Health Discovery Network
Guest Possum Magic

Cross stitch enthusiast

I love cross stitching. Unfortunately I have to put priorities in my life and exercise is one of them so between the house and everything else that has to be done I did not work on it. I actually started a project 2 years ago: I bought it at Walmart :the 4 seasons. I did 2 seasons and I started the third one, I would really like to finish it by Christmas, I would like to give it to my mom as Christmas present.

We will see.

Thanks for the thread, it has been long time since last time I thought about that

ciao

Teresa

sw kg 94.80 (208.8 lb) cw Kg 66.8 (147 lb)

1st gw: kg 83.00 (183 lb) 22 DEC 04:goal:

2nd gw:kg 75.00 (165.2) 30 MAY 05 :goal:

3rd gw: kg 70.30 (155 lbs) nov 06:goal:

4th gw: kg 67.50 (148.5 lbs) dec 06:goal:

last gw: kg 60.00 (132 lb)

" Non mollare l'osso"

MAUSINATOR ~ An ornament? I don't think I've ever seen that. But, I haven't ever really paid attention to cards. I'm going to have to look for that.

I've been cross-stitching for about 18 years now. My best friend taught me. Counted cross-stitch is all that I do. I don't like the stamped or embellished cross stitch. I'd rather do it with a plain piece of fabric. DMC is my favorite floss, too. I think the quality is better than the other brands. That's great that your Mom sends you stuff. We have a very limited choice around here, too. Not many stores carry cross-stitch stuff. I usually get most of my stuff from e-bay.

TERESILLA73 ~ I cross-stitch at night in front of the TV. It keeps my fingers busy so I don't feel like snacking. Nothing worse than dirty, snacky fingers on a clean peice of cloth! I have that 4 Seasons chart. I haven't done it, yet, but I really like it. I was planning on doing it for my Mother, too! I hope you can find time for it. It's a very rewarding feeling for me to stitch something and come out of it with something beautiful that some people may cherish for years.

Happy stitching everyone!

firechick139:wave:

sw 214/cw 194/wwgw 155/pgw 148

:D "DON'T WAIL ON THE SCALE IF YOU CHEAT WHEN YOU EAT!" :D

"Needing to lose 70lbs seems overwhelming to me. So, I'm going to lose 1lb - 70 times. That, I know I can do"

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."- Confuscious

Hi to all of you...

I love to cross-stitch too. I have a wedding sampler going right now for my daughter -- she picked out the pattern. It is really easy, but has a border of beads and I have never done beads before. We have a wonderful cross-stitch shop in our little town and I mentioned it to the manager, and she said it is easy to add the beads. She said to come in when I am ready and she will help me get started. I am a slow stitcher. I have a lot of patterns that I am looking forward to working on. I have 4 pamphlets with the 4 seasons and also a pamphlet with birds. I plan to retire September 30 and hope to get a lot done then.

When I started stitching many years ago I gave a lot of finished projects as gifts....lots of them. I have a nice number in my home too, but really gave away some neat ones. They were really appreciated -- hand made gifts are great.

This is a neat thread -- will be checking back.

Karen :) :) :)

========================================

Guest soon2bshapely

Ok fellow cross stitcher's....look at what i just found....

http://www.acrossstitchintime.com/images/04-1804.jpg

that's the design...this is her home page and the page that i got it from ( it's the last one listed at the bottom of the page)

http://www.acrossstitchintime.com/index.html

http://www.acrossstitchintime.com/sue_hillis_2.htm

If anyone decides that they are going to order it...could you please let me know as i'd be willing to share the expenses if you could mail me a copy of the chart since she doesn't like to send things to Canada :ugh:

Keep on stitchin...while stayon OP!!!

Bev

RIP 31.6lbs :walking:

To Firechick -- you should come to the tourist town of Berlin, Ohio. You are only about 2 hours away. We have an awesome shop for cross-stitch supplies, books, shirts, etc., etc., . I love going in there. They will help you too if you have questions.

KKT

Guest Lucille Van Pelt

I agree with you Firechick. I only do counted cross stitch too.

