Health Discovery Network
LindaBC

Core Fruit Muffins

Guest sodacracker

You can use oat bran as a cooked cereal on its own or mixed with other cooked cereals, in baking as a replacement for flour. Anywhere you would use oatmeal. Oat bran is a great cholesterol fighter ( as are most oats). It is not like wheat bran which is larger and rougher flakes. Oat bean is more powdery and is lighter in colour.

Guest Momma Bird

Just made these with pineapple chunks, and frozen mango. They are wonderful!

Thank you for the recipe and I am anxious to make some. My only questions is this. I am new here and have not completed my first week yet. So I read each comment about the muffins and I see there is controversy about them being core or not being core. So which is it are they or not and if not how many points would I count/muffin as prepared the way the recipe reads? I have not used many points this week so I don't feel counting points would be an issue and these sound soooooo good.

Thanks for the clarification!!!! ;)

Never give up or look back,

:exercise: Mickee :exercise:

weight.png

HW: 238

WW: 8/18/06--210

GOAL: 130

I'm glad you folks are enjoying these muffins. I'm still baking a batch every week or two. I find I like the original version but with yogurt instead of ff evaporated milk because they are moister.

SW - 294 (Jan1/05)

GW- 150 (but I try not to focus on it)

Short Term GW (254 - or 40 lb loss)

CW - 274

I wanted to make these (and am in the process) but after reading all this, I got totally confused on my "allowed" grains. Can someone clarify for me?

oatmeal (rolled oats) - core but limited to once a day? This was listed under "hot cereals" and was supposed to be limited.

steel cut oats - core, not limited?

barley, groats, bulgar, etc. - core, not limited?

I guess the big one I'm concerned about it "rolled oats" or oatmeal. Like the Quaker ones in the cylinder box. I thought they were eat till satisfied, not once a day. Now I think I may be wrong..............:(

I see all these recipes that say "oats" (especially the baking recipes) and they are listed as Core recipes. What oats are being used? I just assumed oatmeal. If oatmeal is limited, does that mean that if I made "baked oatmeal" I could only have one serving per day?

Oh help! :help:

JK

Guest Rose_Gamgee

Oats (oatmeal) is eat until satisfied. Rolled oats are the kind in the cylinder (also called old fashioned oats) there are also steel cut oats which are just that, the whole grain cut up (rather than flattened = "rolled") Eat your oatmeal as often as you like and until you feel satisfied.

The question regarding this recipe is about the grinding of the "oatmeal" into flour. WW says this makes the oats non-core. Some people are able to "tweak" the rules in this way and still be successful others are not, or choose not to "tweak" the program.

Of course, you could make these and count the points too. I believe an earlier post puts them at about 3 points per jumbo muffin.

Thanks! So, as long as it's not the "rolled" oats, I'm okay. Got it.

I made the muffins, I'm eating half of one right now. They are delicious but HUGE! 1/2 is fine! I made them with pineapple and raspberry. Very nice. I also used fructose rather than Splenda for the first time and am pleasantly surprised. I had read somewhere on this board that fructose was core and was so happy to be able to try something else! (I don't like splenda's taste). Anyway, they are very good and no bad splenda taste (for me, at least). These will be wonderful with a cup of tea. NO more than a couple a week for me, these could be a trigger. My husband wanted me to make core muffins that he can pop in the microwave in the morning and eat on the way to work. These will be perfect, if he likes them. Will find out tonight!

Thanks again!:water1:

JK

Guest Rose_Gamgee

I'm sorry, I guess I wasn't clear before. All oats are eat until satisfied whether you call them oats, oatmeal, steel cut, old fashioned, or rolled.

No, it's me who's not clear............I guess I was just confused b/c I could have sworn it said in my WW kit (at the bottom of that little dry erase thing they give you to track your points) that cereal like shredded wheat and hot cereals, like oatmeal, must be limited to once per day. I also don't see oats on my basic core food list (I have the 11/04 food companion) although I do see barley, quinoa, bulgur, etc. So I figured that oats may be core, just a limited core, kinda like potatoes or brown rice. It totally didn't make sense based on all these recipes I'm reading, so I'm going with the advice rather than what I THINK I'm interperting from the book.

Thanks! Now I feel MUCH better about these muffins!

:water1:

JK

I made these yesterday but used mixed fruit sweetened with Splenda in lieu of the pineapple tidbits (didn't have the pineapple). These were wonderful. My two nieces, ages 1 & 2, loved them. Thanks for this great recipe.

wwnUztp

LOVE & BLESSINGS

GAIL

Be faithful, be strong, be diligent.....

it's only good news if told in time.

Guest kelleyp

I have to thank you, Linda. I have been on Core for three weeks, down 9.4 lbs, and I can practically single handedly THANK YOU FOR THIS RECIPE hugely contributing to my success on Core! :buddysmoo

Prior to Core, I have gotten a Starbucks muffin and coffee every morning for a couple of years. For some reason, protein (eggs, etc.) just gross me out first thing. I have never thought I could do Core and give up my muffin! I now have one of your muffins every morning. They are so good and hearty, but delicious! Not to mention a ton more healthy without the sugar, all the fiber, fruit, etc.

I make them with half the pineapple ( I don't love pineapple but it gives it good moisture) and one large ripe banana. I also add frozen blueberries and raspberries. Yum!

Thanks again! And I will keep updating my success!

Gosh, I'm so thrilled that so many of you like the muffin recipe.

About the controversy regarding the blending of oatmeal to make an oat flour. You actually don't have to do it for this recipe to work. Yes, it makes the texture more like "normal" muffins, but even if you don't use the resulting oat flour, the muffins are still good...just a bit more grainy...which is not a bad thing. When I don't blend the oatmeal into flour, I allow the grains to soak about 15 minutes longer before putting into the muffin cups and baking.

I love that you are experimenting with different fruits, etc to customize the recipe to suit yourselves.

Yes, about 3 pts per jumbo muffin is about right, I think.

You can make these in regular muffin tins too, but cut your baking time by about 10 minutes if you do.

SW - 294 (Jan1/05)

GW- 150 (but I try not to focus on it)

Short Term GW (254 - or 40 lb loss)

CW - 274

Bump... going to try these! They sound great!

Kay :bcb_wink3

HW- 192

SW- 164 4-14-08

LW- 149 7-30-08

CW- 161.6

Personal Goal- 135

I made these tonight and they were great they didn't taste core at all. I made a few changes for the blended oatmeal, I used 3 pks(3 pks = 1 cup blended) of Quaker weight control oatmeal in banana bread flavor . I didn't have any pineapple on hand so I used baby prunes (2 pks of 2.5 oz gerber ). I also used 5 grain cereal and used chopped strawberries for the fruit. They are really good !

Thanks for the recipe

Linda, this recipe sounds really good AND healthy. :D

I'd like to give them a try, but am sure I will have to freeze them - to be safe!!! Hopefully I won't over do.

Thanks for sharing it.

Diane

237 - 1/3/6

198.8 - 12/30/08

"Live each day as if it's the BEST day of your life!"

Guest divinroatan

I was looking through old recipe listings and came across this one.

bumping it up!