Health Discovery Network
Guest JeniLyn

Which book did you read that you just COULD NOT put down?

I've read those Susan Howatch books (and Penmarric and Cashelmara) and enjoyed them very much.

Right now I'm reading Kevin O'Brien. He's written several suspense novels, and they're good!

Tish

Onward and Downward

Colm Toibín ~ The Blackwater Lightship A moving, poignant story of a dying man and his family's struggle to come to terms with it. This is one of my all time favourites.

(just had to plug an Irish author :bcb_grin)

Karen

"The Fountainhead" Ayn Rand ... 800 plus pages, I stayed up 24 hours to read the entire thing, by the way, I didn't eat either LOL

Mer

May you be filled with Loving Kindness ...

May you be well ...

May you be peaceful and at ease ...

May you be HAPPY ...

birdbye.gif

I am currently reading:

James Patterson = Alex cross series.

Other authors I like:

Maeve Binchey

Jodi Piccolt

Nicholas Sparks

I always have "8 minutes of meditation" in my car. I have been meditating for about ayear now and it is a great reference for when I am waiting to pick up the kids.

-Beckie

weight.png

I love this thread! So many good ideas.

My "could not put down" book was Kite Runner. (I'm also a big fan of Nora Roberts, but Kite Runner was all-encompassing.)

Calgal

Lifetime 3/22/01 174 (preWW)/166(sw)/131

Trying again after baby #1:

180 (highest pg)/145 (sw as of 7/1)/142 (cw)

Here we go again after baby #2:

182 (highest pg)/145 (current)

Guest maureenmac

Calgal, I read the Kite Runner too, loved it!!

Now, I have just finished The Protege by Stephen Frey, it was good, I had never read one of his before.

Next....is The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. I've read quite a few of his, but not this one. Tis pretty big! lol

I read the Kite Runner too over the holiday and really liked it. I bought One Thousand Splendid Suns on Friday and read practically the whole book on Sunday - finished it Sunday night. It was excellent.

Live, laugh, love and be happy.

Starting Weight: 237

Current Weight: 203.5

My Goal Weight: 180

Guest shihtzuX2

Ditto on The Da Vinci Code. A real page-turner...

Right now I'm reading "Someone Knows My Name" by Lawrence Hill. First-person account (novel, not biography) by an elderly African woman who was kidnapped from her village by slave traders and sent to America in the late 1700s.

Very poignant and interesting...

Right now I'm reading "The Other Boleyn Girl". Very good, I'm having a hard time putting it down.

Kim<BR>190/144/130

Bumping it up...

"I am pieces of all the places I have been,
and the people I have loved......"

– Brooke Hampton

Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen. Her debut novel, and a great book.

Tish

Onward and Downward

The Worst Hard Time by Timothy Egan

It's a book about the Dust Bowl. I never knew how horrible it had been, even though the DH's mother survived it, as did all of my birth grandparents. I think everyone should read it; if you have ancestors who survived the Dust Bowl it will mean a lot, but even if you don't, it's absolutely riveting.

"Sometimes it is not enough to do our best; we must do what is required." - Sir Winston Churchill

"Cowboys like girls with big calves" - Smokey and the Bandit

Lifetime January 2007

Current goal: 30 AP's a week/5 workouts a week

I am adding to this great post...

The Time Travelers Wife by Audrey Neffinger (romantic suspense...very very original story..the movie rights were purchased and I would be interested to see it come out on film).

The DaVinci Code (and all other Dan Brown books) - (that was also very original but most people have read by now)

The Dead Series by Charlaine Harris (paranormal romantic suspense - HBO is making a series coming out this fall based on this series - there are 8 books total right now - it is about a mind reading waitress in the south. I read the first one and went out and purchased the rest...our library had a few but I wound up getting about four from the book store).

The Dark Series by Christine Feehan (supernatural romantic suspense and very HOT...someone gave me one and I have been going through the series this summer)

ET<br />Where I started - 222.9<br />Where I am at Now - <br />Where I'm Heading (WW) - 150<br />Where I'm Heading (Personal) - 140

Memoirs of A Geisha by Arthur Golden

It was like traveling back in time and visiting Japan.

Carmen

The Lady in Green

"Nothing is particulary hard if you divide it into small parts." -Henry Ford-

"The Glass Castle" by Jeannette Walls is a must read, and I love anything by Jodi Piccoult and Harlan Coben.

Cindy

I really recommend Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides. He is such a great writer and this book is amazing. So far my copy has been passed around to five other readers and everyone loved it!

If you like mysteries -- Patricia Rushford's series "The McAllister Files" are so good! I am enjoying them -- in fact, I love them.

I also read the Karen Kingsbury books and the Neta Jackson books.

========================================

I could NOT put down The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. It was actually an assignment for my Humanities class but it turned out to be a book I would have read on my own and enjoyed anyway!

Angela

I could NOT put down The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. It was actually an assignment for my Humanities class but it turned out to be a book I would have read on my own and enjoyed anyway!

I have heard so many good things about this book! A friend loaned it to me and I have been putting off reading it. I guess it's about time to pick it up and start it.

Has anyone read The Shack? It's been highly recommended to me, but I haven't gotten to it yet.

Jill~~

Reputation is what men and women think of us. Character is what God and the angels know of us.

Guest moondragn9

My all time fav, is Gone With the Wind, no matter how many times I read I just can't put it down!

Genghis: Birth of an Empire by Conn Iggulden....fascinating reading for one interested in old-if-not-ancient cultures and the internal dynamics therein.

"I am pieces of all the places I have been,
and the people I have loved......"

– Brooke Hampton

I first read "To Kill a Mockingbird" when I was eight years old. I finished it in one weekend and to this day, it is still my favorite book. When I had to read it for school in the 5th grade, I told my teacher I had already read it and she didn't believe me. I told her the plot of the book and she was in shock.

I had a hard cover copy of it from my youth that was burned in a fire, but it doesn't matter. I would read it off my cellphone, I love that book so much.

I wonder if kids still have to read it. It was life changing.