Health Discovery Network
Guest JayneS

triathletes?

Guest JayneS

I'm sort of new to the board and just started ww on the 5th of Oct.

I'm wondering how many others out there do triathlons, adventure races or other endurance events? I've completed a handful of sprint distance tri's and am planning on doing some more. Any one out there interested in talking training tips, etc?

Howdy,

I did a few sprint tri's this summer, and am hoping to do an Olympic distance next season. Over the winter I'm going to concentrate on improving in the swim, maybe take some private lessons.

Haven't done any adventure racing, but I do single track mountain biking. I'm hoping to do a 24-hour bike relay next summer.

I'd love to share training ideas, etc.

Teresa

Started WW 07/08/02

239.5/151.5/155

GOAL!!!! March 1, 2004 LIFETIME!!! April 19, 2004

My photos

Guest Babe Ruthless

I did my first Triathlon in May of this year - it was a Sprint and I plan to do it again next year. There is nothing like the feeling of completing a distance or challenge that you have never before attempted! I had wanted to do a triathlon for years but was really overweight and out of shape and plus had never run in my life. Now I run all the time (aside from breaks related to whiplash, flu and bronchitis LOL) and look forward to NOT being the slowest time in the 2005 Coronation Triathlon!

:bike:

Yes, let's share some training ideas and motivate each other!

Guest JayneS

Great!

It's good to hear from you guys! Congrats on doing tris this year!

I didn't do any tri's this summer, but plan to next year. I broke my foot in July so I've been trying to build my base aerobic conditioning back up again- mainly on the eliptical trainer. Last week I added in a spin class.

I'm going to be on travel this week, so will probably be relegated to doing yoga in my hotel room! I tried running one day last week, but my foot is weak and I can still feel the break. Oh well-gotta let it heal.

Teresa-Have you heard of the Total Immersion swim clinics? A guy named Terry Laughlin started them and folks I've talked to really think the clinic helped their swim. The web site is http://www.totalimmersion.net.

I'd better get going-catch you later

I am just getting started. I have been active in the past but not really fit. Tri seems like a great way to have some variety and get fit. I have been biking a good bit for about 3 or 4 weeks.

I am starting a Master's swimming program next week. I have not had a "swimming lesson" in over 15 years. I can stay afloat and move from point to point, but I know I have little to no stoke technique. I am really looking foward to working on the skill as well as the physical exercise.

As you can see from you signature, I hope to complete my first sprint next last spring.

Focus on Fitness- I am not going to try, I am going to tri!

I just had to reply to this thread..........Being in a triathalon has been a dream of mine for awhile. I am an avid biker:bike: , and walker.:exercise2 Have started walk/jog on my treadmill for awhile now. Am wondering how to increase jog time. I am walking 3 minutes and jogging 2. Have been doing this for a couple of weeks. I started jogging on treadmill a few months back, and of course did too much too soon and sort of hurt my legs so now I am doing this more slowly. In September I signed up for swimming lessons to improve my stroke. At first swimming one length of the pool was extremely tiring. I told the instructor that I can walk for miles.........but swim......oh my Gosh!! I just didn't have any stamina. Well I am happy to report that now I swim a mile each time I go to the pool, which is usually three times a week.:headover: :jumprope:

I have a question :confused: what is a sprint tri? Give me some training tips please!!!

Elaine.

Where are the triatheletes....? I am anxiously awaiting answers to my questions!!

Elaine

Hi Elaine,

A sprint triathlon is any triathlon that is less than Olympic distance (which is 1500 m swim; 40 km bike and 10 km run). Many sprints are 1000 m swim, 25 km bike and 5 km run. There are Tri-A-Tri's that are even shorter. It's a great way to ease into triathlons.

The best way to train for triathlons is to initially train each discipline. You sound as though your swimming is on track- you should concentrate on increasing your biking and running, slowly increasing in intensity and length.

I am currently training for an Ironman triathlon in June, so if you have any other questions, feel free to ask, and I'll do my best to help.

diane.

DIANE<br />"The race is not always won by the fastest runners, but sometimes by those who just keep on running."

Thanks so much for your reply Diane. I see that you are in Edmonton, I am southwest of there in Drayton Valley. Can you tell me how much to increase my run time by? I want to increase slowly so I don't hurt myself. Also yesterday I brought my bike in the house and put it on the windtrainer. Should I do one of these disciplines every day, every other day or what? How long and how often should one train each discipline and how many days off per week shoud one take? Looking forward to some help.

