Health Discovery Network
WWCarol

Baked Oatmeal

This is my Latest And Greatest version...! I'll add any "tweaks" as I discover them~ :bcbsalute

This is a fun recipe because you can be creative! :)

WWCarol's Baked Oatmeal (This is Core for me~)

Servings: Usually 4 (or smaller, depending on "hunger level"~)

Mix:

1 cup oatmeal, quick (mine's "toasted")

1 cup oat bran (this is a "hot cereal" which can be found in bulk bins, or packaged near other hot cereals or the baking aisle)

1 1/2 tsp. baking powder

1 tsp. baking soda

Dash salt

Blend:

2 whole eggs

1/2 cup FF plain yogurt

1 cup FF evaporated milk

1/2 cup applesauce, unsweetened

1 tsp. cinammon

1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice

1/2 tsp. nutmeg (preferably freshly ground)

2 Splenda packets

1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees (mine is convection).

Spray 8X8" glass pan with non-stick spray (I use Mazola "Canola and Sunflower Oil" spray), OR line with Reynold's non-stick aluminum foil.

Combine first ingredients.

Hand-blend all additional ingredients.

Add wet ingredients to dry, stir, and put into pan and into oven immediately.

Cook for 25-30 minutes, OR until top is golden brown and oatmeal feels "firm" to the touch.

Cool for a few minutes and then turn out of the pan onto a cooling rack. Serve warm or cold. This is "portable". Wrap in waxed paper, and you can eat it on-the-go!

Serve hot or cold (or "toasted").

Optional: You can add nuts and dried fruits, and count the additional points.

[For Flex: Points for 1 serving baked oatmeal: 4.4 w/ FF evaporated milk; 3.9 w/skim or 1% milk~ pointed for me by Paris~ Thanks, Paris.]

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile

Carol,

I just made a fresh pan of baked oatmeal today, so I am set for a few days. Next time, I will add pumpkin pie spice though. What a great addition. I use it also for French Toast when I make it for the family.

You are so right. You can add so many things to this recipe. This time of the year chopped apple sounds like another thing great to use.

Carmen

The Lady in Green

"Nothing is particulary hard if you divide it into small parts." -Henry Ford-

I was thinking the same thing, Carmen! :)

I have a Pennsylvania Dutch Baked Oatmeal on the Breakfast Forum, that (aside from dried fruits which are not Core) has a finely chopped apple and a finely chopped pear in it~ :bcbsalute

Guest KrisD

Carol...

your baked oatmeal gets me started every morning!

I have a new batch today, ran out of vanilla extract and had to use a vanilla bean. Shucky-darn!

Also, I use Penzys Cake Spice in lieu of other spices. It's quicker and the spices give a "sweet" note.

-Kris

Carol, I just noticed this, and I'm dying to try it - I wish I could have oatmeal more than once a day!

Things I'm Most Looking Forward To:

No more back fat!

More E-N-E-R-G-Y!

Buying stylish, not oversized clothes

Packing smaller clothes

Living long enough to see my grandchildren grow up

Having a stable wardrobe

Ability to handle cravings

The END of binging!

A healthier me!

Mardee, Did I miss something? Why can't you have oatmeal more than once a day? My book says just the cold cereals are limited to once meal per day.

Joanne

SW 252.6/WWG 157/2013 Restart 192.6:bcb_huh:/CW189

ok, ladies is this sweet? I like sweet morning food. So,just wandering. LEt me know, please. I am a tweeker but am in a time crunch to get ready for camp, and am looking for something I can make to take with me to eat myself everymorning. They will have the option of oatmeal for me, but I don't do well eating just a bowl of oatmeal, I peater out early in the am that way. SO, just please someone drop a line and let me know. THANKS!

MrsD

I make a choice to choose the JOY of the LORD today...and tomorrow...and to make each day count for HIM.

start weight 174

current weight 161

recommittment loss 3 pounds

Does anyone know how many pts. per serving this is?

