Health Discovery Network
Guest no ka oi

brown vs white

Guest no ka oi

Is there really a big difference between white and brown rice? Need to go to Costco to buy rice and need convincing if brown is better. Thanks so much.

Guest Minelli0205

Technically brown rice is better because it is healthier but brown rice and white rice have the same amount of points on WW. I would go with the white rice only cause it tastes better.

Brown rice is much better for you! It's a whole grain with fiber intact that will keep you full longer. Go brown, choose brown! :D

273.8/266.8/164

restart 1 November 14

Guest sodacracker

love the brown rice. chewier and it is real rice with nutrition intaact - not processed empty carbs. jmho ;)

always go with brown!! it's so good for your body! i always cook mine in vegetable broth instead of water and it makes the biggest difference. very tasty!! give it a whirl!!

If not now, when?

www.ginacraig.com

I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with saints. (Billy Joel)

Guest hookbill

I'm not sure that all brown rice is whole grain (it may be) but I know that whole grain taste better then plain old white.

I get mine from Trader Joes in the freezer section they have Organic Whole Grain Rice that comes in two serving pouches. 3 minutes to microwave. Wonderful!

I've always been a white rice girl too, especially b/c the points are so close, if not the same, and when I tried cooking brown rice, it was a sticky, nasty disaster. I order it at restaurants though (the Wrap esp. -- they'll substitute it in any of their dishes), and I almost can't tell the difference.

Anyway, if anyone's like me, and can't seem to cook it right at all, Uncle Ben's started packaging pre-cooked pouches of brown rice that you just microwave for 90 seconds -- you don't have to add water or anything, and I like that, too. It's definitely worth trying if you're not sure about brown, b/c I thought I hated brown before I had it cooked correctly. :)

:salut Karen

Mom to 2 girls (Jun. '03 & May '07)

LT Member -- Lost 55 lb. in 2001

HW (12/2000)....182.2

PP (5/2007).......172

Recommit..........164

Current.............160.5 (-3.5)

Goal.................137

Guest no ka oi

Went with the brown rice and it cooks fine in my rice cooker. Don't care for the taste as well but ya know what - that's life. I like whole milk in my starbucks coffee but choose non fat. We all have to make choices and choose what we save our points for :D

Thanks for the help and the suggestions!

Klondy --- if it's any consolation at all, I used to *hate* brown rice. But now that I made it with broth and spices, I really like it. I think our taste buds change as we keep trying new things. :bcbsalute

273.8/266.8/164

restart 1 November 14

I do 1/2 and 1/2. It gives the stickiness and the flavor of both. Best of both worlds.

YIPEE

Guest no ka oi

Thanks Paris, I'll get veggie both next trip to the store. I'm also going to try the meatloaf you like.:)

I didn't know they made "healthy" prepared brown rice. I will be trying that. I, too, had never found a recipie that made the brown rice taste good. Thanks buds.

Amy-SAHM of 4

HW: 217

CW: 217

Starting WW's new plan (again for the millionth time) 1/2/12