Elaine :workout: :bike: :weights:

Hi Elaine,

I think you have to judge for yourself how many days per week to train. I myself do something everyday. My off-day from running, biking and swimming, I do yoga. But that's me, and everyone is different. To start with, until you build up endurance, and time permitting, I would suggest running 2-3x/wk, biking 2x/wk and swimming 1-2x per week. See how that goes, and if you're not overly tired, add in another bike.

To increase your running, I'd suggest you follow the Running Room program which works well. I'd start at run two minutes, walk one minute- do that for a week then try to increase to run three minutes, walk one minute. Try to increase your run time for a minute each week if possible, and limit your time to 20-25 minutes maximum. In 8-10 weeks, you should be up to 10 minute run and 1 minute walk and then you're good to go!!

I hope this helps- feel free to PM me if you want more detail. I LOVE TALKING TRIATHLONS, and I have some good drills to do on your bike on the trainer to relieve boredom.

Take care,

Diane.

DIANE<br />"The race is not always won by the fastest runners, but sometimes by those who just keep on running."

Thanks so much for the help Diane. I would like your bike drills to beat the boredom of cycling in the house.

With the running you said to increase run time by one minute per week, did you mean the entire workout should last only 25 minutes..........I like to go on the treadmill for at least an hour!! :kiss:

I have been swimming around 3 times a week, walk/jogging on alternate days and have just brought the bike in!! I too like you, like to do something everyday. I haven't done yoga in ages but would definitely like to get into that again. Do you attend classes or use a tape?

Thanks again for your help. I have been doing snow dances :ugh: lately, as I am an avid cross country skier, and we need more snow!!! :embarrass

Elaine

P.S. I tried to PM this to you Diane, but computer said you do not allow Private messages?????:confused: :o What did I do wrong?

Guest 1texasmom

I've been running 5Ks for some time. This season I completed a 25 mile bike and I have my last 20 miler for the season this Sunday. I'm planning on doing my first Tri in June with Danskin in Austin. In the off season I am concentrating on running and swimming. I've just signed up for some swim lessons and am looking for a running club. I need some instruction on increasing endurance...putting some more miles in.

Elaine - check out beginnertriathlete.com and coolrunnings.com for some great info including training programs and race etiquette. I was pleased with all of the information I found online. I also bought Sally Edwards book, Triathlons for Women.

This is the plan I followed for this week.

Monday - swam 64 lengths (1mile)

- bike 10 km.

-light weight workout

Tuesday - jog/walk on treadmill 2/1 x 6 then just walked until I had completed 5 miles.

Wednesday - swam 64 lengths (1 mile)

- bike 11 km. and some light weights.

Thursday - jog/walk on treadmill 2/1 x 6 then walked until completed 5 miles.

Friday - swam 64 lengths (1 mile)

- bike 14 km

Saturday (today) - jog/walk on treadmill 2/1 x 6 then walked until 5 miles completed.

- Light weights and some ball work.

How does this plan sound??? How fast should I jog on the treadmill?

Elaine :) :water1: :work_out: :bike: :workout:

Guest sriesub2

Hey Runninggirl, where are you competing in your Ironman? My husband and I just came back from Panama City Beach Florida where he competed in his first Ironman. It got me so motivated that I am putting myself on a 4 year program to do one too. I have been doing sprint triathlon's for about 5 years now, and would like to take it up a notch. This summer I took the year off from doing triathlon's but did 2 half marathons.

Keep us posted on your training, it helps motivate us :)

Hi Sriesub2- I'm doing the Ironman in Coeur d'Alene in June 2005. I can't wait- I'm excited already, and the training has really only just begun. Did your husband have a good experience?

Elaine, your program looks great but I hope you took Sunday off. It's certainly a challenging program, and you're going to need the day off to recover. You should run at whatever speed you can maintain and still do the talk test (ie not so out of breath that you can't carry on a simple conversation). I'm a firm believer in training by heart rate, so if you have a HR monitor, that's a bonus!!!

Good luck all,

diane

Originally Posted by eweb2/1 x 6 

Hope I did this quote thing right!! It means jog 2 minutes run 1 minutes x 6 repeats.!!

Yes, Diane I did take yesterday off. It was great. Really enjoyed the workout last week. Today so far today I have swam 1 mile and biked 15 km. I did have my heart rate monitor on for the bike ride but forgot to shut the timer off before I started lifting weights so I am not sure what my average heart rate was. I will have to :crazy: remember to shut the darn thing off when I am done!! Did a light weight workout too today :p ! Tomorrow is :exercise2 jog/walk day again and this week I will up it to run 3 walk 1 x 5 sets! I am following a beginners conditioning program in John Stanton's Book "RUNNING - Start to Finish"!

