Health Discovery Network
linbein

Soy and Thyroid deficiencies?

Hey everyone! :help:

I have a general question, was wondering if anyone has heard of this or not. I have been diagnosed with Hashimoto's Syndrome (form of hypothyroid, autoimmune disease where my body is actually attacking my thyroid), so I take synthroid. But my metabolism is still pretty slow. I have been eating a lot of soy, thinking it was healthy for me. And some of it is low in points. I eat soy chips, we have Boca burgers at least 2 times a week, and I have a glass of vanilla soy milk every night. I read yesterday that people with hypothyroid disorders should stay away from soy because it can have a detrimental effect on your thyroid, resulting in even less thyroid production. I have been losing really slowly lately, and now I"m wondering if this might be why. Maybe the soy has had enough of an impact that it's slowing my metabolism even more, resulting in these little 0.4, 0.8 losses.

Has anyone heard of this or does anyone have any suggestions? I think I'm going to go ahead and cut out the soy and see what happens.

THANKS!

Linette

Lifetime: 2/9/06

SW: 187

GW: 150 I got down to 142 at my lowest weight...

Re-dedicating myself as of 01/04/11 NewSW:190

CW: 173.0 (-17.) WOOT!!! (08/01/2011)

Proud mommy to Kiley Alyssa 6/25/03 and Marisa Gail 2/20/08

There's a lot of anti-soy hype out there, HOWEVER, the connection between soy and thyroid problems is real. I would talk to your doctor about this and/or ask one of the reputable organizations that deal with thyroid conditions. I know that it is recommended that people with certain thyroid conditions limit or omit completely soy products from their diet. Perhaps someone with your thyroid condition can post more, but I would be very cautious about your soy intake because of your thyroid issues.

40 lbs down, 35 to go!:headover:

Throw the soy away! As many health benefits as it may have, it is VERY detrimental to a thyroid patient! It further supresses thyroid function which is already low in Hashi's. There are also veggies that you need to cook and other foods that are goitergens(sp?) Go to about.com and search for Mary Shomon. There is a list of foods that may cause problems. But please remember, it is a your mileage may very on the foods. Onions for example really mess me up when raw, but are fine when cooked. I know cauliflower is another one that should be cooked.

HTH

Kim

Restart 02/25/2012 at 268

Yep, Yep and Yep. I also have Hashi's, and while it doesn't cause it, it can worsen it. Sorry! I avoid soy, but I don't freak out if I consume any if it happens to be in something.

FYI, I think your child is ADORABLE! :D

:exercise:Babyphat:exercise:

gotta get rid of the babyphat

sw 181.5

cw 162

gw 140

tl 19.5

Thanks so much girls. I'm definitely going to start trying to limit my soy intake now. We'll switch to veggie burgers instead of the soy burgers...and I'll just eat some rice cakes instead of the soy chips. And no more vanilla soy for me. So, this probably has been hindering my weight loss, and here I thought I was doing something good for myself.

Oh, and babyphat, thanks, we think she's adorable too. :) But don't let that cute little face fool you. she's a stinker!!

Linette

Lifetime: 2/9/06

SW: 187

GW: 150 I got down to 142 at my lowest weight...

Re-dedicating myself as of 01/04/11 NewSW:190

CW: 173.0 (-17.) WOOT!!! (08/01/2011)

Proud mommy to Kiley Alyssa 6/25/03 and Marisa Gail 2/20/08

Guest metalchick

wow, i never knew - i have a low thyroid also

well, i always liked rice dream better anyways

are there any other foods that do this?

I have hypothyroid also and right on my synthroid printout, it says to avoid soy.

Roseann

Start:261.0 Current: Goal 150.00 (?)

:bcb_march:bcb_drill:bcb_march

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending.- Anonymous

Guest metalchick

so this is going to mean no veggie meats :sobbing:

I have the same condition you have. Not only do you need to limit soy (my nutritionist allows me 2 servings a week) but also raw veggies like broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower and stuff in that family. Same deal - inhibits the thyroid. They are fine when they are cooked.

Susan<br /><br />356/155/166

Success comes in cans; failure comes in can'ts.

so this is going to mean no veggie meats :sobbing:
You can use veggie meats that are not soy-based.

Many veggie burgers are grain, nut, or (non-soy) bean based. Look at the ingredient lists--there are options.

Seitan (wheat gluten) is also used to make mock meats. White Wave is the biggest brand, found in both the refrigerated and the frozen section. They make "chicken" and "beef" strips that are ready to use in stir-fries, burritos, etc. No soy, very high in protein and fiber and super simple to cook! :)

40 lbs down, 35 to go!:headover:

Also have to watch grapefruit and gf juice consumption when on synthroid.

:) Susie :)

SW 266/CW 231/GW 150

Total lost: 35 pounds:D

Started WW 5/31/05

Reached 1st 10% goal 9/6/05

Guest BluSpringsGal

I just saw this thread today and was shocked to read about soy and the effect on thyroid.

I've taken Synthroid for years. I was about 19 when I was tested for low thyroid and have taken meds ever since.

Milk makes me cough so I switched to soy milk. I won't be buying it any more. I've tried the rice milk and it was fine on cereal. Guess I'll start using that again. I've never liked milk as a drink except chocolate milk and it's too high in points.

Interesting about the raw veggies too.

Jo