Ok fellow cross stitcher's....look at what i just found....

http://www.acrossstitchintime.com/images/04-1804.jpg

that's the design...this is her home page and the page that i got it from ( it's the last one listed at the bottom of the page)

http://www.acrossstitchintime.com/index.html

http://www.acrossstitchintime.com/sue_hillis_2.htm

If anyone decides that they are going to order it...could you please let me know as i'd be willing to share the expenses if you could mail me a copy of the chart since she doesn't like to send things to Canada :ugh:

Keep on stitchin...while stayon OP!!!

Bev

RIP 31.6lbs :walking:

I haven't looked at this thread in a while. I can't believe they have that in XS!!! I WANT IT!!!! I guess I'm going to have to look it up and see how much it is. I only looked at your one link that was the picture. Maybe I should have looked at the others before I posted!:embarrass But, I just get so excited when I see charts I REALLY want! Thanks so much for the link! I'll get back to you about ordering it ASAP!

"Needing to lose 70lbs seems overwhelming to me. So, I'm going to lose 1lb - 70 times. That, I know I can do"

To Firechick -- you should come to the tourist town of Berlin, Ohio. You are only about 2 hours away. We have an awesome shop for cross-stitch supplies, books, shirts, etc., etc., . I love going in there. They will help you too if you have questions.

KKT

Berlin, Ohio, huh? We were just in Columbus last weekend. Is it near there? I'm going to have to look on a map. That sounds like a great Saturday or Sunday mini trip. Are they open on weekends? We have NOTHING AT ALL around where I live. You have to go at least 30 miles to go to a half decent shop. I mean, there is a JoAnn Fabrics a little ways from here where I get my floss, but they have cut WAY down on their cross-stitch stuff and do not have many patterns. They have some kits, but never any I like! That's why I get most of my stuff on e-bay!

I agree with you Firechick. I only do counted cross stitch too.

Yes, I really don't like the stamped at all. Especially if the pattern shows through your stitches! And embellished, why even bother? I'll stick with counted, thank you very much! It may be a little tougher, but there is such a feeling of accomplishment when you are done.

Berlin, Ohio, huh? We were just in Columbus last weekend. Is it near there? I'm going to have to look on a map. That sounds like a great Saturday or Sunday mini trip. Are they open on weekends? We have NOTHING AT ALL around where I live.

Firechick,

Berlin, Ohio is just a two hour drive from Columbus. The shop is marvelous! I tried their punch-needle the other week, but need to finish my current project before starting another.

KKT

I love crafts and cross stitching sounds like so much fun! Can anyone recommend something for me? I am a beginner and just starting out so I won't want something too difficult!

Me-Liz (24) :work_out: Back after pregnancy!

240/188/120

Total lbs lost: 52

Total lbs left to lose: 68

Firechick,

Berlin, Ohio is just a two hour drive from Columbus. The shop is marvelous! I tried their punch-needle the other week, but need to finish my current project before starting another.

KKT

I looked it up and found 2 Berlin, OH's. Is it in Holmes County or Williams County?

How do you like the punch needle? I don't think I really have a desire to do it. I used to do latch hook a long time ago, but haven't for a long time. With punch needle, isn't it really easy just to pull the threads back out? They aren't attached to anything, right? So, the projects wouldn't be very durable?

I love crafts and cross stitching sounds like so much fun! Can anyone recommend something for me? I am a beginner and just starting out so I won't want something too difficult!

LIZ ~ I LOVE to cross-stitch, but you need to have LOTS of patience! Especially with counted cross stitch, where the design is not on the fabric. The process is very easy, though. All you do is make little x's with floss. I would start out with a pattern that has very minimal colors, though. Some of the more complicated peices can have 150 or more colors! The first project I ever did was a silouhette of a Native American that had ONE color. I got the technique down and moved on from there. There are lots of free patterns on the internet, too, that are not hard. I would recommend going to this site:

www.crossstitch.about.com

If you look down the left-hand border on there, it has a beginner's section that tells you step-by-step what to do. I could go on forever, here, with the different things you can do. It's best that you look for yourself. I have belonged to this site for a number of years, and they also have a great forum, with members that can answer almost ANY of your questions.

If you do use some of the freebies on the net, you will need to buy some fabric and floss, a needle, and a hoop. There are SEVERAL different kinds of each, so I will just tell you what I started out with. For floss, I always use 6-strand DMC floss. That is the most common kind and you can find it most places. For fabric, I started out with 14 count Aida (pronounced IEEda) cloth. Needles, I use size 24 tapestry needles, and for the hoop, I use one that is not too big that it is difficult to handle, but big enough for my design.

