Health Discovery Network
Paris Madeleine

If you were stranded on a desert island...

and you could only have three spices available to you to use forever, which spices would they be? :D

Right now I am in love with chipotle chile powder, oregano and Penzey's cake spice. I think it's because I love spicy and sweet foods the most, and oregano goes well with just about everything.

273.8/266.8/164

restart 1 November 14

You always ask the hard questions, Paris...! ;)

I couldn't live without: Herbs De Provence! My WW leader uses this in her vegetable soup (see "My Leader, Nancy's, Vegetable Soup") and it is an EXQUISITE spice. Talk about "going-with-everything"...!

I would need my "Pepper Supreme" mix of whole peppercorns (white/green/pink/red/black). It's the on-ly way to do pepper~ And I do a lot!

And, lastly, my whole nutmegs with my little spice-rasp. It's too cute. And I use the nutmeg in my baked oatmeal, oat pucks, muffins, etc.

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile

Greek oregano is definitely on the list! So's nutmeg, and my pepper grinder would also come along for the ride. :crazy:

Gaining Momentum and losing weight!

Cordy~ How's Greek Oregano different from regular? I grow oregano...maybe I should see if I can find a Greek plant?...

Paris~ Do you use the chipotle chili powder alone? Or in conjunction with other chili powder? (In chili, for instance~) I think I'm definitely going to have to get some! I love chili powder, and I love chipotle peppers in adobo sauce~ :)

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile

Carol, I'm not sure if I'm using the proper descriptive vocabulary, but Greek oregano is a bit more woodsy and less sharp than Italian oregano.

If we're island-hopping, we can't forget the necessary condiments - I'll bring the Asian chili sauce, hoisin and fish sauce.

Gaining Momentum and losing weight!

Carol -- I use chipotle both ways. I love to use it in mayonnaise, ranch dressing, mashed potatoes, hot chocolate and other chocolate baked good that could use a bit of a kick. It's not so much spicy as it is flavorful and complex. I also like to use it in conjunction with a prepared chili powder in chilis and/or half and half with cayenne when a recipe calls for cayenne alone.

273.8/266.8/164

restart 1 November 14

Good Thread!

If garlic counts, thats my number 1. I use it in everything! I am also a big fan of oregano, tell me more about this greek style stuff! And finally I would pick something for baking--maybe cinnamon or vanilla. Though I am undecided.

Kaitlin

Lifetime as of November 21, 2005 & getting back to goal!

HW - 185

GW - 145

CW - 158

Hmm, good question, Paris...

The first would be cinnamon, definitly. I even craved it while I was pregnant..

The second would be basil, a good allround herb that can be used for most anything without being too overpowering

and I think the third would be either summer savory, allspice, sage, or tarragon. I just can't choose as they are all wonderful.

I guess I'm pretty dull, but I like the old standards.

Jeannette

"I have searched for the phrase "I shall walk the Earth and my hunger will know no bounds", but I keep getting redirected to Weight Watchers." Ianto Jones, Torchwood

Hmmm...cumin, garlic & cinnamon!

Lisa

~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~

"How many times must you fall and then get back up before reaching the goal? Do it as many times as it takes." CW

Guest KrisD

Well, assuming that I'm getting my salt from the surrounding sea....

Thyme

Peppercorns

Penzey's Cake spice. I like this in Baked oatmeal and in lammy dishes.

If I could have 5 I'd also take saffron and fennel pollen, but then again...maybe oregano and dill.

Zut alors, Paris! I hope I don't get stuck on a desert island!

-k

Guest racegirl12

I would have to have my Tony Chachare's Cajun Seasoning, garlic, and basil! :)

Garlic for sure because I consider it a spice in granular form.

Emeril's Essence because you can put it on ANYTHING

And, the Penzey's cake spice because it has the cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and everything all in one! I have a lot of their salt free spices and use them on roasted veggies to change the taste each time I roast a batch.

Barbara

~~~~~~~~

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cybergranny49/sets/

original starting weight 270

returned to WW Oct. 12, 2005

241.4/142/155

Celebrate what you've accomplished, but raise the bar a little higher each time you succeed.