Health Discovery Network
WWCarol

Core Baked Oatmeal: WWCarol's "Tweak"

We just LOVE this for breakfast and snacks! It's good warm or cold. It's easy to wrap in wax paper and eat while you're on-the-move~ :wave:

Carol's Core Baked Oatmeal

Servings: 4

Mix together:

1 cup oat bran

1 cup oatmeal, quick or instant (mine's "toasted" from Safeway)

1 1/2 tsp. baking powder (I like Rumford, or any non-aluminum brand)

1 tsp. baking soda

Pinch of salt

Blend together:

1 egg

1 cup FF evaporated milk (you can use skim milk, although I think FF evaporated is The Secret Ingredient! ;) )

1/2 cup FF plain yogurt

1/2 cup applesauce, unsweetened (I use the pre-portioned containers)

1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

1 tsp. cinammon

1 tsp. Pumpkin Pie spice (rounded)

1/2 tsp. nutmeg, (preferably freshly ground)

3 Splenda packets

Preheat oven to 350 degrees (mine's convection).

Line 8X8" pan with Reynold's non-stick aluminum foil. (No spray required, then. For spray I like "Mazola: Canola and Sunflower Oil Spray")

Combine first set of dry ingredients.

Blend second set of wet ingredients.

Add wet ingredients to dry, stir, and scrape into pan quickly and put into preheated oven immediately.

Cook for 25 minutes or longer, until top is golden brown and sides begin to pull away from the edge of the pan.

Cool for a few minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack. Divide into 4 servings. Serve hot or cold (or "toasted").

Optional: You can add nuts and dried fruits, and count the additional points.

[For Flex: Points for 1 serving baked oatmeal: 4.4 w/ FF evaporated milk; 3.9 w/skim or 1% milk~ pointed for me by Paris~ Thanks, Paris.]

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile

This looks AMAZING, Carol!!! For some reason my President's Choice quick cooking oats are higher in calories and fat than Quakers, so for me it comes out to be 5.2 points. However, I will make a batch for this week, I'm getting kinda sick of the scones :embarrass . ( I can't believe I just admitted that. but there it is :eek: )

Jeannette

"I have searched for the phrase "I shall walk the Earth and my hunger will know no bounds", but I keep getting redirected to Weight Watchers." Ianto Jones, Torchwood

Well, no wonder, Jeanette! :eek: ;) It must seem like a Test Kitchen at your house! :)

When I put Cordy's Oat Bread, Sheryl's Chocolate Snack Cake, and Baked Oatmeal on a DAILY ROTATION that keeps us satisfied AND gives us variety~ :D :bcbsalute

Well, no wonder, Jeanette! :eek: ;) It must seem like a Test Kitchen at your house! :)

When I put Cordy's Oat Bread, Sheryl's Chocolate Snack Cake, and Baked Oatmeal on a DAILY ROTATION that keeps us satisfied AND gives us variety~ :D :bcbsalute

My husband just rolls his eyes when I bounce into a room and say, "Honey, smell this!! It's Oat Bread!" He eats it, but the word "obsession" has been thrown about quite a bit. :crazy:

The snack cake I save in the freezer for when I need a fix but maybe I'll make it for breakfast. MUAHAHAHAHAA!! CAKE FOR BREAKFAST!!! :eek:

(sorry, didn't get much sleep last night due to toddler)

Jeannette

"I have searched for the phrase "I shall walk the Earth and my hunger will know no bounds", but I keep getting redirected to Weight Watchers." Ianto Jones, Torchwood

Jeanette~

Have you read the "Trifle" variation? Crumbled snack cake, FF/SF pudding, squirt of whipped cream (0 pt.) on top? I guess you could incorporate fruits into the trifle, too~ :D

I've done the cake-for-breakfast! And I didn't feel one-bit-guilty with Sheryl's recipe! :bcbsalute :angel

Have you read the "Trifle" variation? Crumbled snack cake, FF/SF pudding, squirt of whipped cream (0 pt.) on top? I guess you could incorporate fruits into the trifle, too~ :D

Carol~ Between you and Cordy, I'm going to blow up like a balloon, WW recipe or not! :lol: You know they call these "Trigger foods' for a reason, lady, and it ain't in honor of Roy Rogers' horse! :D

Jeannette

Well, FLWoobie~ When a post is older, it rotates off the front page and into the back pages...further and further out of sight. When you want to put it on the front page again, you write a reply to the thread "To the top" or "Bump" or "Pulling up" and that response brings it to-the-top of the forum (where it can be seen)! :) :bcbsalute

Guest FLWoobie

Thanks WWCarol. I'm trying to get the hang of posting. Now I have to figure out how you get the information at the bottom when you post. I'll keep working at it. This is a wonderful support for me.

Carol, can't wait to try your version!!! The one I tried first was a little bland but when topped with sf applesauce and ff yogurt it was wonderful!! Yours sounds like I might like it straight, too! Thanks!

SW: 157.4

CW: 154.5

2.9 down, 19.5 to go

GW: 135

~~~****~~~

Paullet

Bumpsters, to the top for me!

Lifetime as of November 21, 2005 & getting back to goal!

HW - 185

GW - 145

CW - 158

Hi,

I loved the chocolate snack cake but did a tweak of my own to it.......I added 1/2 cup ff evaporated milk and 1/2 cup pumpkin and 1T pumpkin spice and omitted the bananna, the dry nonfat milk and the cocoa.

Kind of a pumpkin snack cake. It is cooling right now and it looks pretty good.

I loved baked oatmeal and I will have to try Carols Tweak to it. Thanks everyone, for all the great ideas! I love checking out all the fun recipes.

You have to admit it -CORE gals are creative in the kitchen! :jump_jack

This sounds wonderful! I'm going to make this in the morning and have my husband watch over the oven while I'm at my WW meeting. This should make a great breakfast along with some fruit on the side! :)

Jayne

---

Guest Laneya

Okay, dumb question coming after all this time, but.... is Oat Bran actually Core?

In my Getting Started book, it lists "cooked (hot) cereal (any plain variety that does not contain added sugar)". However, in my Complete Food Guide, which has a much more extensive list, Oat Bran is not listed. Also, on the Complete Core Food List, posted on this board, it also does not appear.

Help!?!?:confused: :confused: :confused:

This is debatable. It was on the Complete Food Companion Core list (under "Hot cereal, Quaker oat bran") initially. WWs removed it, along with many mistakes, on a Correction list. However, it remains in the Getting Started booklet as "cooked hot cereal without added sugar". Then it depends on your definition of "cooked"...

A cup of cooked oat bran is one point. It is very good for you! I consider it Core. :bcbsalute I believe it was removed from the Complete Food Companion because there was a huge uproar when people began "baking" foods with Core ingredients.

At the end of the uproar, WWs finally decided: Core ingredient + Core ingredient= Core food. :)

You can substitute quick oats for the oat bran~ :bcbsalute

You have to admit it -CORE gals are creative in the kitchen! :jump_jack

Are we ev-er! :D :bcbsalute

Yes, I do. I know others have put fresh fruit in their baked oatmeal and love it! :bcbsalute :)

Guest MamaxMiax

I am making this right now for the first time. I am thinking this will also replace the pop tarts my kids sometimes have to have on the way out the door when we are running late in the mornings:crazy:

Guest Fulltiltredhead

I made this last night, except that instead of applesauce, I used 1 cup of pumpkin and 1 1/4 cups of oatbran. I sprinkled a Splenda packet on the top when I first got it out of the oven.

WOW, it's so good, portable breakfast, even better with applesauce on it.