Health Discovery Network
Guest baybrat

What to do with Bulgur?

Guest baybrat

Hi guys, I have a bag of Bulgur, what can I make with it that is CORE?

Guest sodacracker

I take 1 cup bulgur and 2 cups water put it in a big glass bowl and microwave for 5 minutes. Cover and let sit on the counter until all the water is absorbed. I put it in the fridge and use some as a side grain instead of rice, add some to yogurt with some fruit for a healthy snack, stir "fry" it with some vegetables, beans and seasonings for dinner. Pretend it is rice and do the same things with it. I also like the creamy bulgur breakfast referred to above.

Taboleh is great! I use two cups of bulgur, four cups of broth and nuke it for about 3 to four minutes. Set it aside to cool and absorb all the liquid and add 1/2 cup fresh parsley, 1/2 cup chopped green onions, 1 cup chopped tomatoes, 1 cup peeled and seeded cucumber chopped, 1 large clove garlic minced, juice of one lemon and a bit of EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)and fresh ground pepper to taste. Stir it all together and chill. Makes a great refreshing side dish.

You can use cilantro instead of the parsley or in addition to it.

You can add any fresh chopped veggie that you like. I sometimes add broccoli, cauliflower, or squash (yellow or zucchini).

Barbara

~~~~~~~~

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cybergranny49/sets/

original starting weight 270

returned to WW Oct. 12, 2005

241.4/142/155

Celebrate what you've accomplished, but raise the bar a little higher each time you succeed.

Guest BluSpringsGal

Where do you find bulgar in the store.....around the cereal isle maybe?

I get mine at a health food store that is very reasonable and I can buy it in bulk. In a pinch, you can go to the cereal aisle of just about any grocery and where the hot cereals are you will find a local brand of bulgur packaged like cream of wheat.

Barbara

~~~~~~~~

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cybergranny49/sets/

original starting weight 270

returned to WW Oct. 12, 2005

241.4/142/155

Celebrate what you've accomplished, but raise the bar a little higher each time you succeed.

I still have the bag of bulgur that I bought a few weeks ago, I need to make something with it, but I think I am afraid to. :embarrass

:exercise:Babyphat:exercise:

gotta get rid of the babyphat

sw 181.5

cw 162

gw 140

tl 19.5

Babyphat~

I'm gonna' hold your hand. :buddysmoo This is going to be easy. And this is going to be fun! :)

1. Rinse 2 cups of bulgar in a strainer.

2. Find an 8 cup Pyrex glass measuring cup (or a 2 quart microwave-oven-safe bowl) and put 2 cups of rinsed bulgar into 4 cups of just-boiled chicken broth (or water).

3. Heat on "high" for 15-20 minutes (or until broth is completely absorbed).

4. Let sit for 5 minutes.

5. Fluff and eat.

This BIG bowl of bulgar should be as "scary" to you as a BIG bowl of rice! :eek: ;)

Now. Make your bulgar, and then please come back here and tell us all what you think. :bcbsalute We're wait-ing... :angel

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile

:lol: Okay! I'll try.

Update, I made it last night, but I made 1/2 a recipe. It was alright. Not quite as good as white rice, but better than brown rice. definately a doable food. Thanks!

:exercise:Babyphat:exercise:

gotta get rid of the babyphat

sw 181.5

cw 162

gw 140

tl 19.5