Health Discovery Network
neon

Lays Marketing Strategy for Wow Chips

I was in Wal-Mart yesterday when I came across a bag of chips called "light" - they were Ruffles and Lays. I thought, "ok, these must be new?" so, I procedded to look at the label and saw that they were 0 fat, 75 calories, so, I was like this has to have Olean in them and sure enough, it did. They ahve simply changed the name from Wow to Light thinking that people would not associate the Light with Olean, and thus, increase sales. This is a pretty sneaky strategy if you ask me. I looked at the front of the bag and didn't see any indication of it saying "made with Olean" and if it was there it was very small and not out there in your face to see. It was only when I looked at the small print on the back of the bag that I saw this. I just thought it was funny how companies market their products.

Neon

made goal at 134 lbs, got pregnant (gained up to 196.5 pounds!), and now have my baby pounds to loose <br /> 169 weight after giving birth/143/130 5'3

Very interesting, Neon. IME, this is just one more example of why it is imperative to read the ingredient list as well as look at the calories, fat & fiber.

273.8/266.8/164

restart 1 November 14

I think the name Olean was inextricably associated with the *unpleasant gastric side effect* that it may cause - if you remember, Saturday Night Live even did a skit on this ("Now with 10% less anal leakage"!) So, I can certainly see the need for spin-doctoring the image of the chips! :headover:

Gaining Momentum and losing weight!

nothing like some good ol' gas with oily discharge! :eek: :crazy:

I seem to remember that this happened when people ate too much, like the whole bag instead of a serving, but I could be wrong.

Debbie

recommitted 11.28.10

313/304/169

It's always good to know that (and how) every company is manipulating you in some way.

I believe the unfortunate side effects only impact a minority of consumers. I've never had a problem with Olean, even before WW when I would eat, say, 75% of a tube of FF pringles for dinner.

Portion size definitely IS key for malitol (?), the ingredient in the sugar free candies.

:) Happy Friday!

Starting over AGAIN after 2 consecutive pregnancies - Jan 20, 2011

SW: 210.6

2/10: 206

====

SW 193.2 (Jul 2004)

10% on Sep 2004

WWG 169 (Nov 4, 2004)

LIFETIME - Dec 23, 2004

(maintained roughly through Aug 05...)

Guest Parham91x2

And gullible me fell for it!:embarrass

I use to buy the Wow Ruffles but the Light ones have BBQ flavor so I'm eating them anyway. They don't bother me as long as I have 1 and only 1 serving.

The sugar free candies are another story. I can't even have 1 piece of those or else I get really bad stomache pains.

Chris

Chris,

You certainly weren't alone! I steered clear of WOW chips because of the Olestra content and the reported gastric "distress". However, I saw these "new" Light Restaurant Style Tostitos, checked the NI, but never looked at the ingredient listing! I've only eaten a single portion at a time and though I didn't have any immediate consequences, the morning after was another story (which I will spare everyone from)!

Live and learn!:ugh:

Lisa

~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~

"How many times must you fall and then get back up before reaching the goal? Do it as many times as it takes." CW

I eat the wow or now "light" chips all the time, I love them. I have on occasion eaten allot more than one serving and have had no problems at all. I guess it just depends on the person.

I haven't had them in a while, but I never had any problems at all with the Olean...they tasted great and much lower in points and fat than a comparable regular serving of chips...

I have to second the malitol issue...I've heard (and my stomach seems to back this up) that the WW desserts at Applebee's are sweetened with malitol...I couldn't figure out why I was eating all of this bland food and ending up with such er, problems later on...

I also discovered it in the low carb banana nut vitamuffins...It must be cheaper than splenda...

Duchess: I've only eaten a single portion at a time and though I didn't have any immediate consequences, the morning after was another story (which I will spare everyone from)!

LOL, I have this happen to me if I eat too many FF Pringles too. OTOH, it may be a good thing to do the night before a weigh in :ugh:

LOL!! You guys!!

I must say it's rather musical around here if too many FF Pringles are eaten!

Remember, we're all in this together...I'm pulling for you!

Red Green

~~~

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak Kindly. Leave the rest to God

~~~

-30!

LMAO reading this! I too have had very bad side effects from Olean, but then again, I wasn't pairing use with portion control. This was when it first came out, and the last time I had an accident. I had to go home "sick" from work. I was too embarassed to admit that I thought I had gas, but had actually crapped (can we say that here?) my pants. :embarrass Now you all know way too much about me!

