Health Discovery Network
Guest JayneS

triathletes?

Hey Diane! You would *love* the Dublin marathon.. the people are so friendly! Its a relatively flat course... long, easy hill at the beginning and a short steep hill around mile 21, but flat the rest of the way. You don't have to qualify (and I don't remember there being a lottery, but that could have changed.. ran it in 1998 & 1999), but sign up early, as its pretty popular. I can't remember what the max field is, but it was pretty crowded! I would love to qualify for Boston too! My PR is 4:06 in NYC. I need to run a 3:45 to qualify.. ugh. Have you run Boston? Its very hilly and really hard on your legs. Chicago is great too... fabulous crowds, and very flat.

I have not run in months.. I got very lazy, then broke my toe. I'm going to start running short runs, then get back with my running team to train through the winter.

Keep working on your swimming! I'm going to try to incorporate swimming into my winter schedule. I'm like you... I feel like I could swim forever, but I'm a veeery inefficient swimmer. I did a sprint tri last summer (swim was 1/3 mile)... it killed me! :ugh:

Keep in touch! :) :work_out:

Guest JayneS

Hi all;

I'm bummin today. My body is trying to sabotage me-I'm coming down with a cold and just can't get myself to go work out. Really having a hard time doing anything. oh poor, pitiful me!

I'm hoping this cold thing will go away soon. I just started running, one mile at a time, on the treadmill. I've been using the eliptical trainer and the rower since I broke my foot this past summer. I don't know if I will ever run a marathon-but I would like to get back to doing some 10k's and half marathons. It might take me forever to get there at this pace, though.

Swimming is my strong event-running is my weakest-so I really need to work on the running...Glad to hear you guys are working on your swimming. It's such a great sport-don't worry about speed work for awhile-that will come with proper technique.

Sorry for all the whining-I just really needed to.

jayne

Guest 1texasmom

My swim coach is so awesome. I told her I wanted to work on speed in addition to form. Last night she had another coach climb to the top of a platform to evaluate me from above. Then we worked on straigter legs and more fin like action from my feet. I was amazed at the difference. Still working on the breathing and chin thing. Need lots of practice...still getting water up my nose. LOL!!

Running has been tough this week. Don't know what's up with my legs but they feel like lead. I'm listening to my body and have shortened both distance and time the last couple of days. Any tips from you experienced runners?

Weather is suppose to be nice tomorrow so I'm headed out to the lake for a club ride. I hope to get in 10-12 miles and that will include some great hill work. Hummmmm, could this be the lead-leg issue?????

Hi everyone,

So last week was my second week of my new training program.

Monday Swam 66 lengths, biked 15 km did some light weights

Tuesday Jog/walk 3/1 x 5, then walked to finished off 5 miles, band workout

Wednesday swam 84 lengths bike 16 km. light weights

Thursday jog/walk 3/1 x 5 and walked until finished 5 miles. Light band workout

Friday swam 108 lengths, bike 17 km. and light weights.

Saturday, off day as I went to City

Sunday, 2nd day off.........Oops :p :embarrass !

So yesterday when it came time to go swimming I did my 66 lengths, but really found if hard to get motivated to ride my bike when I got home!. Finally got on there and did 15 km. but found my legs felt like lead, and it was really hard to keep my cadence high!! But I did complete it! Do you ever have days like this, when you just don't feel like doing it? Is this just the third week slump? Did feel better today, but goofed up and did 5/1 x3 instead of 4/1 x 4 on the treadmill. Should I just continue the rest of the week with the 5/1?? All offers of help will be much appreciated!!:angel :kiss: !

Thanks.

Have a great day

Elaine :bcbsalute

Guest 1texasmom

Elaine, I most certainly have days like that! In fact, I have weeks like that. Last week my neck was sore after my swim lesson...all of that new side breathing. I ran and lifted weights the next two days even though my neck was sore. Since Sunday I've had a hugely painful neck...can barely move. So...haven't moved my body all week. Just can't get moving cause it "might" hurt. Tomorrow the kids and I are signed up for the Turkey Trot. I hate to think what my time might be??!!

I have to get moving again. I wouldn't usually run the day before a race, but I think I will walk today and maybe get in some light weights.

If you're body is talking to you, you better listen. Sounds like your legs are saying to slow down. You'll know when to kick it back up. Learn from my mistake or youmight end up with a sore neck, too.

