Health Discovery Network
Meffy

Hummus

This is one of my fave things to snack on - but is it core???

I thought that garbanzo beans are core so if I make my own with just a little oil and garlic in the processor would that be core???

Just wondering-

Thanks

"Go Confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you imagined."-Thoreau

SW-155.6/CW-152.0/WWGW-??/PGW-120

i got this great recipe off of allrecipes.com. it was submitted by donalyn and was given 5 stars (the highest) by 24 peeps. i've made it myself and it's very good and totally core......(cumin is core, right?)

• 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained, liquid reserved
  • 1 clove garlic, crushed
  • 2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil

In a blender or food processor combine garbanzo beans, garlic, cumin, salt and olive oil. Blend on low speed, gradually adding reserved bean liquid, until desired consistency is achieved.

and you can add some cayanne pepper, black pepper, and/or lemon juice to jazz it up. hope this helps!!

If not now, when?

www.ginacraig.com

I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with saints. (Billy Joel)

Guest Suzabelle

This sounds very good! But I have a 'duh' question - what do you do with hummus? Is it pretty much a dip and for putting on crackers etc?

Thanks, Suzanne

I love to put hummus on crackers, make a sandwich out of it etc....

But now for core Ill use it just on veggies as a dip. Try it , its goooood!

"Go Confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you imagined."-Thoreau

SW-155.6/CW-152.0/WWGW-??/PGW-120

Food of the gods! Dip tiny pretzels in it! Make a toasted bagel, hummus, veggie sandwich!

5'2" SW-144.0 CW-136 GW-129.0

Original hummus is not Core. It contains sesame paste and sesame oil. However it is easy to make hummus that is lower in Points and Core.

There is a web site somewhere (someone will find it) that has around 20 recipes for low-fat hummus. Some have no oil or added fats and would be the lowest in Points. Others do contain oil, but they can be made Core by using an oil on the WW healthy oil list.

I put it on crackers or use it to fill celery sticks or as a dip for baby carrots.

We might want a thread in the Mess Hall under veggie dishes to collect hummus recipes.

Nancy

Original SW 175 (1996)

2008 stats: SW 153.6 12/31/07 ~ HW 156.0 09/15/08 ~ CW 153.2 09/22/08 ~ GW 137 ~ PGW 130

My pictures!

"Good food brings good health and longevity." - Chinese fortune cookie