Health Discovery Network
cybergranny

OMG! Pictures with recipes!

a hodgepodge of recipes

Hi everyone! I have been collecting some of my favorite holiday and gathering recipes from appetizers to main dishes for busy days and getting them in MC so I don't have to go hunting through tons of cookbooks. I am on a kick at the moment of going through booklets. You know, the kind you get from the grocery check out aisle? Anyway, I thought I would share some of the point friendly ones here. The pictures all came from the booklets but rest assured that all these recipes come out looking exactly like the pictures except when I change the recipe and then they look even better!:p

* Exported from MasterCook *

91428772_dfafd41f19_m.jpg

Lite Cheesy Artichoke Spread

Recipe By :Pillsbury

Serving Size : 20 Preparation Time :0:00

Categories : Appetizers

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

-------- ------------ --------------------------------

14 ounces artichoke hearts -- packed in water, drained and coarsely chopped

1 cup sour cream, light

1/2 cup Hellmans Just 2 Good Mayonaise

1/2 cup parmesan cheese -- grated

2 tablespoons green onions -- sliced

1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

dash hot pepper sauce

Heat oven to 350°. In medium bowl, combine all ingredients; mix well. Spread in ungreased 9 inch pan, glass pie pan or shallow one quart casserole.

Bake for 18 to 24 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Serve warm with fresh vegetable dippers or on crackers. Store in refrigerator.

Source:

"Holiday Appetizers Booklet"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 33 Calories; 2g Fat (40.8% calories from fat); 2g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 2mg Cholesterol; 107mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : Makes 2 1/2 cups or 20 one ounce servings at 1 point per serving.

This is a real family favorite around here because we make it in a great big crock pot to have something around all day when family is coming in and out. Even picky children like this. I have to say though that I have even used a great big pork butt and chopped it into chunks for this dish and it is great. Be sure to remove as much fat as you can before cooking. It really helps if you are counting points!

91428810_d90c8e22b8_m.jpg

Polynesian Pork Ribs

Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00

Categories : Pork

***Ribs***

2 pounds pork country-style ribs

1 clove garlic -- minced

1 small onion -- sliced

8 ounces crushed pineapple in juice

***Sauce***

3/4 cup ketchup

3 tablespoons brown sugar

3 tablespoons hoisin sauce

1 teaspoon ginger root -- grated

Spray slow cooker with nonstick spray. Place ribs, garlic and onion in cooker. Spoon about half of the pineapple with some of the juice over rigs. Reserve remaining pineapple and juice.

Cover; cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.

About 35 minutes before serving, drain and discard cooking juices from cooker; wipe edge clean. In small bowl, combine ketchup, brown sugar, hoisin sauce, ginger and remaining pineapple with juice; mix well. Spoon or pour evenly over ribs. Increase heat to high; cover and cook 30 minutes or until ribs are glazed.

Source:

"The Slow Cooker Cookbook Booklet"

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 344 Calories; 20g Fat (51.1% calories from fat); 19g Protein; 24g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 71mg Cholesterol; 548mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 1/2 Fruit; 1 1/2 Fat; 1 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 8 points per serving but you can reduce the points by half using splenda/brown sugar, no sugar added pineapple and trimming the majority of the fat off the ribs before cooking.

Cleaning out the cooker and placing the ribs back in as described in the directions also cuts the fat.

We use this recipe for a change from my traditional deviled eggs. It is a nice switch and lower in points.

91428835_75a4baf2fd_m.jpg

Ranch Deviled Eggs

Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00

Categories : Appetizers Eggs

12 eggs

3 teaspoons ranch-style dressing mix

6 tablespoons Hellmans Just 2 Good Mayonaise

1 teaspoon dijon mustard

paprika

Place eggs in medium saucepan; cover with cold water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer about 15 minutes. Immediately drain; run cold water over eggs to stop cooking. Peel eggs; rinse.

Cut eggs in half lengthwise. With tip of knife, carefully lift out yolks; place in medium bowl. Mash with a fork. Add salad dressing mix, mayonnaise and mustard; mix well.

Spoon or pipe yolk mixture into egg white halves. Sprinkle with paprika. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes before serving. Makes 24 halves.

Source:

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 90 Calories; 6g Fat (61.6% calories from fat); 6g Protein; 2g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 212mg Cholesterol; 224mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 1 Lean Meat; 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2 points per serving.

This is a really lovely variation on roasted chicken, just to have something more 'dressed up'.

91428848_fec6a9e517_m.jpg

Roast Tarragon Chicken

Recipe By :McCormick

Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00

Categories : Poultry

3 pounds whole chicken

3 tablespoons olive oil

2 teaspoons minced garlic -- dried

1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 pound cherry tomatoes -- halved

8 small shallots

3 tablespoons fresh tarragon -- snipped

Place chicken, breast side up on a rack in a shallow roasting pan.

In a medium bowl stir together olive oil, garlic, tarragon,pepper, and salt. Add tomatoes and shallots ; toss to coat. Remove tomatoes and shallots; set aside. Brush the chicken with remaining mixture.