Hey guys,

Hey Texasmom, sorry about your neck- hope it gets better soon. Good luck in your Turkey Trot. Elaine, if your legs are still sore, just take a couple of days off. It could be just a bad run, and nothing more than that. If you have been able to do the 5:1, continue with them, as long as your legs feel ok. You're doing alot of exercise- your body may be telling you to take it a little easier. In particular, I notice you're doing alot of swimming. It may not be as hard on the joints, but you're still working hard, and it takes a toll.

My training is going really well. I'm definately building strength, which is my goal for right now. I'm doing alot of intervals on the bike and run as well.

Anyways, must go- have a great week everyone,

diane

DIANE<br />"The race is not always won by the fastest runners, but sometimes by those who just keep on running."

Hi everyone,

I managed to stick to my schedule and complete my exercise this week.

Monday swam 66 lengths, bike 15 km despite extremely tired legs, and did some weights.

Tuesday jog/walk 5/1 x 3 x 2 min jog then did band exercises- snuck in a little yoga in the evening........

Wednesday swam 96 lengths, bike 16 km. and weights

Thursday jog/walk 5/1 x 3 x 2 min jog then did band exercises

Friday, bike 20 km. didn't got swimming today as their was no lane swimming available. Did some weights again.

Today, Saturday jog/walk 5/1 x 3 x 2 min. jog, then did the band exercises again.

I am loving the exercise, but sure wished the scale would move in the downward direction. I am following core, and I am sure I am eating enough. Could the increase in exercise just be making my body wonder what the heck is going on!!?? I have been successfully maintaining my goal for 5 1/2 years. I would love for the scale to go down about 6 lbs. for a little more comfort!!:work_out: Any suggestions would be appreciated!!

Diane, thanks again for all your help, do you think I am swimming too much. Is a mile too much to put in everytime I swim? I have to drive to town to the pool to go swimming, so I guess I feel I have to make it worth the drive to town!!:exercise2 I hope everyone is having a great weekend. I am taking tomorrow off, I think!! At least that is the plan as of right now!!

Elaine :)

Hi guys,

I had a really successful week as well- did all my planned workouts and had an excellent long run this weekend.

Elaine- the only reason I mentioned that you were doing a lot of swimming is that it looked like you were doing 4 days a week, which is a bit much with all your other exercise. 3 times a week is great- espescially if you're doing drills at least 1 of the three times. If you get a chance, check out the book Total Immersion (you can get it out of the library). It gives some really good drills, and a great progression of skills.

I also think your body may be adjusting to the increased exercise. Just stick with it, and the scale will show results, as will your clothes. When I started increasing my exercise to the level its at today, I seemed to plateau for about 4 weeks. Then my body seemed to adjust and the scale is dipping down slowly but surely.

Good luck with training all,

Diane

DIANE<br />"The race is not always won by the fastest runners, but sometimes by those who just keep on running."

Guest 1texasmom

Speaking of scales...does anyone's weight loss seem to stall or stop when switching from excercising to training? You know what I mean...increased duration, increased weights, increased speed, increased weekly miles and such. I've been stalled for well over a month now with occasional gains.

I eat AP and WAPs when I'm hungry but they are not part of my normal meal plan. I'm obsessive about getting fruits, veggies and dairies in every day. I eat a pre work out snack and 2 other small snacks a day. I eat meat/eggs at 1-2 meals. Any recommendations?

This is a great topic, because I've REALLY found that when I start "training", and really increasing my physical activity, I do stall out for about 4-5 weeks. It seems to take my body that long to adjust to the additional stresses. I've found if I just eat healthy, and stay OP, that eventually the scale will move. It's frustrating, but I also find that I am starting to gauge my progress more from how my pants feel than the scale.

Any others find the same thing?

Diane.

Guest 1texasmom

Diane, you're so right! The pants I wore this morning were big and they were actually tight the last time I wore them. I know my legs are toning up and my abs/hips are slimming down. But still... I know....be an adult and stop whining...I know it'll go down eventually. It's good to know your stalls last 4-5 weeks. I dont think I've ever stuck it out till it dropped...I usually just end up pulling back on the training and regretting it afterwards. This time I'm sticking with it! Pinky swear...

So glad I brought up the subject of weight. Sounds like you are a little impatient like me in wanting the scale to move.:angel I really upped the training the beginning of November and since then my weigh-ins are like this. Nov.4 135.8

Nov. 10 135.8, Nov. 18, 134.2, Nov. 25 135.6!:mad: Wahhhhhh, I want to see it less than 130 right now!!!! I have to remember to just keep going and not quit with the exercise, the changes are right around the corner!!!

