Health Discovery Network
lyfer98

Quinoa Black Bean Salad

Quinoa (kEEN-wah) is higher in protein than any other grain. Quinoa is a wheat free grain and contains all eight of the amino acids the body cannot produce and is rich in vitamins and minerals. Quinoa is chewy with a delicious, almost nutlike flavor and is available in health food stores and in many major supermarkets. (I found it in a supermarket).

Quinoa Black Bean Salad

1/4 cup quinoa

1 cup water

1 tsp. olive oil

4 tsp. fresh lime juice or more to taste

1/4 tsp. ground cumin

1/4 tsp. ground coriander

1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro

2 tablespoons minced scallions

1 1/2 cups cooked black beans (15-ounce can drained and rinsed)

2 c. diced tomatoes

1 cup diced bell peppers (any type you'd like)

2 tsp. minced fresh green chiles (I used canned)

salt and gound pepper to taste

Lemon or lime wedges

Rinse the quinoa well in a sieve under cool runnning water. In a saucepan, bring the water to a boil, add the quinoa, cover, and simmer on low heat until all of the water is absorbed and the quinoa is tender, about 10-15 minutes. Allow to cool for 15 minutes.

In a large bowl, combine the oil, lime juice, cumin, coriander, cilantro and scallions. Stir in the beans, tomatoes, bell petters and chiles. Add the cooled quinoa, salt and pepper and combine thoroughly. Refrigerage until ready to serve. Garnish with lemon or lime wedges.

4 servings

1 cup ea. = 4 points

Moosewood Restaurant Lowfat Recipes.

Bonnie

Returning Lifetime Member

The control center of my life is my attitude.

:bcb_march:bcb_march:bcb_march

(-7) - Week 1:bcb_bigsm