Health Discovery Network
Guest Babe Ruthless

It's time for a new Runners Thread! Oct 24/04

Guest Babe Ruthless

Hey HowDee-Doo Runners!

I have been very absent from this thread and this board too for the last couple of weeks. I've been busy with my new home business (on top of my own full time job), with work, and also dealing with yet another case of whiplash! So today I decided that 3 weeks without running was long enough and I went for a run in the cold today. I had a decent run, at a far from race pace, and feel pretty good. I won't find out until tommorow how this affects my whiplash, which thankfully is less severe than when I got hit in Dec /03.

This also gave me a chance to play with my Forerunner 201, which I really only got to try out 2x what with the whiplash, flu and bronchitis! It sure is a neat toy - I'm so glad I got it. For those who don't know, the Forerunner is a GPS unit for runners which tracks pace and distance among other things.

So, now I am feeling like I can continue with my training for the 10k portion of the World Masters in July although I know I still have physio and many bad days ahead of me.

Good morning everyone!! Babe you may remember me when I used to post here....I hope to cintinue posting again here!! Happy Trails!!1 Steve :)
Oh Shappy! Oh course I remember you and I hope we continue to see you around here!!! And what ever happened to Tall Cool One? We haven't seen him for eons either!

Okay runners! Where are you!!!! What are you up to? What are your goals for the next year?

Hey Babe,

Thanks for starting a new runner's thread. I am trying to train for my first Half-marathon on Thanksgiving day. Will try to post more often.

:cool: Kathy :cool:

SW: 177 CW: 153

8 pounds above goal

Made Lifetime 9/7/04

Made goal 7/27/04

Made 10%: 3/23/04

WW Goal: 145 trying to get back

Height: 5'8"

Oh yeah, I was going to ask how did you like your Forerunner? I have seen it in Runner's World, looks cool.

8 pounds above goal

Made Lifetime 9/7/04

Made goal 7/27/04

Sorry for the 70's music reference folks.

Anyway, it's me, TCO. Unfortunately, I have been not been keeping with the ways of BCB lately. But, today is a new day. My wife and have made the recommitment to do the weight watchers program again. We had great results for about a year and a half and then got lazy with our eating program.

I have managed to continue my running, which is a good thing. I'm running between 3 and 5 miles a day, 3 or 4 days a week. Some of the guys I teach with have been running quite a bit, but I am a little too slow to keep up the pace. They are doing 6 miles in an hour and I am doing about 5 miles in an hour. So, this winter I am going to work on my speed and try to get to where I can hang with those guys. I think I'm going to get on a 10K training program or something to get the job done.

Gotta run.

TCO

Good for you Tall Cool One! :bcbsalute Welcome back!

SurferGirl

Mom to baby Boy born 9/18/05

Mom to baby Boy born 5/8/09

SW (7/1/09): 168

CW (8/13/09): 166.5

GW: 145

Height 5'7

August goal: 8 pounds

168 - 166.5 - 160

Guest Babe Ruthless

TCO ! Nice to see you back! I've been strugggling with program but like you say, every day is a new one!

I felt fine after my run on Sunday but by Tuesday, the pain in my neck had progressed down my back and has increased. Grrr! So I guess I'll take it easy with the running for a while and just walk on the treadmill for a while until my neck muscles have healed a bit. And then I'll run on the treadmill anyways because I don't run outside in the cold and its easier on the neck for now.

Flower Girl! I love the Forerunner, it works really well and keeps my competitive. I look forward to my whiplash healing (with much work on my part) so I can get back to the running outside.

So, heres to a new OP week! :workout:

Hey runners, I ran 8 today, the most I have ever run. I felt okay doing it, don't feel so good now. I have trouble figuring out what to eat around my long runs. I eat peanut butter toast before and I ate a luna bar while I was running. I just haven't figured out what is the right thing to eat after. What I ate today just isn't agreeing with me. Any suggestions would be appreciated.:work_out:

8 pounds above goal

Made Lifetime 9/7/04

Made goal 7/27/04

Hi guys,

I've been absent for way too long as well. I'm into my training for Ironman in June 2005, and between that and work, it seems like I have no free time. I'm back running regularly again after my foot surgery in the summer. It's amazing how quickly you can lose your running base- oh well, lots of hard work and I'll get it back. My goal until Christmas is to work on short fast runs. I'll start increasing mileage dramatically in January.