Cross-stitch is GREAT to get into, because it keeps your fingers busy, and you can't cheat by snacking on something while you're stitching, because you have to have really clean hands! Good luck and if you decide to start this addiction (it WILL become and addiction!) I will be HAPPY to talk with you about it!

P.S. Since I was a little late in responding, I'm going to PM this to you.

^thanks again for the info! I really appreciate it! I can't wait to get going!

Me-Liz (24) :work_out: Back after pregnancy!

240/188/120

Total lbs lost: 52

Total lbs left to lose: 68

Guest Shandril

ANother cross-stitcher here!

Two projects at the moment. Finishing up a really pretty Santa Claus that I am _determined_ will be done by Thanksgiving this year. (I probably started it 3 years ago or so.)

And then a really really huge pattern from Heaven and Earth Designs. Haven't worked on it in quite a while. I'm kind of scared to pick it back up.

Hi..... I am one to cross stich on something --really stay with it, and then I am out of the mood, and it lies there for months. I am working on a sampler for my daughter that I started 3 years ago. I do want to finish it SOON. My problem is that I have so many things I like to do, and my mood switches to other things and back, etc. Glad to hear I am not the only slow stitcher!

Karenkt

Guest Shandril

Exactly. I stitch in bursts.

Work on something 5 times a week for two months, then put it away and not stitch on anything for the next 5.

I used to be like that, too! Then I started doing WW and now I am stitching alot! That's another great thing about WW! It helps me get some Christmas presents done!;)

What is everyone working on? Right now I am working on "The Angel Of Healing" by Marilyn Leavitt-Imblum/Lavendar & Lace for my Grandmother. I tend to work on one thing until it is done before I start another, but this is going to take a while, so I might start a little one too, just to have some variety. It is going OK right now, but I can see some parts where it is going to be a REAL PITA!! Here is a pic of it:

LL-57.jpg

Guest HeatherSmith

Hi I thought I'd come by here since I LOVE to cross stitch. Right now I am making small stockings to go ontop of my christmas gifts. They only take me 2-3 nights watching TV to finish. I could not find any images online, but they are Approx. 26 stitches x 20 stitches. They are being stitched on perforated plastic. I'm also making backs for each of them so I can pop a candy cane inside. They do not include a pattern for the back, but I am just doing simple patterns to make it very fast.

That angel is a beautiful! I never seem to beable to finish the big ones. After christmas I have 2 birth ones to finish and another to start! Oh well I'll get there!

The big ones take me FOREVER, but it's such a feel of accomplishment when they are done! Those stockings sound cute! Is it just like plastic canvas? I've heard of perforated paper, but not perforated plastic.

I agree about the big ones. But then I see others I want to do and start them, and the big one waits. I have a big one -- a cottage that -- that has 97 colors. Don't know if it will ever get finished, but I hope. I haven't stitched for awhile -- just been busy with trying to de-clutter the house.

kkt

Guest HeatherSmith

The plastic looks just like the paper, but it holds up over time better! They are super cute. I am also toying with the idea of doing my christmas cards next year all cross stitched, but we'll see how inspired I am thru the year.

HEATHER ~ I've always wanted to do cross stitch Christmas cards for everyone, too, but was always so afraid of the person just throwing the card away. Too much work involved for that! Then one of our Buddies told me they make Christmas cards that are used for tree ornaments, too. I think that's a good idea! So, my quest has been to find some of those. I haven't been successful, yet. But, there are very limited cross stitch supplies around here.

KAREN ~ 97 colors is alot! The cottage isn't a Thomas Kinkade, is it? I know some of his charts go well over 100 colors!

No, it isn't a Kinkade one -- a friend of my stitched a winter Kinkade scene for me. I think she knew I would never get it done, and I love Kinkade's paintings. This is a Marty Bell or something like that -- it came out before they had Kinkade stitching pictures. Maybe now in retirement, I will get it done. Although I am working 1 day a week in a craft shop and learning to applique and also the needle felting stuff. Love it all. I am anxious for January and February -- the SLOW winter months to come along.

Karenkt