Roast chicken at 375° for one hour. During last 25 minutes, arrange shallots around chicken in pan. During the last 10 minutes, arrange tomatoes around chicken in pan.

Remove tomatoes, shallots, and chicken from pan. Cover chicken; let stand for 10 minutes before carving.

Serve with shallots and tomatoes and garnish with fresh tarragon.

Source:

"Flavors of the Season Booklet"

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 420 Calories; 30g Fat (65.5% calories from fat); 30g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 141mg Cholesterol; 207mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 4 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 3 1/2 Fat.

The kids and grandkids love these and they are so simple to make! Now that they have reduced fat crescents, you can even plan in one or two for you!

91428880_18db94e21e_m.jpg

Sausage Snack Wraps

Serving Size : 48 Preparation Time :0:00

Categories : Appetizers

2 cans crescent rolls

48 smoked sausage links, small

Heat oven to 375°. Separate dough into eight triangles. Cut each triangle lengthwise into thirds. Place sausage on shortest side of each triangle, roll up, starting at the shortest side; roll to opposite point. Place on ungreased cookie sheets.

Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown, switching position of cookie sheets halfway through baking. If desired, serve warm with ketchup and mustard.

Source:

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 58 Calories; 5g Fat (79.8% calories from fat); 2g Protein; 1g Carbohydrate; 0g Dietary Fiber; 11mg Cholesterol; 160mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 Fat.

Serving Ideas : If you use reduced fat crescent rolls, the points are reduced.

NOTES : 1 roll is 2 points, 2 rolls are 3 points.

This is probably my all time favorite appetizer! You can vary it so many ways! I use Alouette light spread with garlic and onion and you can have two tablespoons of this stuff for just one point! It is very good in these appetizers which are so simple to make. You can change the protein as you like. I have tried smoked ham, smoked turkey, imitation crab and they were all excellent. I think the shrimp is still my favorite though.

91428895_69fa3d6f0e_m.jpg

Shrimp and Crescent Pinwheels

Serving Size : 16 Preparation Time :0:00

Categories : Appetizers Fish and Seafood

1 can crescent rolls

1/3 cup whipped cream cheese -- flavored onion and chive is best

1/2 cup shrimp -- cooked and coarsely chopped

2 tablespoons green onion -- chopped

Heat oven to 350°. Spray cookie sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Unroll dough into two long rectangles. Firmly press perforations to seal. Spread each rectangle with cheese. Sprinkle each with shrimp and onions, press in gently.

Starting at short side of each rectangle, roll up tightly; gently press edge to seal. Cut each roll into eight slices. arrange slices, cut side down, on sprayed cookie sheet.

Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until edges are deep golden brown. Serve warm.

Source:

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 27 Calories; 2g Fat (57.8% calories from fat); 2g Protein; 1g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 15mg Cholesterol; 39mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 1 point per serving.

What can I say about this recipe? Hearty, healthy, very large portions and so good! It will stay warm all day in the slow cooker and anyone that drops by can have a bowl!

91428914_53acd6948a_m.jpg

Slow Simmered Beef Stew

Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00

Categories : Beef Crockpot and Pressure Cookers

1 1/2 cups baby carrots

2 medium potatoes -- peeled, cut into 1" pieces

1 rib celery -- cut into 1" pieces

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules

1 pound beef stew meat

1 cup water

1 cup frozen corn kernels

1 cup frozen green beans

In slow cooker, layer vegetables. Place bouillon, salt, pepper, and garlic in a plastic bag, add beef; coat. Add beef to slow cooker; Add water. Layer frozen corn and green beans on top.

Cover; cook on low for 6 to 8 hours. Stir before serving.

Source:

"The Slow Cooker Cookbook Booklet"

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 323 Calories; 11g Fat (29.5% calories from fat); 28g Protein; 30g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 62mg Cholesterol; 466mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 3 1/2 Lean Meat; 2 Vegetable; 0 Fat.

NOTES : 7 points per serving. These are almost 2 cup servings.

I like to add 8 ounces of sliced fresh mushrooms, one large sliced onion, and a couple of cloves of minced garlic. No change in the points, just more volume and flavor!

Barbara

~~~~~~~~

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cybergranny49/sets/

original starting weight 270

returned to WW Oct. 12, 2005

241.4/142/155

Celebrate what you've accomplished, but raise the bar a little higher each time you succeed.

Wow! What a great job you have done with all the recipes and pictures! One question though (and I apologize if it's already been explained). What does R-T-C mean when you are working with chicken? Thanks!

Anne

Bumping up!

I just made the Potato Cheddar Chowder (about half way down the first page) last week and am making it again tomorrow. YUM!!!

The Taco Pie is also a big favorite around here.

Thanks so much cybergranny!!

:bcb_up

Tiffany - My Pictures

Conceive * Believe * Achieve

Don't give up... don't ever give up

HW234/SW220/CW199.8/GW135

ONEderland - 6/6/05

1st 10% - 6/13

2nd 10% - 11/7

50 lb loss! - 1/30/06

Re-Start - 9/18/07

~ ~ *~ ~ * ~ ~ * ~ ~ * ~ ~ * ~ ~ * ~ ~ * ~ ~