Flowergirl, I have real problems with my stomach on long runs as well. What works for me is to ensure that I have a good dinner the night before my long run and have a bowl of cereal before bedtime. Then in the morning I have 1/2 cup oatmeal and a fruit leather. The only thing I have on the run is E-Load (which is like gatorade but easier on the tummy). If I'm running super long (ie >15 miles), I'll take gummy bears along. Trying to eat a bar on the run will upset your stomach as most contain protein, which tends to be a little too heavy. You might want to try something that is a simple sugar for excess energy, ie gels or sharkies or gummie bears or ju-jubes. Ensure that you have a sports drink that you can tolerate. For an 8 mile run you shouldn't need anything more than sports drink if you've eaten well previously.

Hope that helps,

Diane

DIANE<br />"The race is not always won by the fastest runners, but sometimes by those who just keep on running."

I'm still running about 3/4 a mile. My knees are getting sore so I end up having to take more days off than I'd like. This is going to be a slower process than I thought.

SurferGirl

Mom to baby Boy born 9/18/05

Mom to baby Boy born 5/8/09

SW (7/1/09): 168

CW (8/13/09): 166.5

GW: 145

Height 5'7

August goal: 8 pounds

168 - 166.5 - 160

Diane, thanks for the response, I am supposed to run 9 on this Sunday, will try to change it up a bit. I will let you know how it goes. Have you ever done Ironman before?

8 pounds above goal

Made Lifetime 9/7/04

Made goal 7/27/04

Guest 1texasmom

Hi! I've been on the board and WW for some time now. I've been running 5Ks for 2 years and now have decided I want more. But I could use some tips for distance running. I'm trying to find a club in my area for group runs, but so far no luck.

Everyone talks about what to eat and drink while on your runs. Do you wear a back pack, or are you running laps and stashing your stuff? I can see wearing a waist pack with gels or candy, but the water and gatorade mystifies me. I can't imagine carring one more pound.

Any other tips to get me started. I'm planning on a long run tomorrow morning.

Thanks!

Texasmom, I have a Camelback, it is a bladder that holds about 50 ounces of liquid. It is like a little backpack. It is a lot easier than carrying a bottle of water. Good luck.:exercise2

8 pounds above goal

Made Lifetime 9/7/04

Made goal 7/27/04

Guest 1texasmom

I ran 3.5 Saturday morning. I was planning a longer run, but forgot I had a bike rally Sunday morning of 20 miles. I knew I would need some quads left so I held back. To trick myself into staying commited I signed up for some races. I have a 5k Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving day, a 10k Mardi-Gras Beach Run on January 28 in Galveston and then I'm aiming for the Cowtown Half Marathon the end of February. The 5k and the 10k race dates fall short of where I hope my training to be but I should be right on track for the half - worst case I walk some of the route. But I WILL do the race.

I've been quite absent here lately. Been running off and on for the past few months without any real goals in mind. But I made a decision yesterday, next year, I'm going to run the Vancouver Sun Run. It's a very popular 10k here. The training starts in January and I'll be signing up for the clinics. I quite enjoy running when I'm doing it but getting motivated to do it is another thing. I found that when I had a purpose and clinics to go to, I stuck to it 3x a week. Hence, signing up for the clinics. For now, I'll get to the gym and run my 30mins and when the clinics start up, I'll be ready to go!

Recommit - Jan 2008

Highest weight - 170

170/142(ww)/137(pg)

I am still on track for my Half training, I ran 9 miles last weekend and will run 10 this weekend. I never thought a year ago that I would be typing that. :exercise2

8 pounds above goal

Made Lifetime 9/7/04

Made goal 7/27/04

Guest 1texasmom

Flower Girl - when is your half? I'm training for one also. Mine is February 26.

I ran a 5k race Saturday, finishing in 35:05. That's a good time for me, not my best but still good. This week I'm doing speed work. This is BRAND NEW to me so I'm a little unsure of myself, but very determined!