Sharon

Guest Parham91x2

It seems Shar found out the hard way about the "gas with oily discharge".:ugh:

At least you didn't try and stick it out at work!

Chris

The problem with the Olean has been corrected. The warning on the WOW chips about the anal leakage hasn't been present since they corrected the problem.

I love all the Light products and keep hoping for some Light Fritos with Olean!

Have to agree on those sugar-free candies -- the WW Fruities should be called POOTIES!!

Guest slave2cats

Do you know how they corrected it? I thought the problem was mechanical. The olestra molecules are too large to bind to the receptor sites in the colon and so they just, um, slither on through.

Eat a whole bag of them bad boys and that's a LOT of slithering! :exercise2

I dunno whether they fixed "the problem" or "a problem" but I had a handful (half the suggested portion) at a friend's house on Sunday evening and I spent the rest of the evening in her bathroom. I thought malitol was bad, but Olean takes my cake.

Plus, I got to wonder how safe Olean is, I mean, it took the FDA years to figure out that trans fats are worse than saturated fats. :rolleyes:

273.8/266.8/164

restart 1 November 14

Guest PrincessMoonbeam

I ate some of the chips when they first came out, and had no problem and I'm sure I ate way more than one serving. I do have problems with any of the sugar alchohols or sugar subs including Splenda. Took me a while to figure out that if it was 0 cals, then that means my body can not digest it. What happens to substances that I do not digest? They pass on through.

I love Crystal Lite, and had to give it up, or register my body as a lethal gas factory.....:o

Guest slave2cats

:D Beth, I love your sig! "All I want for Christmas is a metabolism"

Ain't that the truth!

Guest PrincessMoonbeam

BethAnne, glad ya got a kick out of my siggy. I loved your pics. I'm guessing that we have the same name, Mine is Elizabeth Ann. I also had auburn hair when I was younger. And, I love your ya ya name. I'm a chatter box also.:exercise2

Guest Cathmom94

I have been eating WOW chips for quit sometime now and have not had a problem with the Olean. On the otherhand, my mother is not able to eat them.

Lays is NOT doing any kind of tricky marketing here. For the last three months they have had an advertisment on all their bags telling consumers that the name was changing, and I believe it was to go along with some federal guidlines about labeling products with the words light, fat free and the like. Just thought you should know the bashing is not warranted.

They had signs in my new Walmart from Lays about a month ago saying that they were changing packages for the WOW chips, some sort of "New Look Same Chips" sort of sign, so I knew they were the same chips. I used to have a problem with the WOW stuff before WW when I would eat the whole bag or something, but I don't have any "side effects" when I eat just a serving. I don't think they were really "trying" to be sneaky, considering they did have signs (at least in my store) I definately think they are trying to increase sales by having a new look, but I simply refuse to pay 4 dollars and change for a bag of chips. JMHO :bcbsalute

-Emily :crazy:

SW:268.8 CW:249 GW:150

My LiveJournal

I don't think anyone is bashing Lays Co. Just stating our opinions, and IMHO it's smart to be suspicious of food companies, as they rarely have our best interests at heart.

273.8/266.8/164

restart 1 November 14

Guest slave2cats

Beth, dahling, you too can have this color! Straight out of a bottle babe, been going grey since my early 20s. (Thanks a heap Dad :buddysmoo )

Close on the name: I'm Elisabeth Anne, but I go by Bethanne. If you want to call me Beth, you have to prove you're related to me LOL.

Paris, you're absolutely correct - those food manufacturers don't have our best interests at heart. But I subscribe to the "No one here gets out alive" life view, so I don't mind eating bad stuff or potentially bad stuff in moderation.

Certainly, I was not bashing Lays, I actually took the opportunity to call the company to voice my opinion on the matter after I posted this thread. They indicated that they indeed had posted a notice of the change, however, I don't typically eat these things, so, I never would have noticed the sticky label on the bag, but, I still think that something using Olean should be labeled on the front of the package. Again, no one was bashing Lays, this is a forum of free speech and opinion, and, honestly, all of these companies are in the business for one reason, to make money, and we, as consumers, have to be aware of their sneaky practices.

made goal at 134 lbs, got pregnant (gained up to 196.5 pounds!), and now have my baby pounds to loose <br /> 169 weight after giving birth/143/130 5'3