Health Discovery Network
shrinky

General Tsao's Chicken

Yeah, I think no sugar would make a difference. Give it another try with the sugar and see if you like it! Do you like the regular version of General Tsao's chicken?

SW 176.8/CW 167.0/10% goal 159.8/PG135

Easter Challenge

2/15 167.0

2/28 167.0 still

3/1

3/8

3/15

3/22 *Leaving for vaca 3/26 -4/4

3/29

4/5

Made this tonight! DH said it was very good but didn't taste anything like General Tsao's. Who cares what it is supposed to be?It was very good. I will be adding this into our rotation of meals. Thanks for posting!

Nikki

SW 230.6(01/15/11)

CW 199.9(1/20/12)

Bumping up!!!

Edit: Made this last night for dinner. I thought the flavor could have been stronger. Next time I make it I will probably use fresh ginger and put garlic into the sauce, and I will also add some red or green peppers in with the chicken and scallions.

I did like it though and will make it again.

Thanks for the recipe!

- Jacque

"Hang Tough. That means doing your best every day."

- Major Dick Winters, Band of Brothers

SW: 162

CW: 149

GW: 135

bumping up again.

~Nancy in SJ

HW 152

CW 144

GW 138

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend, inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."

www.englishsetterrescue.org

Has anyone tried the second recipe? How'd it go?

Also, can anyone rank recipe 1 or 2 on a scale from 1 to 10?

Thanks, keri

This was sooo good. Much better than restaurant chicken. :bcb_bigsm

VANESSA

274/248.5/under 150

Size 26/20/8ish

1/4/08: -10

2/1/08: -8.5

3/7/08: -0

4/4/08: -4.5

5/2/08: -4

I made this last night and it was good. Next time, I will spice it up a little more (I like spicy) and maybe make more sauce (I love sauce!). Aw heck- maybe some more rice too. Or maybe bulgar. Hmmmmm....

General Tsao's Chicken

makes 4 servings, 6 points each

Ingredients:

3/4 cup canned chicken broth, reduced-sodium

2 Tbsp cornstarch

2 Tbsp sugar

2 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce

1 Tbsp white wine vinegar

1/2 tsp ground ginger

2 tsp peanut oil

2 medium scallion(s), chopped

2 medium garlic clove(s), minced

1/2 tsp red pepper flakes, or 1 dried chili pepper, minced

1 pound uncooked boneless, skinless chicken breast(s), cut into 2-inch pieces

2 cup cooked white rice, kept hot

Directions:

In a medium bowl, whisk together broth, cornstarch, sugar, soy sauce, vinegar and ginger; set aside.

Heat oil in a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat. Add scallions, garlic and pepper and cook 2 minutes. Add chicken and cook until browned all over, about 5 minutes.

Add reserved sauce and simmer until sauce thickens and chicken is cooked through, about 3 minutes.

Serve chicken and sauce over rice. Yields about 1 cup of chicken and sauce and 1/2 cup of rice per serving.

from the Weight Watchers website

Smoke free since 11/15/07

Guest nurseadams24

Ohhhhhhh how I have been wanting some chinese food. I am going to try this. My mouth is watering as I type....lol.

The peanut oil doesn't change it much - If I ever run thru it, I'm not buying it again. Just ELOO for me. :bcb_bigsm

VANESSA

274/248.5/under 150

Size 26/20/8ish

1/4/08: -10

2/1/08: -8.5

3/7/08: -0

4/4/08: -4.5

5/2/08: -4

I used canola oil and red wine vinegar. DH gave this an 11 out of 10!! Can't beat that. Per DH's request, next time I will try adding water chestnuts and thinly sliced carrot (just because he loves them, not that it needed a thing).

wwnUztp

LOVE & BLESSINGS

GAIL

Be faithful, be strong, be diligent.....

it's only good news if told in time.

made this last night and DB and I LOVED it! I even have a serving left today for lunch, it was so filling I couldn't eat all of it! Next time though, we'll add more crushed red pepper, and add some veggies like broccoli so we get a veggie serving in there....but all in all, it was great! and SUPER EASY!

Kerensa

recommited: 7/15/2008

SW: 197.6

CW: 189.4

??? Due to Hurricane Ike

Total Loss - 8.2

I had this for dinner tonight and loved it. I added snow peas too and broccoli.

I had some water chestnuts and I forgot to add them.

OMG! This was so good! It was good just like it was, but I added a couple of things that made it "Wow!"

First, to my serving I added 1 cup of chopped broccoli. For a 6 pt meal, that was a heck of a lot of food. (I made the kids do this too, so they'd get in their veggies.)

Then to each serving (on our plate) we added 1/4 tsp to 1/2 tsp of Chili Garlic Sauce (jar leftover from another recipe). This gave it the spicy taste it was missing. It was sooooo good.

My 17yo son packed the leftovers for his lunch tomorrow. Hrmph. I was planning to have it for lunch tomorrow!

Nita

This is one of my favourties. It doesn't taste like General Tsao's to me but it's still great.

Grainne

3/16/02- Made WW Lifetime

4'11"...SW 176lbs CW 154 lbs WGW 115

Rejoining weight 11/17 154 lbs

weight.png

Bumping, because I tried this tonight, and it was amazing. I'd follow the directions for the amount of pepper though, I added a bit extra and my mouth is still on fire.

weight.png

Ashley

3/7 miles Run

15/30 miles Biked

Good recipe! Definitely a keeper. I used fresh ginger; I also added some v-e-r-y skinny carrot sticks which added some color. Next time I would cut the chicken into slightly smaller chunks; add more pepper; and add more carrots (or any vegie) for color.

Yum!

This was really good..I used the first recipe (original post) and it was great...very easy to make too! I also added a little more pepper flakes and it was a lil too spicy!

But next time I will follow directions..yummmm! DH loved it too!

SW: 127

CW:125.2

GW:115

What you eat in private shows up in public!

Can this be made using boneless chicken thighs? That's what I have...thanks,PL

Patti<br />*****<br />Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down. <br />******************************<br /><br />"The road to someday, leads to the town of nowhere. Procrastination is the silent killer."<br />~Anthony Robbins

Omgosh! Let me tell you this is the BEST recipe ever!!! I made it tonight and my hubby ate his and the rest that I couldn't on my plate, it was just so great! Make sure that you try this!

weight.png

sw-213.6/cw-213.6/gw-150

Start Date 4-27-10

I'm thrilled to have found this post as General Tso's is always a favorite in my house - even the picky, picky, picky eaters like it (which I always thought was weird), so I am definately going to try this one. Thanks!

I made this yesterday to rave reviews. I used toasted seseme oil and red wine vinegar since that is all I had on hand and it turned out wonderfully! This is definitely a keeper whether you are on WW or not!