Diane, I have ordered the book Total Immersion from the library, hopefully it won't be long before I get it! Hope it is easy to understand!!!. Also I am hoping to get into United Cycle soon to look at the video you suggested for cycling! Right now, I just watch Dr. Phil or catch up on the soaps while I ride. Today is the first day of jog/walk 6/1. Hope I survive! Talk to you soon.

Elaine :jumprope: :exercise2 :work_out:

Guest 1texasmom

My neck is all better. Been working on running speed this week. I ran 2 miles on each Monday and Tuesday, timing myself to see how much work I needed to do. I pushed it, but not overly. I ended up diong a 9:10 mile both days. Hmmmm...maybe not as much work as I thought. Of coarse this means that I didn't run to the best of my ability during the 5k...or the 3rd mile kicked my erad end. Tonight is my swim lesson and tomorrow night is WI. I plan to time 3 miles Friday and 4 on Saturday morning. I think I'm going to lay low on the bike while I train for the 10k and half marathon. I'll pick biking back up the first of March. Is that a really bad plan? I just can't seem to squeeze it all in right now when I'm needed to be increasing my mileage.

Hey Texasmom,

Just my opinion, but aren't you doing alot of speed work? Everything I've read stresses that you should do a maximum of 1 day of speed work per week. When is your half marathon? I'm doing one at the end of February. Right now I'm running 4x/wk with 1 speed work session and 1 long run and 2 middle distance runs. I"m biking 3x/wk including 1 spin class and swimming 3 times/wk. Also weights 2x/wk. It's tough, but I don't have much choice if I'm going to do Ironman in June. I think its a good idea to concentrate on running, but could you not fit in at least one hard bike session each week? That way you can keep a base while still concentrating on running and swimming.

Elaine, you'll love Total Immersion. It breaks down the stroke really easily, and gives good drills that will help your stroke, and also add something new to your swimming sessions. The masters class that I'm taking focuses on the concepts in the book.

Happy training this week!!

Diane.

Guest 1texasmom

Diane - thanks for the tips! This is exactly why I posted. I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing!!!! :crazy: So I'll drop speed work to 1x a week, and increase endurance via additional mileage on sked runs 4x week. Weights are still on at 2x a week and swimming 1x. I can probably squeeze a bike in there somewhere...truly I figured my plan was not on track. Besides...I like biking now that I've got it down. But in the back of my mind I guess I was thinking this was the easiest for me and woudn't hurt to drop it. Now I see that the logic was flawed...dropping it would mean I would have to start over and it would no longer be the easiest.

Swim lessons went well last night. I'm getting this rhythmic breathing down finally. The last couple of weeks I was beginning to think that I would drink the pool before I got it. Now just need practice, practice, practice...

Guest 1texasmom

Hey, is everyone at the mall??

Hi Texasmom,

I'm not at the mall, I was there on Friday. Got most of my Christmas shopping done then, thank goodness. I just need a few stocking stuffers now!!

So since I was shopping on Friday I did not get my swim, nor my bike ride in. Just walking, and fighting other shoppers with carts!! :) Saturday, I did get my jog/walk and band exercises in. Yesterday I took the day off of my regular exercise schedule, but did get up the Christmas tree and the rest of the decorations in the house done!! Today unfortunately I was unable to go swimming as my daughter is home sick :confused: or so I thought, but as the day progresses she seems to be getting better!! I think she pulled a fast one this morning, or maybe she just need to get rid of all the junk she ate yesterday:ugh: as she did do a little head hanging over the pot this morning. I did get 20 km in on my bike and some weight lifting. My weight last week stayed the same 135.6!! How aggravating. I have been trying to let it not bother me but yesterday I found myself picking and eating things that aren't core, so I had to count them, things like light cheese, sourdough bread and peanut butter. I just felt hungry all day long!! Now when I think about it I didn't drink hardly any water, and my TOM of month is due on about Thursday, so I think I let hormone eating do me in!! Boy, I hate that, I haven't done that in a long time! Hopefully my weight will not be affected by it too much, and I definitely plan to get back on the right track immediately!! I weigh in on Wednesdays, the same day that I swim a mile or more in the morning, and bike in the afternoon. Do you think that strenuous (SP?) exercise before you weigh in - shows on the scale? :o

I better get off of here and go and eat some lunch. I'll be back!!