Elaine :water1:

Guest sriesub2

Hi Diane: My husband had an awesome experience, he wanted to sign up for next years but it filled up in 9 hours. He is going to do 2 half ironman's next year, one is just outside St.Albert, Alberta the Great White North half.

I also agree with you about training with a heart rate monitor, it really helps keep you under control with your workouts. It also really helped me loose weight as I worked out in my fat burning zone and not in my anerobic zone.

Hi guys,

I had my day off yesterday and it felt great!!! I had a grueling weekend, because I had my max VO2 tested on Saturday on the bike (SO HARD!!!) and then a 1 1/2 hours of swim training. Sunday I did 15 km run then weights. The best thing about all this training is how much I enjoy my off days. The dog gets an extra long walk, and I can watch TV without guilt (I love Everwood).

It's great to see this thread active, and I"ll make sure to keep posting. Elaine, Running Start to Finish has great programs- exactly what you'd do if you took a Running Room Clinic. Keep us informed about your progress!!

Have a great week,

Diane.

Did my first day of jog 3 walk 1 and found it a little tougher than last week. But I will continue:work_out: :exercise2. Also did a a few stretches and used the exercise band for a lower body workout!! Glad you enjoyed your day off from exercise yesterday Diane. Sounds like you had an extremely busy weekend! I have been thinking about checking out the fitness centre at Grant MacEwen and having some testing done. Will definitely look into it in the New Year!

Have a super duper day everyone!

Elaine :):embarrass

Guest 1texasmom

Did my first lesson with a swim coach last week. I'm really pleased. She's done Team in Training twice herself so she really knows her stuff. The entire first lesson she had me practice keeping my chin to my chest, softly blowing out my nose, and kicking my feet. Sounds easy, but I still got water up my nose three times! She said she might let me add arms back in this week, but she wanted me to get this chin/breathing thing down first. I was amazed out how much faster I move when my chin is down just because of my body alignment.

I ran a 5k Saturday in 35:05 - good time for me. Sunday was wet and cold so instead of biking I opted for spinning - did 30 minutes plus warm up and cool down. Monday was still wet so I hit the gym for a 30 minute jog on the treadmill and some weight training. More of the same today. Thursday and Friday I take off and then Saturday my training schedules starts over.

Elaine - Thanks for explaining the 2/1x6 to me. I see these abbreviations and never know what the break down is.

Those of you that use a HM - is this instead of a watch or does it serve both functions? Is there such a thing? I'm asking DH for a sport watch for Christmas and would love to know if there is such a thing before he has me write down the specifics. DH is somewhat shopping challenged and must take a list complete with definitions and pictures whenever possible. LOL!

Guest JayneS

hi guys!

I started this thread and then left town for a few weeks....sorry not good timing on my part. Glad to see so many folks interested in tris!

Heart Rate Monitors can have both the watch functions and the HR functions. I would definitely ask for a HRM over just a watch. Polar is the most popoular brand, but there are others out there.

Hey Diane, where did you get your VO2 max test done? I'm really curious how your training will go and what choices you make-keep us posted on your progress.

I wish you all were local so we could go swim/bike/run together!

Jayne

Hi guys, Another bright sunny day in Edmonton. I got my max VO2 tested at the University of Alberta. It was hard, but I got alot of good information out of it.

With respect to HR monitors, I have the Nike Triax C8. I wear it as a watch on a daily basis and I like the features it has. I can set multiple zones (ie

I'll definately keep you all updated as to my progress in training. I'm sure I"ll have alot of highs and lows- it's hard to believe its less than 8 months to Ironman!!

Keep in touch,

Diane.

Hello Ladies... what an inspiring string!!! I too have done 3 sprint triathlons - have always said that I need to complete an Ironman at least once. I can't even imagine it at this point. I've also run 6 marathons (Boston, Chicago, New York x2, and Dublin, Ireland x2). I plan on running Boston again this year, then Amsterdam next Fall.

I would love to talk triathlon, though. My weakness is definitely swimming (took a brief TI class, but didn't practice enough to make my training stick). Anyway, glad I found you!

Diane - I did my max VO2 test last year... brutal!

Laura

Hey Laura,

You've done a couple of marathons I'd love to do!! I'd love to qualify for Boston but I need to pick it up about 10 minutes, which sometimes seems impossible. I'd also really like to do Dublin. How did you like that one? Is there a lottery entry?

Swimming is my weakness as well. I'm taking a swim clinic 2 days a week, and I'm improving. I have alot of endurance, but not alot of speed, and I need alot of work on my form.

Have a great day!!

Diane