Thanks,

Nancy

SW 166

CW 166

GW 135

Hght. 5'3

9-23-07

if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'move from here to there' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you Matt. 17:20.

Forgive my question....what is oat bran? I'm really knew to all these fibers and grains etc.

04/02/07 - 200 pounds

Goal - 140 by 12/31/07

Guest iamacorebie

This was delicious! I used it for breakfast or snack.

Forgive my question....what is oat bran? I'm really knew to all these fibers and grains etc.

It's the bran from the oat groat (whole oat berry). Looks like light confetti. :)

You can find it in the hot cereal section. I can find it in bulk bins, and it is packaged and found near hot cereals or the baking aisle. :) :bcbsalute

Does anyone know how many pts. per serving this is?

Thanks,

Nancy

I edited the recipe and added the points, Nancy~ :) :bcbsalute

ok, ladies is this sweet? I like sweet morning food. So,just wandering. LEt me know, please. I am a tweeker but am in a time crunch to get ready for camp, and am looking for something I can make to take with me to eat myself everymorning. They will have the option of oatmeal for me, but I don't do well eating just a bowl of oatmeal, I peater out early in the am that way. SO, just please someone drop a line and let me know. THANKS!

MrsD

Yes, the Splenda makes it sweet. My DH is in LOVE with this stuff. I forgot the FF plain yogurt yesterday and he loved it even MORE...! LOL. He said it reminded him more of "cake" or an "oatmeal bar".

I think it's worth the risk, Mrs. D. Lots and lots of people consider their Baked Oatmeal a Core "staple"! :bcbsalute :)

Perhaps it's just me or my oven, but when I made this last night, all I ended up with was a spiced fiber puck. I love all the ingredients so there isn't a reason not to like this but....it was awful. I tried it straight out of the oven...yuck...tried topping it with ff cool whip, yuck....tried it cold this morning....double yuck.

Any thoughts on what I could have done wrong? I don't think I over cooked it...I started checking it at 20 minutes...recipe said 25-30 minutes.

I really want to like this, sounds like the perfect breakfast standby.

Thanks.

04/02/07 - 200 pounds

Goal - 140 by 12/31/07

All I can suggest is: try a different recipe. There's a million out there...! :) Then you can decide whether you don't like Baked Oatmeal, or just this recipe in particular. :bcbsalute

Emily's Mom:

I"m not on CORE, and haven't tried this particular recipe ... but i will tell you that i LOVE baked oatmeal! I use the PA Dutch baked oatmeal regularly, and have conconcted a Berry oatmeal recipe that is on the breakfast forums as well that is out of this world!

Mine never comes out like a hockey puck! It is "formed." The PA Dutch recipe is moister, as it uses a lot more liquid in it. The Berry one is firmer, more like a cake. I use cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves ... and various SF DV syrups (cinnamon, caramel, raspberry). It is sweet enough for me, esp with the fruit in there.

I literally have one for BK each workday ... it is great!

quotation-open.png Success is the sum of small efforts repeated day in and day out. quotation-close.png

Barb A

BarbA: Thanks for the info. I'm having trouble locating the recipe you mentioned. Will you send me the link or some directions for finding the link..or e-mail me the recipe you use? I really want to like this. I may just need to doctor the original recipe to my liking. Thanks.

Stacey

04/02/07 - 200 pounds

Goal - 140 by 12/31/07

I couldn't find a link to your email or to PM you from your profile, so here are the links to the recipes i use. Not trying to hijack the thread! Again, i don't do core, so i don't know if they "fit" Core program (the one with the raisins wouldn't) or not. But i *love* these two recipes.

Berry Baked Oatmeal

http://www.healthdiscovery.net/forums/showthread.php?t=110787&highlight=baked+oatmeal

PA Dutch Baked Oatmeal

http://www.healthdiscovery.net/forums/showthread.php?t=109693&highlight=baked+oatmeal

quotation-open.png Success is the sum of small efforts repeated day in and day out. quotation-close.png

Barb A

This was the most amazing breakfast - so satisfying; so tasty - and so versatile. Thank you son much.

B.