Health Discovery Network
WWCarol

Balsamic Reduction Salad Dressing

Here's a family favorite from Charski:

Char's Balsamic Reduction

2 cups balsamic vinegar(I love Costco's brand)

1/3 cup sherry vinegar

1/3 cup cider or red wine vinegar

1 1/2 teaspoons dried tarragon, crumbled

1/2 teaspoon freeze-dried chives

1 shallot, minced

1 clove garlic, minced

1 tablespoon Splenda

1 3 oz. envelope liquid pectin

Combine vinegars in saucepan and bring to boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer til it is reduced to 1 1/2 cups (about 10 minutes or so). Add tarragon and chives, shallot and garlic. Simmer 2 more minutes and remove from heat. Allow to cool then strain into non-reactive container (I use a plastic salad dressing shaker or a glass canning jar), pressing on the herbs to remove as much of the vinegar as possible; add the Splenda, stirring well. Add liquid pectin. Refrigerate.

0 points per serving!

NOTES: Trust me when I tell you that you do NOT want to inhale the fumes from the vinegar when it's simmering! WOW! It will open your sinuses right up! Have your overhead fan going.

Different brands of balsamic taste quite different. I've tried a few now and the one from Costco has a nice, mellow flavor. They're all tasty though when reduced like this.

Liquid pectin can be found with the canning supplies. My market also has it in the produce section. Originally I made this reduction with a tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil, but tried the pectin when I read somewhere that it would give body to a reduced or 0 fat salad dressing recipe. It does! It causes the dressing to stick to the greens better, and it also increases the volume, at 0 calories!

This stuff is SO good that I want to lick the bowl when I've eaten the salad! Our favorite is to slice up a cooked chicken breast and serve it over a bed of crisp, cold romaine that has been tossed with the balsamic reduction. Then I top it with canned artichoke hearts, hearts of palm, sliced tomatoes, sweet peppers, whatever you like on a salad, and top it off with just a sprinkle of Parmesan and a few pine nuts. DH MMMMMM's and AHHHHHHH's til he hits the bottom of the plate!

Char

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile

Lynn~ I think your WW members would love this recipe!

It's great when you want to use your healthy oils for something else, besides salad dressing~ :) :bcbsalute

Want to use your oils for something else? Try this delicious salad dressing!:bcb_bigsm:salut

Just made more of this. I sometimes use a TBS. of my homemade vinagrette (with some oil) AND this, which extends the dressing...

I should've titled this: ZERO POINT SALAD DRESSING! :bcb_grin