Hi,

I'm back. But now where has everyone else gone too!! Tawnya, Diane, where are you? Went to the Doctor yesterday and he put me on antibiotics. Seems I have a sinus infection, so I guess I better not go swimming today. Actually yesterday I didn't do any exercise either as I have a sinus headache. Today, I might try a little biking. Still doing terrible with eating this week. Can't wait for weigh-in to be over with!! I think I might switch to Flex for next week and count points again. I gotta get a couple of pounds off!!

Got the book Total Immersion from the library yesterday, so I will be reading!

See ya later.

Guest 1texasmom

Ran 3 miles and swam for 45 minutes last night. Wow! That was the first time I did both in one evening. During the swim the only difference I noticed was that my heart rate got higher much faster. Afterwards, stepping out of the pool my legs were so heavy and hard to move. They tingled the whole way home. I love that feeling! I'm calling it a successful workout.

Elaine, I'm plateaued again too. I knew it would happen. I knew training would make it last longer or bring it on faster. I've learned this about my body. Doesn't make it any easier to accept, but here I sit refusing to give up. Regrettably, I'm having lots of stress at work this week and ate off plan for the first time in months. I WI tonight so we will see.

Hi all,

I've had a sinus infection all week so I haven't been swimming since December 1 and I sure miss it!! I haven't been running either as I don't think my head could stand the pounding!~:mad: But I did bike a couple of times and lift weights a little. The Dr. put me on the grossest antibiotic ever. Cost $58 for 7 days worth of pills. I will never take these ones again (Biaxin). They make everything taste like metal. Now, one would think this would make you not want to eat.........but I have found myself nibbling all week, just, to get rid of the taste. Of course the scale reflected my poor eating gained 5 lbs. this past week. That is definitely not something I wanted to see. I was expecting to get TOM on Thursday but now it is Saturday and nothing yet. I keep telling myself that is part of why the scale went up so much :ugh: !! Only two more days of this pill left, I am drinking a lot more water :water1: just to try to make me full, and help get rid of yucky taste. My plan right now is to get back to the pool on Monday, headache or not!! Gotta get these pounds off, I don't want them hanging on to me!! How is everyone else's training going?

Total Immersion book is very interesting!! I am still trying to figure out how to make myself slippery though! Maybe I will take Vaseline to the pool!:embarrass :p .

Guest 1texasmom

Elaine, vaseline? Oooooh! Sorry you're not feeling well. That's a bummer. Hope you get better soon.

I decided to try another brick today. I ran 4 miles and then biked 6. Not very far, but enough to tell me that I need to start doing this on a regular basis. Once a week?

WI was ok. I maintained. I'll take it!

Tomorrow I plan to hit the gym right after work. I'll run 5 miles on the treadmill and then lift some weights. Still taking it easy...bhelieve it or not my neck is STILL sore!

Hey buddies,

Sorry I've been MIA, but I just got back from a week-long cruise. We left out of LA and went to Cabo San Lucas, Mazatlan and Puerto Vallerta. I had a fantastic time, and actually kept up my exercise. I did gain a pound, but I'm ok with that, since everyone I went with gained at least 5 lbs. This week I'm just focusing on getting back on track.

Elaine, glad to hear you're enjoying Total Immersion. I think its a fantastic book. It always makes me enthusiastic for swimming.

Take care everyone,

Diane.

Diane, you lucky girl. How I would like to go on a trip like that. Total Immersion is very interesting and I couldn't wait this morning to get to the pool to try some things out, but alas, I got there and found out there was no lane swimming until noon, to late for me today. So I just came back home and rode my bike 20 km. Will try to get to the pool tomorrow!! I take the last gross antibiotic at supper today. I phoned the pharmacist this morning and told her to please put on my record to never let me walk out of their store with this pill ever again. She got a good laugh out of it!! Will let you know how swimming goes tomorrow, if I remember how!:) ;)

P.S. Tawyna I hope your neck is better!!

Boohoo, :mad: I didn't get to the pool today but I did get my jog/walk in and did some weight lifting. :crazy: The pool is going to be closed from December 20- January 2, so it looks like I might not get any swimming in until the New Year. Rats, I want to practice some of the stuff from Total Immersion. I will definitely have to extend the loan period for the book from the library. Hope everyone else is on track with training!! I have upped my :water1: H20 consumption a lot in the last week and I can't stay out of the washroom!:embarrass .

Have a great day!

Hi guys,

I've come down with a doozie of a cold, so I've been taking it easy since I got back from vacation. I can't wait until I actually feel healthy again. I'm going to try a run at noon today and do a short bike and my weights tonight and see how that goes. I can't believe its only 2 weeks until Christmas!!! Is anyone actually ready for the holidays?

Take care,

Diane