Health Discovery Network
lyfer98

Pickled Baby Carrots

I just came across a wonderful, easy recipe for pickling baby carrots that would be a great snacky thing to bring or serve at a cookout. I get so tired of just plain baby carrots and when I made these, not only did I love them, but my kids did too.

Bring 1/2 c. cider vinegar; 1 garlic clove (I used 3); 1 teaspoon each salt, dill seeds (I used dill weed), and sugar to a boil in a nonaluminum saucepan. Add 2 cups (1 bag) baby carrots and simmer 5 minutes; remove from the heat and let steep at least 20 minutes or up to 2 hours. Drain, discarding the liquid and garlic.

Points = 0

I just used a covered glass casserole dish and did it in the microwave. As soon as I took the dish out, I put it in the fridge so the carrots didn't get overcooked. They were nice and crisp when ready to eat.

Bonnie

Returning Lifetime Member

The control center of my life is my attitude.

:bcb_march:bcb_march:bcb_march

(-7) - Week 1:bcb_bigsm

Guest Debnicu

These sound great. Do you know if you could do this with green beans. I used to have dilly green beans, when I had a job as a governess(many years ago). They were wonderful, but haven't been able to find them. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I'd like to know if you can use this same method on kirby cucumbers. Also, when I store them in the refrigerator, can I store them in some of the liquid? :help: Summer is fast approaching and this would be a great idea for our picnics at the marina!

:bcbsalute MT

:salut MT

a18ec6f08b2b3ca.gif

I don't see why you couldn't use the same recipe for green beans, however I don't believe this recipe is designed to keep veggies for very long. In other words, you could pickle the beans, carrots, etc., but you'd want to eat them within a few days.

The only two items I can in the summer are pickles and dilly beans-funny that you both should ask about those particular veggies. IMO, the ONLY time to do both is later in the summer when the beans, cukes and most especially the dill are freshly harvested. For me, living in the Northeast, that's more like late June, early July. I am a craft vendor at a local Farmer's Market, so I'm spoiled and buy my produce right from my fellow produce vendors. That is when everything is the best. It really does make a difference when you use produce that is freshly picked, at it's prime harvest time.

I have recipes for both the pickles and dilly beans if you'd like them. I think I can dig them out fairly easily (my recipes are completely disorganized-like me sometimes!). Remember that the canning process takes a long time-usually a whole day for me as I like to make 15-20 quarts of each. The pickles need to sit in a brine water for 24 hours prior to canning.

If you want the recipes, let me know.

Bonnie

Thanks Bonnie~

I think I will try both the carrots and the cukes with this simple recipe. The simplicity of the recipe is what got me interested!! I'm not worried, because I know they will not stay in this house for more than a few days!!! I have no access to farmers markets, but sometimes my vegetable store has great sales on things. It's always good to have recipes available for those sale items. That's how I do most of my meal planning and shopping (sales and coupons). My mom and I are craft venders also! Maybe one day our paths will cross. Thanks again.

:bcbsalute MT

:salut MT

a18ec6f08b2b3ca.gif

Guest Debnicu

Bonnie, I would love the recipe. My DBIL is a farmer and grows dill. I will definately have to try to can these. TIA

Ok-give me a week to dig the recipes out....it's dance recital week at my house for my two girls (9 & 11), and we are out every night but Wed., which is my WI night.

I'll post them probably in the appetizers and beverages thread and/or on the vegetarian thread. Hummm..... I notice we don't have a thread for just veggies. Oh well, thanks for your input and interest. I'm always happy to share great OP recipes.

Bonnie

I tried the recipe with green beans and they were GREAT!. :) I bought a pre-packaged, pre-washed bag of green beans and just threw the beans in, instead of the carrots. Really tasty. You do need to eat them up fairly quickly but that wasn't a problem in my house.

I haven't forgotten the canning recipes but just haven't gotten to it yet. Keep your eyes on this forum for them soon.

Bonnie

Guest Tattyfatty

Lyfer, sounds great, but you didnt say how much sugar? or would splenda work as well?

Thanks,

David

David, the sugar amount was just a little hidden.

1 teaspoon each salt, dill seeds (I used dill weed), and sugar

I don't know if I'd use Splenda because it's such a small amount of sugar. But it may be fine too. If you make these and use the Splenda, let me know how they turn out.

Bonnie

Guest Tattyfatty

Ooops! Feel dumb now, now I see it, will let you know how it is with the splenda though.

Thanks,

David