing applies to soy milk.

Debbie B.

Guest judyo53

Instead of scrolling to find a post try the search link above.

Guest Suzabelle

Thanks for the tip Debbie. I'll try to give it a good chance!

Judy, thanks, I'll keep looking. Found one but they're not easy to find with the search.

I saw some at the store today, Silk brand. One was labeled Plain, the other Unsweetened. There didn't appear to be alot of differnce between the two. Any other 'tips' would be appreciated. Maybe I'll just have to go buy one and try it!

Thanks, Suzanne

Hi Suzanne,

Different brands have different tastes. Some people like Silk, others like other brands. I make my own and use it unsweetened, Westsoy has an unsweetened that is very good, but you can add sweetener and vanilla to it if you like.

(Momma25) Momma to five

http://www.realfoodliving.com

In remission from Acute Leukemia

Diabetic, low GI and no FRANKENFOODS!

218/in-between/125

Guest Suzabelle

Thanks for the info Momma, that helps!

Suzanne

I use Westsoy nonfat soymilk in the vanilla flavor. I don't really like to drink it but it's okay in cereal. I also use it when I make muffins with the Southaven Farms mixes. My sister uses Silk and thinks it's good too. Good luck on your quest!

Guest Suzabelle

Thanks Straight! Much appreciated! Suzanne

Guest GirlFriday

Ok, y'all - I have the dumb question of the day!!! What is the purpose for drinking soy milk, other than adding soy to your diet? The reason I ask is because, as I have aged :ugh: , I've become rather lactose intolerant (or, to put it more bluntly, when I have regular milk, I become rather intolerant to be around! :o). Yogurt and smaller portions of cheese aren't a problem, but I can't do regular milk anymore. I recently started buying FF lactose-free milk and have it with a squirt of SF chocolate syrup as an evening snack (great for before bedtime!). It gives me NO problems and I do like the taste. But I've wondered - as I stand in the dairy aisle, pondering the milk cartons - if soy milk is also lactose free and could I have that and get the added benefit of adding soy protein to my diet? And can you buy it in a FF version?? Any ideas?

Thanks!

Mary

HI Mary,

Yes, soymilk is lactose free.

For ALL the reasons you mentioned, soy milk is a good food. I have the same problems with milk (tolerating it) even though I can have small amts of yogurt and cheese (very small amt), but milk kills me.

Soy is a good thing for pre, peri and menopausal women and has been shown to be beneficial to help women fight breast cancer. Soy can help with hot flashes and other wonderful hormonal issues that we "seasoned" women can experience.

Yes, you can buy fat-free soymilk, but regular soymilk (unsweetened) is Core and I am a big supporter of including natural fats (especially on Core) for health.

My personal note is that soy products can be genetically modified and I personally avoid GMO soy, by buying only organic or Non-GMO soy.

Give it a try, soy is wonderful!

(Momma25) Momma to five

http://www.realfoodliving.com

In remission from Acute Leukemia

Diabetic, low GI and no FRANKENFOODS!

218/in-between/125