My Half is on Thanksgiving day and it is new to me too. I ran 10.2 this weekend and will now begin to taper off. I posted a seperate thread but had no responses, what do you eat after a long run, I have been having trouble.:work_out:

8 pounds above goal

Made Lifetime 9/7/04

Made goal 7/27/04

Guest 1texasmom

10.2 miles! Wow! Good job. I'm planning on doing my first "long" run this coming Sunday. I'm aiming for 9 but we'll see. I figure I can finish even if I have to fall back to a 10 and 1.

As far as eating after a run, I eat everything in sight. Not really, but I could. I'm usually starving.

I immediatly grab for a banana and a sport drink. A friend just put me onto Citomax (sp??) recovery drink. Its a carb/protien drink with amino acids. It is suppose to help your muscles recover and rebuild faster. It does taste good and sits well on my tummy. I must admit that even after this, once I get a shower and rest a bit I am usually ready for a meal. The only times I've gotten sick to my stomach was when my blood sugar dropped. When that happens I get light headed and sick. I've been told the sport drink and banana gets my body back on track so I've stuck with that and it seems to work. Its all still a work in progress for me though. I'm still learning - in fact right now I'm reading Power Eating. Interesting. You might check it out.

Hey Texasmom, hope that you are drying out today, we are soon going to get all of that rain. Thanks for the info on what you eat, I did the banana and fruit drink thing last week and it worked, I think the bagel and peanut butter might work for me too. That is about what I eat before I run. Haven't run any since I ran my 10, just too busy this week.

8 pounds above goal

Made Lifetime 9/7/04

Made goal 7/27/04

Guest Babe Ruthless

Hey there running buddies!

I am totally jealous of you that are still able to run! Thanks to this most recent bout of whiplash, I am unable to run or do much at all. I can walk, slowly, and that is about it. This is not great for my training that's for sure!

I haven't had much time to post lately, but I do log on several times a day to see how all my running buddies are doing!

It's actually been really nice here so had I not been injured I could be out running almost every day!

I hope the training that all you guys are doing pays off! Kanis, Flower Girl, Texas Mom, Surfer Girl, Running Girl, TCO, nice to see you and make sure you log a few miles for me!

:workout:

Babe, so sorry about your injury, appreciate your posting to cheer us on. I am running my first Half on Thanksgiving. My sister and sister-in-law are running it with me. I am a little scared, kind of excited. I think I can run it, but just want to enjoy it. Hope that you can get back to running soon.

8 pounds above goal

Made Lifetime 9/7/04

Made goal 7/27/04

Guest 1texasmom

Flower - how did your half go? I'm excited for you and axious to hear about it.

Babe- take care of your self.

The family and I all ran the 5k Turkey Trot yesterday. I finished in 33:32 from gun to finish. I was pleased as the crowd was large, I had to navigate carefully, step over kids and dogs, and actually had to wait in line to cross the finish. I think they have outgrown the race site!

I hadn't done any running this week. I had pulled a muscle in my neck last week. I'm not sure if I did it lifting weights or learning to side breathe during my swim lesson, but I couldn't move for 2 days. I'm still tender and will go easy on the weights this week and check for proper form. Anyway, with my neck so sore I couldn't run...it actually hurt when it bobbled around. Now I have to kick it into gear. I've got a 10k shcheduled for Jan 28 and my first half on Feb 26. OOOhhh! That sounds so close :confused: !

I made it, I ran the whole half marathon. My sister was a great support for me, hanging back running most of the way with me. I didn't fair to well after, my stomach was completely torn up the whole day after. I am pretty proud that I ran the whole thing.

8 pounds above goal

Made Lifetime 9/7/04

Made goal 7/27/04

Hi folks,

My brother's fiance' has been trying to talk me into running the Indy Mini Marathon on May 7. Right now I can run 5 miles in just under an hour. My problem is I can run at most 3 days a week without having joint problems. Would I be able to get enough miles in only going 3 days per week to be able to enjoy the experience? 1 reason I want to do it is that you get to do a lap on the Indianapolis Motor Speedway as part of the course. I think that would be cool.

Happy trails.

Guest 1texasmom

Kathy - that is awesome! Congratulations!!

Tall One - that would be super-cool. You should go for it!

I'm back to training today now that my neck is starting to feel better. I'll have to go easy on any weight excercise that puts pressure on my necj though...not sure how I'll handle swimming, but I'll tackle that later in the week.