Health Discovery Network
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Stac30781

Frozen Fruit Question

Guest Stac30781

Yesterday I bought a bag of frozen fruit since I tend to not eat fresh fruit right away and actually liked the taste of the frozen.

There is 1 point per 3/4 cup of the frozen fruit.

I want a full cup rather than 3/4 of one...A- how many points would this then be, 1.5? B- should I measure it in a measuring cup or on the scale? and C- if on the scale, what would the weight be for one cup of frozen fruit?

THANKS!!!

Guest Kelly_S

It really depends on total cal/fat/fiber for the fruit. Usually fruit is only 1 point per cup. Even if 3/4 cup is 1 point the 1 cup is probably only 1 point also. What is the total cal/fat/fiber (even if you list it for the 3/4 cup serving).

Guest Stac30781

Ok I know the frozen fruit is 1 pt for 3/4 cup...would you suggest measuring that in a cup measure or on the scale ? And if I do it on the scale...how many ounces is that?

Guest Kelly_S

Stacy, it would depend on what factors on the weight it would be on a scale. If you want a 1 cup serving use a 1 cup measure and measure it out but you will still need to figure the points based on total cal/fat/fiber for 1 cup.

Take the cal/fat/fiber for the 3/4 cup serving and divide by 3. To get the cal/fat/fiber for 1 cup multiply that result by 4 and then figure points.

Your package should say on the nutritional info how many grams a serving weighs. It should say something like serving size 3/4 cup (130g)

Divide the grams by 28.35 to get the ounces.

130/28.35 = 4.58 Not too hard if you have a calculator handy.

Your measurements will be much more accurate with a scale than with a measuring cup.

HTH

Joanne

SW 252.6/WWG 157/2013 Restart 192.6:bcb_huh:/CW189

Guest Stac30781

I just saw that I wrote down your conversion earlier and was going to post that. You had so kindly already told me the conversion. Thanks!!!

If 3/4 cup is 1 point...I am totally confused when it comes to figuring out the points for 1 cup...I figure though that the difference from 3/4 to 1 cup would most likely be about .5 of a point and instead of figuring that out, I just take the fruit as 2 points to play it safe.

I am TOTALLY lost when you start with the multiplying etc so I just take it as 2 points for the cup which I can now measure on the scale in ounces and figure its better to overestimate.

Guest Kelly_S

Stacey,

99% of the time 1 cup of fruit is 1 point.

Give me the calories/fat/fiber for the 3/4 cup serving and I'll figure it and show you how I got it.

It really is simple math.

4 quarters in 1 whole

so in 3/4 cup serving you have 3 quarters out of 4. Divide the cal/fat/fiber by 3. Take that answer and add it to the amount for the 3/4 cup serving and you'll have your total cal/fat/fiber for 1 cup.

Or like I do divide cal/fat/fiber by 3 and multiply that answer by 4.

Guest Stac30781

I get the thought behind the process- I can think literally like that...but once I start messing with the numbers, I forget/get confused with what I am doing...

Here is the information for the fruit- Once I know how to do it once, I'll be fine. I plan to measure it out on the scale converting the grams to ounces or just measuring it out in a cup. Either way here's the info and thanks again!!!

3/4 cup (140g)

Cal-60

Fat-2

Fiber-3

Here's what Kelly means about 1 cup still being one point:

3/4 cup

Calories 60

Fat 2

Fiber 3

Points 0.8

Rounds to 1 Point

1 cup

Calories 80 ((60/3)*4)

Fat 2.6 ((2/3)*4)

Fiber 4 ((4/3)*4)

Points 1.0

Rounds to 1 Point

140 grams divided by 3 then times 4 = 187 grams in a cup of this fruit

187 grams divided by 28.35 = 6.5 oz in a cup of this fruit

Joanne

SW 252.6/WWG 157/2013 Restart 192.6:bcb_huh:/CW189

Guest Stac30781

Can you correct my math...

I got 80 cal, 2.8 fat and 4 for fiber in a cup.

I divided each by 3 and multiplied by 4.

Guest Stac30781

See- I totally cannot do Math!!! I was way off... why do you multiply in order to find the ounces from the grams???

Guest Stac30781

Im just using all your math and now I never need to ask about that again, LOL.

Why does 6.5 on the scale look like a lot more than what's in a cup???

Guest Kelly_S
Can you correct my math...

I got 80 cal, 2.8 fat and 4 for fiber in a cup.

I divided each by 3 and multiplied by 4.

You math was not far off.

Here is what I did:

60/3 = 20 (calories)

2/3 = .7 (fat grams)

3/3 = 1 (fiber grams)

Calories = 60 + 20 = 80 total calories for 1 cup

Fat grams = 2+0.7 = 2.7 total fat for 1 cup

Fiber grams = 3+1 = 4 total fiber for 1 cup

See you were not off and that .1 isn't going to make or break a point.

Guest Stac30781

Oh wow- okay...I suprised myself there then. I got it...easy enough. Divide by 3 multiply by 4. Not hard to remember.

Thank you so much.

And you do the same for figuring out the ounces too...which is great.

AWESOME DISCOVERY!!!

THANKS!

Guest Kelly_S

Stacey, remember that is only if you have a serving size that is in quarters. If you have a 2/3 cup thing then it is divide it by 2 and multiply by 3 (3 parts to 1 whole).

Guest Stac30781

You basically do it by the fraction right? 3/4 divide by 3 multiply by 4....2/3 divide by 2 mutiply by 3....

It's like a set formula almost correct?

Now at least I can buy cereal again that's measured in 3/4.